OT - Personal Reflections Part 2

  • srichinmoyinspiration
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2005
      Thank you all for the opportunity to be of some small service. The
      past year has been a fantastic learning experience, one for which
      I'm extremely grateful.

      Lately I've been feeling selfish for continuing to hold onto the
      reins when there are so many other people with ideas for new
      projects and new directions that the group might take. I've been
      fortunate to be able to bring the group a short distance on its
      journey. Now I feel the time is right to give others a chance to see
      what they can do.

      Thanks to all of you who have made my time as assistant moderator a
      very rewarding experience. It took me a while to let go, realizing
      how much I will miss you all! Some of you have moved me far more
      than you can imagine.

      The daily experience of signing on has added some spiritual
      discipline to my life which would otherwise be lacking. I hope I can
      find a way to continue that very positive influence - maybe as a
      reader and occasional poster.

      As regular readers know, I've tried to make the board entertaining
      and fun, with an emphasis on original articles written in a natural,
      jargon-free style. I hope that tradition continues.

      I've also been very concerned about the problem of harassment of
      spiritual groups which are harmless, benign, and have no history of
      abuse. This has made me rather cautious, and I'd like to apologize
      again to anyone I've offended by my heavy-handed style of
      moderation. My intentions were always good. Now, as others bring new
      dynamism and inspiration to the group, it's up to them to offer new
      guidance. I have every confidence they will do a super job!

      Sri Chinmoy Centre has always been a small, sincere spiritual group.
      Much of the general public doesn't know anything about this path,
      and as I discussed in message #4413, there are people who
      consciously and intentionally try and misrepresent Sri Chinmoy's
      life and teachings. So one of the things we've been doing here
      online - aside from sharing daily experiences, poetry and humor - is
      introducing Sri Chinmoy's path to the general public.

      I'm very grateful that people responded to the call to bring out
      their natural sincerity in discussing their own lives. I know I'm
      not the only one concerned with communicating clearly and honestly.
      One person wrote to me:

      "I am very, very proud of our disciples and feel very privileged to
      belong to this community. It would be rare to come across another
      group of people in this world who are so essentially good and have
      such a strong spirit. But we are introverted. When we write it is
      often as if we were writing our personal diaries. The language or
      the concepts are not what is used by the rest of the world. We
      punctuate our sentences with 'gratitudes' and like to discuss topics
      such as 'eternal nows.' So now we have to train ourselves to think
      what is it that interests the reader... [W]e hope that ... we may be
      able to have an afternoon to talk about such things with our
      writers. The focus of this workshop would be to help us write for
      others -- with the view of getting it published."

      I applaud such efforts and feel this is something very, very
      positive.

      Anyway, thank you for bearing with me as I share these parting
      thoughts. I look forward to seeing all the progress you are making.

      Sometimes when friends part, they say "Until we meet again." I like
      that because it holds out hope that they *will* meet again. If I
      only said "Goodbye," it would hurt too much. So with much love in my
      heart, I will say "Until we meet again." I will miss you all very,
      very much!

      Warmest wishes to all friends and contributors,

      Assistant Moderator

      [Note: This concludes my duties as A.M. All subsequent postings and
      emails will be read by the next moderator(s).]

      Seafarer (for the Bhajan Singers)

      I have come to this shoreline
      To think about my life
      Leaving the dust of the city far behind
      And lo! the spiritual mendicants have come!
      In a golden boat, singing songs of Thakur*,
      Making barely a ripple,
      They are spreading all hope and joy.

      Now strolling upon the very banks,
      And on the shining green swards
      Among the sleepy townsfolk,
      With hearts singing:
      "Do you want to see the Golden Shores of
      the Beyond?
      The city has played its role;
      There is nothing left for you there.
      Become a seafaring man!
      Sail with us from shore to shore
      Gathering the weary souls who have seen
      everything but Truth.
      Leave behind your father's skeleton
      And the girl with the long black hair
      Who sang a cherry tree carol
      But would never pray,
      Not even by accident."

      Now singing "Kanu, Kanu,"
      A song of the child Krishna,
      They enchant everyone with innocent fun.
      The once-distant strains
      Now sound within my very heart,
      And my soul is traveling
      Far, far down the water
      Where all boats and all travelers meet
      In Immortality's effulgence-sun.

