Re: Sign Up for the Marathon!

  • shashanka_ch
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
      Thank you Bhuvah for the reminder of this message. I got a lot of
      inspiration from it.

      I can add a few more poems by Sri Chinmoy related to running and
      physical fitness:

      The soul's will-power
      Can easily change
      The body's destiny.

      Outer endurance
      Helps him meditate longer.
      Inner Peace of mind
      Helps him run farther.

      When the race is over
      We realise that
      We received the utmost joy
      And achieved the greatest progress
      Because of our practise and dedication

      Only after you have run
      a hard race
      Is God going to shower
      His Satisfaction-Joy on you.

      Daily exercise
      Your inner, soulful love-life
      To become
      God's champion-instrument.

      Shashanka

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bhuvah_nz
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Last night in a meditation class, Luke (whose training for the this
      > August's marathon is currently at 220km per week - somewhat in a
      > different category to my own!) gave a talk on self-transcendence. At
      > the end he read out excerpts from a very inspiring essay Sujantra
      > wrote about a talk Sri Chinmoy once gave regarding the sub-2 hour
      > marathon and the four achievements necessary to create the state of
      > consciousness to run such a race. The ideas he offered can be
      applied
      > to any activity in which one wishes to excel. I will recap these
      > points here:
      >
      > The first is to offer gratitude to Mother Earth. Over the years Sri
      > Chinmoy has consistently pointed toward gratitude as an emotion by
      > which individuals can reach their highest potential. "Gratitude", he
      > writes, "is a miracle action in us. This miracle-action strengthens
      > our physical body, purifies our vital energy, widens our mental
      vision
      > and intensifies our psychic delight.
      >
      > The second idea is to attain and sustain peace of mind. We must
      learn
      > to tap into this quality if we wish to transcend past performances.
      It
> [...]
      > So they embraced me most avidly
      > And most powerfully.
      > Alas, alas!
      > From fifteen miles on,
      > I dragged my ill-fated body,
      > At times with my compassion-smiles,
      > At times with my frustration-cries.
      > To my great joy and sublime relief,
      > The worst possible nightmare
      > Finally ended
      > At the end of twenty-six miles.
      > One marathon-world
      > Leads me into another marathon-world.
      > To satisfy this new marathon-world,
      > will be
      > Infinitely-I really mean it-
      > More difficult.
      > For here it is not just twenty-six miles
      > and 385 yards to run,
      > But to sow the seeds
      > Of ten thousand flaming flower-poems
      > Which at long last I shall place
      > Devotedly, unreservedly and unconditionally
      > At the Compassion-Feet
      > Of my Beloved Supreme.
      > ~Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 1 by Sri Chinmoy
      >
      > To read more about Sri Chinmoy kindly visit
      > http://www.srichinmoy.org
      >
      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, lee_berube
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > Way to go Sanjay. I wasn't trained last year, but I managed to
      finish
      > > in a blistering 5:27. But I was still inspired that I didn't give
      up
      > > and I crossed the line. I'm hoping for much better this year, but
      the
      > > training alone has been inspiring and uplifting enough. Being in
      shape
      > > sure makes a difference in everything.
      > >

      > > I hope to see a bunch of familiar faces this year.
      > >
      > > Lee
      > >

      > > There is only one way
      > > To arrive at the destination:
      > > Begin.
      > > - Sri Chinmoy
      > >
      > > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com
      > >
      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sssssanjay
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > > I am one of many who is nursing some so-called injury which
      prevents
      > > me from
      > > > training hard.
      > > >
      > > > Realistically, however, it is more of a mental handicap. The
      injury
      > > is not preventing
      > > > me from training, just from training at a high intensity. So, I
      > > won't be able to run a
      > > > fast marathon, but, rather, an embarrassingly slow one instead.
      > > >
      > > > But look at our good friend Matt, who is out there running the
      3100.
      > > He is not
      > > > winning; he is not running the highest mileage each day, but he
      is
      > > out there, and that
      > > > seems to be the most important thing.
      > > >
      > > > So, I started my marathon training today, no longer discouraged.
      > > don't care if I even
      > > > finish, but I am going to start it. So I am finally signing up

    • asthaloy
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
        Hi all.

        Lee, may you ever transcend in the marathon world!
        Sanjay, you are showing us the heart of a champion.
        Jadranka, don't give up. I myself am in this boat, as I cannot train
        at all right now. But even so, inspired by all your messages, I am
        also going to try to self-transcend - inwardly, if not outwardly. Can
        we not transcend in the field of detachment and surrender, even if our
        body is in deplorable shape?

        Well, good luck to all of us,
        Asthaloy Nyman

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shashanka_ch

      • goldenboat27
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2003
          Several years ago, a few boys from the Sri Chinmoy Centre in
          Canberra drove up north to do the Gold Coast Marathon. One of
          our good friends -- a great runner who ran marathons
          competitively around the world -- was also there. (His time was
          2:20 or something equally impressive.)

          After we'd all finished, we rested for a while, then gave our friend
          a lift somewhere. As we drove out, we could see some people
          still coming through to the finish line, still jogging, most of them
          with expressions of pain on their faces. They'd been running for
          about 6 hours.

          We made "amusing" comments about how these slowpokes
          made us feel like great athletes, but our friend had a different
          reaction. He was simply in awe of these people. Why? Because
          they had been running for so long, not giving up. Even this elite
          marathon runner was astonished by their strength and their will
          power. That is the mark of a _true_ marathon runner.

          Of course, the 3100-mile race has redefined the words
          "strength" and "will power". I remember when Matt found that he
          had been accepted into the race, he seemed to be in a dazed
          state for a few days. Who could blame him? It all seemed so
          surreal to me, so imagine how it felt for HIM!

          It's official: the impossible has become inevitable!

          Mark