Fun at the 3100 Mile Race!

  • ahelee_sf
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2003
      Some fun and amazing things I saw at the 3100...

      Monsoon rain! 5 times in a day! Everyone drenched in seconds.
      The boy runners carry umbrellas - always.
      Suprabha never carries an unbrella. Rain jacket and a cap only.
      Easier on the arm and balance.

      Namitaba and Andreas ride a bike to the race at 5:45am and home when
      they are finished running - everyday!! On the way home one night,
      from the car, we watched Namitaba "crank" up the 84th Drive hill
      after finishing 60+ miles of running that day! HOW does he do that!!

      Sometimes race walking is faster than running...

      If you go out to "run along" with a 3100 mile runner and he/she is
      running, YOU MUST run too! Even if they are running slow, never walk
      along next to them!

      Eat the food that gives you joy 3100 runners- it burns off so fast in
      the 3100 Mile Race, does it have time to do alot of harm for all the
      joy it provides? Avocados and ice cream have my votes!

      One day a 3100 runner might be feeling slower than the slowest but lo
      and behold, the next day they are cruising round and round the course
      non-stop running!

      10 minute cat-naps are a recovery secret of these 3100 runners...

      I'm quite sure the 3100 Runners need to eat more! Or maybe I need to
      eat less? I'm pretty sure I still eat more than they do! Can it be
      true?
      It seems like the biggest issue is trouble eating enough food to
      maintain energy. Nearly every lap, the 3100 runner takes a bite of
      something and a drink - maybe it adds up after all the hours. But
      still it can't be enough. Or can they EVER eat enough? As a helper or
      support person, it is the biggest hurdle to present and convince our
      3100 runner to eat. I think Suprabha often took a big bite of
      something just to see US smile!!

      There are already people being asked and committing to running the
      3100 Mile Race in 2004. Can you imagine yourself doing something like
      this? After reading Matt's story of willingness to come and try with
      little time to spare from Australia, it shows just how grace can
      work. Maybe even a small inspiration this year will grow to a
      committment and goal for next year!

      See everyone soon!
      _
      Ahelee