      *Sri Ramakrishna, the Thakur of Dakineshwar
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 31, 2005
        I officially declare the humility competition over.

        and the winner is.....

        The Assistant Moderator!

        Your modesty and innate spirituality do not allow you to say more, but
        I must say that what you have done for us is more than "some small
        service". And yes, although every spiritual person who serves feels
        that the real doer is God, that we are just His instruments,
        nevertheless, the willingness to be an instrument and to serve must be
        aknowledged.

        I am deeply grateful to you for your "loving service" (that darn
        phrase keeps haunting me!), for the wisdom shared, the humor, the
        beautiful poetry, but most of all, for your wonderful human touch.

        In an age where, in spite of, or maybe because of, great advances in
        technology, people do not always communicate properly, with substance
        and courtesy, much less with proper literary or conversational
        etiquette and grammar.

        Like in that famous movie, "The Never Ending Story", the "nothing" is
        enveloping the world, and unless we believe in our soul, the world
        will be dooomed. It is this fundamental lack of substance, and the
        ensuing efforts to compensate for it in artificial ways, that creates
        so many problems in this world of ours, and makes us look less human
        in the process.

        Like Sri Chinmoy says in one of his poems,

        "I am suffering from myself
        Because I am not desperately seeking for myself."

        Our deepest, luminous and fulfilling reality is often clouded by our
        more superficial being.

        In this context, I thank you from the depths of my heart for all you
        have done for this group. It is my fervent hope that the work we do
        here will inspire more people to look within, and find their deepest,
        highest self, the best in themselves, so they can in turn inspire
        others through their own example.

        As they say in the Chandogya Upanishad,

        "There is a Spirit that is mind and life, light and truth and vast
        spaces. He contains all works and desires and all perfumes and tastes.
        He enfolds the whole universe, and in silence is loving to all."

        "This is the Spirit that is in my heart, smaller than a grain of rice,
        or a grain of barley, or a grain of mustard-seed, or a grain of
        canary-seed, or the kernel of a grain of canary-seed. This is the
        Spirit that is in my heart, greater than the earth, greater than the
        sky, greater than Heaven itself, greater than all these worlds."

        "He contains all works and desires and all perfumes and tastes. He
        enfolds the whole universe and in silence is loving to all. This is
        the Spirit that is in my heart, this is Brahman."
        -from the Chandogya Upanishad

        What nobler enterprise, then, than to inspire people to know that
        which is inside their heart of hearts, the true essence of life? This
        is the fountain of universal love, of real oneness, of harmony and
        joy. This is the source of all art and music, and all that is good
        inside us and ouside of us. This is the light of our eyes...

        Again, my gratitude to you for all you have done not just for us, but
        for the whole world.

        In oneness, Kamalakanta

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, srichinmoyinspiration
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        > "Do you want to see the Golden Shores of
        > the Beyond?
        > The city has played its role;
        > There is nothing left for you there.
        > Become a seafaring man!
        > Sail with us from shore to shore
        > Gathering the weary souls who have seen
        > everything but Truth.
        > Leave behind your father's skeleton
        > And the girl with the long black hair
        > Who sang a cherry tree carol
        > But would never pray,
        > Not even by accident."
        >
        > Now singing "Kanu, Kanu,"
        > A song of the child Krishna,
        > They enchant everyone with innocent fun.
        > The once-distant strains
        > Now sound within my very heart,
        > And my soul is traveling
        > Far, far down the water
        > Where all boats and all travelers meet
        > In Immortality's effulgence-sun.
        >

        > *Sri Ramakrishna, the Thakur of Dakineshwar
      • arpan_deangelo
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 31, 2005
          Dear (former) A.M.(or should it now be P.M.? ..sorry)

          Thank You for your selflessness, humour, kindness, willingness,
          intelligence, aspiration, sympathy, empathy and courage.

          I could say that I, as well as most readers and contributors here on
          this forum, seem to know you quite well, even though we have never
          properly met you except in the virtual world. Regardless, we have all
          had very deep and meaningful exchanges of the mind, heart and soul
          that will never be forgotten or lost.

          I am sure your journeys will take you very far in your search for the
          Highest and in your yearning for the greater good of humanity. I, as
          well as many others here, cannot thank you enough for the enormous
          task you have taken on in the past two years. You have played your
          part well beyond expectation I am sure, even though you may feel at
          times that much more could have been accomplished.

