Re: Sign Up for the Marathon!

  • bhuvah_nz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31 11:02 PM
      Last night in a meditation class, Luke (whose training for the this
      August's marathon is currently at 220km per week - somewhat in a
      different category to my own!) gave a talk on self-transcendence. At
      the end he read out excerpts from a very inspiring essay Sujantra
      wrote about a talk Sri Chinmoy once gave regarding the sub-2 hour
      marathon and the four achievements necessary to create the state of
      consciousness to run such a race. The ideas he offered can be applied
      to any activity in which one wishes to excel. I will recap these
      points here:

      The first is to offer gratitude to Mother Earth. Over the years Sri
      Chinmoy has consistently pointed toward gratitude as an emotion by
      which individuals can reach their highest potential. "Gratitude", he
      writes, "is a miracle action in us. This miracle-action strengthens
      our physical body, purifies our vital energy, widens our mental vision
      and intensifies our psychic delight.

      The second idea is to attain and sustain peace of mind. We must learn
      to tap into this quality if we wish to transcend past performances. It
      is only through a calm and serene mind that this energy can be found
      and then utilised. Sri Chinmoy says that lasting satisfaction and
      calmness stem from true detachment. This detachment is not from daily
      responsibilities, for these we must embrace to be good and true
      citizens of the world. The detachment he speaks of is from the
      thoughts which steal away our inner peace.

      The third idea is the necessity for purity in the vital. Purity is
      clarity, calmness and a focused intensity toward one's goals. By
      bringing purity into our vital energy, we can realise and utilise the
      unlimited source of energy from which we are created and to which we
      are connected. Sri Chinmoy describes this purity as "...the feeling of
      a living shrine deep in the inmost recesses of your heart." Purified
      vital energy becomes manifest as enthusiasm and eagerness; two
      qualities essential for success in any noble endeavour.

      The fourth piece of advice was the necessity of bringing discipline
      into the physical body. Without discipline, one merely rides the
      pendulum between pleasure and pain. In order to bring forward our
      highest potential, we must transcend and transform the body's desires
      so that our spirit can utilise the body to manifest our unimagined
      capacities. This is best summed up in a poem by Sri Chinmoy:

      "You can enjoy a limitless life of glory
      If you do not allow your life to be bound
      By your body's rules and regulations."

      At the end one of the seekers said "it's not really about the sub-2
      hour marathon is it. It's about those four points."

      To summarise, the four points are: gratitude, peace, purity and
      discipline.

      Sri Chinmoy's poetically describes two of his own, challenging and
      self-transcending, marathon experiences:

      WHO AM I?
      A completely long lost tornado-speed.
      Yesterday my supremely uncooperative body
      Ran the New York Marathon.
      The lightning-arrows of anxieties
      And worries did not attack me.
      I must say, they have
      Always
      Been very kind to me.
      No, not even by mistake!
      But cramps,
      My unfailing friends, came and
      Shook hands with me gently
      Even before I had covered eleven miles.
      Usually they come to befriend me
      At the eighteenth mile.
      But this time, after fifteen miles,
      They desired to lavish
      Infinitely more affection on me.
      So they embraced me most avidly
      And most powerfully.
      Alas, alas!
      From fifteen miles on,
      I dragged my ill-fated body,
      At times with my compassion-smiles,
      At times with my frustration-cries.
      To my great joy and sublime relief,
      The worst possible nightmare
      Finally ended
      At the end of twenty-six miles.
      One marathon-world
      Leads me into another marathon-world.
      To satisfy this new marathon-world,
      will be
      Infinitely-I really mean it-
      More difficult.
      For here it is not just twenty-six miles
      and 385 yards to run,
      But to sow the seeds
      Of ten thousand flaming flower-poems
      Which at long last I shall place
      Devotedly, unreservedly and unconditionally
      At the Compassion-Feet
      Of my Beloved Supreme.
      ~Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 1 by Sri Chinmoy

      To read more about Sri Chinmoy kindly visit
      http://www.srichinmoy.org

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, lee_berube
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Way to go Sanjay. I wasn't trained last year, but I managed to finish
      > in a blistering 5:27. But I was still inspired that I didn't give up
      > and I crossed the line. I'm hoping for much better this year, but the
      > training alone has been inspiring and uplifting enough. Being in shape
      > sure makes a difference in everything.
      >

      > I hope to see a bunch of familiar faces this year.
      >
      > Lee
      >

      > There is only one way
      > To arrive at the destination:
      > Begin.
      > - Sri Chinmoy
      >
      > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com
      >
      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sssssanjay
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > I am one of many who is nursing some so-called injury which prevents
      > me from
      > > training hard.
      > >
      > > Realistically, however, it is more of a mental handicap. The injury
      > is not preventing
      > > me from training, just from training at a high intensity. So, I
      > won't be able to run a
      > > fast marathon, but, rather, an embarrassingly slow one instead.
      > >
      > > But look at our good friend Matt, who is out there running the 3100.
      > He is not
      > > winning; he is not running the highest mileage each day, but he is
      > out there, and that
      > > seems to be the most important thing.
      > >
      > > So, I started my marathon training today, no longer discouraged. I
      > don't care if I even
      > > finish, but I am going to start it. So I am finally signing up for
      > the August 29th race.
      > >
      > > Thanks Matty!
      > >
      > > Sanjay Rawal
      > >

      > > Enthusiasm
      > > Is an unparalleled virtue
      > > In our inner life of aspiration
      > > And in our outer life of dedication.
      > > - Sri Chinmoy
      > >
      > > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com
    • shashanka_ch
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
        Thank you Bhuvah for the reminder of this message. I got a lot of
        inspiration from it.

        I can add a few more poems by Sri Chinmoy related to running and
        physical fitness:

        The soul's will-power
        Can easily change
        The body's destiny.

        Outer endurance
        Helps him meditate longer.
        Inner Peace of mind
        Helps him run farther.

        When the race is over
        We realise that
        We received the utmost joy
        And achieved the greatest progress
        Because of our practise and dedication

        Only after you have run
        a hard race
        Is God going to shower
        His Satisfaction-Joy on you.

        Daily exercise
        Your inner, soulful love-life
        To become
        God's champion-instrument.

        Shashanka

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bhuvah_nz
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        > > me from
        > > > training hard.
        > > >
        > > > Realistically, however, it is more of a mental handicap. The
        injury
        > > is not preventing
        > > > me from training, just from training at a high intensity. So, I
        > > won't be able to run a
        > > > fast marathon, but, rather, an embarrassingly slow one instead.
        > > >
        > > > But look at our good friend Matt, who is out there running the
        3100.
        > > He is not
        > > > winning; he is not running the highest mileage each day, but he
        is
        > > out there, and that
        > > > seems to be the most important thing.
        > > >
        > > > So, I started my marathon training today, no longer discouraged.
        > > don't care if I even
        > > > finish, but I am going to start it. So I am finally signing up

      • asthaloy
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
          Hi all.

          Lee, may you ever transcend in the marathon world!
          Sanjay, you are showing us the heart of a champion.
          Jadranka, don't give up. I myself am in this boat, as I cannot train
          at all right now. But even so, inspired by all your messages, I am
          also going to try to self-transcend - inwardly, if not outwardly. Can
          we not transcend in the field of detachment and surrender, even if our
          body is in deplorable shape?

          Well, good luck to all of us,
          Asthaloy Nyman

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shashanka_ch

        • goldenboat27
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2003
            Several years ago, a few boys from the Sri Chinmoy Centre in
            Canberra drove up north to do the Gold Coast Marathon. One of
            our good friends -- a great runner who ran marathons
            competitively around the world -- was also there. (His time was
            2:20 or something equally impressive.)

            After we'd all finished, we rested for a while, then gave our friend
            a lift somewhere. As we drove out, we could see some people
            still coming through to the finish line, still jogging, most of them
            with expressions of pain on their faces. They'd been running for
            about 6 hours.

            We made "amusing" comments about how these slowpokes
            made us feel like great athletes, but our friend had a different
            reaction. He was simply in awe of these people. Why? Because
            they had been running for so long, not giving up. Even this elite
            marathon runner was astonished by their strength and their will
            power. That is the mark of a _true_ marathon runner.

            Of course, the 3100-mile race has redefined the words
            "strength" and "will power". I remember when Matt found that he
            had been accepted into the race, he seemed to be in a dazed
            state for a few days. Who could blame him? It all seemed so
            surreal to me, so imagine how it felt for HIM!

            It's official: the impossible has become inevitable!

            Mark