          Only you can know what is expected of you as you continue your travels
          through this sometimes paradoxical reality. On this section of your
          journey you have offered your heart and soul in trying to share the
          Light that is offered to us all as we seek the Highest Truth, Light or
          God. Through the Inspiration of Sri Chinmoy and those who find in
          themselves the creative urges to express their experiences here as
          well, you have helped us all to develop this forum which will always
          be indebted to you for your contributions.

          As you said, it is not a 'goodbye' really, so for now I am offering
          you a familiar greeting as well,"Happy trails to you, until we meet
          again." I am sure you will still appear from time to time as well.

          Gratefully,
          Arpan

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > "Do you want to see the Golden Shores of
          > the Beyond?
          > The city has played its role;
          > There is nothing left for you there.
          > Become a seafaring man!
          > Sail with us from shore to shore
          > Gathering the weary souls who have seen
          > everything but Truth.
          > Leave behind your father's skeleton
          > And the girl with the long black hair
          > Who sang a cherry tree carol
          > But would never pray,
          > Not even by accident."
          >
          > Now singing "Kanu, Kanu,"
          > A song of the child Krishna,
          > They enchant everyone with innocent fun.
          > The once-distant strains
          > Now sound within my very heart,
          > And my soul is traveling
          > Far, far down the water
          > Where all boats and all travelers meet
          > In Immortality's effulgence-sun.
          >

          > *Sri Ramakrishna, the Thakur of Dakineshwar
        • shane_dublincentre
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
            Dear Sumangali and AM,

            No suitable expression of thanks to the pair of you for what you have
            done here had found its way to me yet, I'm relying it to pop out
            naturally of its own accord in the middle of the post somewhere....

            It is a little unfortunate that the pair of you went at the same time,
            but nobody plans these things. I think this group of posters is a
            transitory one by nature - if one clicks on messages twelve months
            later one finds completely different faces posting than those posting
            now. Maybe that's as it should be, that this group is a forum for
            people to find their wings of expression before moving on to greener
            pastures, or even to get out a few things they really badly needed to
            say before diving deep within again. (Sumangali, I do hope those
            greener pastures will include a wider audience for your work and way
            of expressing things.)

            The temptation is to imagine that with the loss of such an amazing
            moderator and one of our best posters, all is in danger of going
            pear-shaped...I have reason to think otherwise. Let me try to explain
            why.

            First of all, some might take the fact that there's only a dozen or so
            regular contributors as a sign of a group's fragility; I wouldn't. I
            had occasion to talk to another frequent poster to this group a few
            months ago, and she reckoned everyone in the group had their own
            niches that they occupied. Hence my interpretation would be that if a
            newcomer to the group had a very similar style to a long-time poster,
            he/she might say "Oh, he/she's doing that kind to thing already, and
            doing it much better." I wouldn't even try to put names on these
            niches, I only have a kind of subtle feeling about them, but I do know
            the room begins to get crowded after a dozen or so, and it becomes
            hard to find a new niche from which to express yourself comfortably.
            Of course, a group like this should aspire to facilitate different
            people writing from the same niche in a spirit of non-competitiveness,
            but our imperfect human nature being what it is... I can definitely
            think of a few people who have struggled to find their voice here
            despite their best of intentions.

            I'm not saying that now Sumangali's wandered off for a little bit
            there's going to be a horde of previously repressed would-be
            Sumangalis scrapping it out for the title of 'Handmaiden to Nature's
            Beauty'...I think I'm saying rather that with a change of AM, these
            niches might get juggled around a bit, and new people might find a
            comfortable arena in which to express themselves (conversely, some old
            timers might find it tough going... :) ).

            Anyway this niche thing is only a metaphor, but it encourages me to
            look at the changes here with optimism, whilst still appreciating the
            magnitude of the AM and Sumangali's contribution to the group over the
            past year. I'm looking forward to seeing the AM as an occasional
            poster - understandably, his writing talents were somewhat constrained
            to trying give direction to this group during his tenure as moderator,
            so it will be a wonderful thing if he can 'let rip', as they say.

            I think also it's worthwhile reminding people that this group has an
            audience considerably bigger than what most of us imagine it has, and
            that the group makes a daily difference to hundreds of people we will
            never even meet.

            Shane

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2005
              Change is the only constant - a timeless truth of course, but one that
              nonetheless catches me by surprise every time. I fancy myself the
              flexible sort, with so many years of meditation under my belt, but
              life's transitoriness gets me every time. For instance, with a new
              boss at the helm, my job of umpteen years changed from top to bottom.
              Rather than being flexible, the reality was that the changes in my job
              didn't feel easy at all. Of course, now I'm settled into the different
              flow.

              Viewing change with optimism - Shane, I like this perspective in your
              message as a way to not feel like we're already picking the pear off
              the tree as changes happen here in the group :-). As a regular reader
              and contributor, I offer appreciation to the new moderators taking up
              the helm! And it goes without saying that as Shane put it, "no
              suitable expression of thanks" or well-deserved golden parachute can
              be found for the former AM's obvious hard work during his tenure.

              Gratefully,
              Sharani

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shane_dublincentre
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > "Do you want to see the Golden Shores of
              > > the Beyond?
              > > The city has played its role;
              > > There is nothing left for you there.
              > > Become a seafaring man!
              > > Sail with us from shore to shore
              > > Gathering the weary souls who have seen
              > > everything but Truth.
              > > Leave behind your father's skeleton
              > > And the girl with the long black hair
              > > Who sang a cherry tree carol
              > > But would never pray,
              > > Not even by accident."
              > >
              > > Now singing "Kanu, Kanu,"
              > > A song of the child Krishna,
              > > They enchant everyone with innocent fun.
              > > The once-distant strains
              > > Now sound within my very heart,
              > > And my soul is traveling
              > > Far, far down the water
              > > Where all boats and all travelers meet
              > > In Immortality's effulgence-sun.
              > >

              > > *Sri Ramakrishna, the Thakur of Dakineshwar
            • priyadarshan44
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2005
                I do not think I will ever be able to find words to express
                the feeling of awe and gratitude inspired by the AM's
                unreserved service to all of us. I know, though, that thanks
                to him I came to know so much more about gratitude per se.

                I am also very grateful to the new moderators. I do not envy
                our brothers and sisters that will have to walk in the
                luminous example of our beloved AM.

                Thank you, dearest AM!

                Priyadarshan

                <no_reply@y...>
                wrote:

> [...]

                > > > "Do you want to see the Golden Shores of
                > > > the Beyond?
                > > > The city has played its role;
                > > > There is nothing left for you there.
                > > > Become a seafaring man!
                > > > Sail with us from shore to shore
                > > > Gathering the weary souls who have seen
                > > > everything but Truth.
                > > > Leave behind your father's skeleton
                > > > And the girl with the long black hair
                > > > Who sang a cherry tree carol
                > > > But would never pray,
                > > > Not even by accident."
                > > >
                > > > Now singing "Kanu, Kanu,"
                > > > A song of the child Krishna,
                > > > They enchant everyone with innocent fun.
                > > > The once-distant strains
                > > > Now sound within my very heart,
                > > > And my soul is traveling
                > > > Far, far down the water
                > > > Where all boats and all travelers meet
                > > > In Immortality's effulgence-sun.
                > > >

                > > > *Sri Ramakrishna, the Thakur of Dakineshwar
              • doriscott20002000
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005
                  Dear Priyadarshan,

                  Allow me to claim your words as my own. I didn't have the time to
                  really reply to the P.M.'s (:-) parting words, because I can use the
                  internet only at noon for a couple of minutes. There are always
                  people standing behind me who have to use it for business purposes.

                  Spontaniously I said a few words but they were not published.

                  Doris

                  --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, priyadarshan44
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > magnitude of the AM and Sumangali's contribution to the group
                  over
                  > > the
                  > > > past year. I'm looking forward to seeing the AM as an
                  occasional
                  > > > poster - understandably, his writing talents were somewhat
                  > > constrained
                  > > > to trying give direction to this group during his tenure as
                  > > moderator,
                  > > > so it will be a wonderful thing if he can 'let rip', as they
                  say.

                  > > > I think also it's worthwhile reminding people that this group
                  has
                  > an
                  > > > audience considerably bigger than what most of us imagine it
                  has,
                  > > and
                  > > > that the group makes a daily difference to hundreds of people

                • suchana27
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 4, 2005
                    Dear AM,

                    This time I am inspired to say that: