Sign Up for the Marathon!

  • sssssanjay
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
      I am one of many who is nursing some so-called injury which prevents me from
      training hard.

      Realistically, however, it is more of a mental handicap. The injury is not preventing
      me from training, just from training at a high intensity. So, I won't be able to run a
      fast marathon, but, rather, an embarrassingly slow one instead.

      But look at our good friend Matt, who is out there running the 3100. He is not
      winning; he is not running the highest mileage each day, but he is out there, and that
      seems to be the most important thing.

      So, I started my marathon training today, no longer discouraged. I don't care if I even
      finish, but I am going to start it. So I am finally signing up for the August 29th race.

      Thanks Matty!

      Sanjay Rawal

      Enthusiasm
      Is an unparalleled virtue
      In our inner life of aspiration
      And in our outer life of dedication.
      - Sri Chinmoy

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com
    • lee_berube
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
        Way to go Sanjay. I wasn't trained last year, but I managed to finish
        in a blistering 5:27. But I was still inspired that I didn't give up
        and I crossed the line. I'm hoping for much better this year, but the
        training alone has been inspiring and uplifting enough. Being in shape
        sure makes a difference in everything.

        I hope to see a bunch of familiar faces this year.

        Lee

        There is only one way
        To arrive at the destination:
        Begin.

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sssssanjay
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I am one of many who is nursing some so-called injury which prevents
        me from
        > training hard.
        >
        > Realistically, however, it is more of a mental handicap. The injury
        is not preventing
        > me from training, just from training at a high intensity. So, I
        won't be able to run a
        > fast marathon, but, rather, an embarrassingly slow one instead.
        >
        > But look at our good friend Matt, who is out there running the 3100.
        He is not
        > winning; he is not running the highest mileage each day, but he is
        out there, and that
        > seems to be the most important thing.
        >
        > So, I started my marathon training today, no longer discouraged. I
        don't care if I even
        > finish, but I am going to start it. So I am finally signing up for
        the August 29th race.

        > Thanks Matty!
        >
        > Sanjay Rawal
        >

        > Enthusiasm
        > Is an unparalleled virtue
        > In our inner life of aspiration
        > And in our outer life of dedication.
        > - Sri Chinmoy
        >
        > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com
      • bhuvah_nz
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
          Last night in a meditation class, Luke (whose training for the this
          August's marathon is currently at 220km per week - somewhat in a
          different category to my own!) gave a talk on self-transcendence. At
          the end he read out excerpts from a very inspiring essay Sujantra
          wrote about a talk Sri Chinmoy once gave regarding the sub-2 hour
          marathon and the four achievements necessary to create the state of
          consciousness to run such a race. The ideas he offered can be applied
          to any activity in which one wishes to excel. I will recap these
          points here:

          The first is to offer gratitude to Mother Earth. Over the years Sri
          Chinmoy has consistently pointed toward gratitude as an emotion by
          which individuals can reach their highest potential. "Gratitude", he
          writes, "is a miracle action in us. This miracle-action strengthens
          our physical body, purifies our vital energy, widens our mental vision
          and intensifies our psychic delight.

          The second idea is to attain and sustain peace of mind. We must learn
          to tap into this quality if we wish to transcend past performances. It
          is only through a calm and serene mind that this energy can be found
          and then utilised. Sri Chinmoy says that lasting satisfaction and
          calmness stem from true detachment. This detachment is not from daily
          responsibilities, for these we must embrace to be good and true
          citizens of the world. The detachment he speaks of is from the
          thoughts which steal away our inner peace.

          The third idea is the necessity for purity in the vital. Purity is
          clarity, calmness and a focused intensity toward one's goals. By
          bringing purity into our vital energy, we can realise and utilise the
          unlimited source of energy from which we are created and to which we
          are connected. Sri Chinmoy describes this purity as "...the feeling of
          a living shrine deep in the inmost recesses of your heart." Purified
          vital energy becomes manifest as enthusiasm and eagerness; two
          qualities essential for success in any noble endeavour.

          The fourth piece of advice was the necessity of bringing discipline
          into the physical body. Without discipline, one merely rides the
          pendulum between pleasure and pain. In order to bring forward our
          highest potential, we must transcend and transform the body's desires
          so that our spirit can utilise the body to manifest our unimagined
          capacities. This is best summed up in a poem by Sri Chinmoy:

          "You can enjoy a limitless life of glory
          If you do not allow your life to be bound
          By your body's rules and regulations."

          At the end one of the seekers said "it's not really about the sub-2
          hour marathon is it. It's about those four points."

          To summarise, the four points are: gratitude, peace, purity and
          discipline.

          Sri Chinmoy's poetically describes two of his own, challenging and
          self-transcending, marathon experiences:

          WHO AM I?
          A completely long lost tornado-speed.
          Yesterday my supremely uncooperative body
          Ran the New York Marathon.
          The lightning-arrows of anxieties
          And worries did not attack me.
          I must say, they have
          Always
          Been very kind to me.
          No, not even by mistake!
          But cramps,
          My unfailing friends, came and
          Shook hands with me gently
          Even before I had covered eleven miles.
          Usually they come to befriend me
          At the eighteenth mile.
          But this time, after fifteen miles,
          They desired to lavish
          Infinitely more affection on me.
          So they embraced me most avidly
          And most powerfully.
          Alas, alas!
          From fifteen miles on,
          I dragged my ill-fated body,
          At times with my compassion-smiles,
          At times with my frustration-cries.
          To my great joy and sublime relief,
          The worst possible nightmare
          Finally ended
          At the end of twenty-six miles.
          One marathon-world
          Leads me into another marathon-world.
          To satisfy this new marathon-world,
          will be
          Infinitely-I really mean it-
          More difficult.
          For here it is not just twenty-six miles
          and 385 yards to run,
          But to sow the seeds
          Of ten thousand flaming flower-poems
          Which at long last I shall place
          Devotedly, unreservedly and unconditionally
          At the Compassion-Feet
          Of my Beloved Supreme.
          ~Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 1 by Sri Chinmoy

          To read more about Sri Chinmoy kindly visit
          http://www.srichinmoy.org

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, lee_berube
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Way to go Sanjay. I wasn't trained last year, but I managed to finish
          > in a blistering 5:27. But I was still inspired that I didn't give up
          > and I crossed the line. I'm hoping for much better this year, but the
          > training alone has been inspiring and uplifting enough. Being in shape
          > sure makes a difference in everything.
          >

          > I hope to see a bunch of familiar faces this year.
          >
          > Lee
          >

          > There is only one way
          > To arrive at the destination:
          > Begin.
          > - Sri Chinmoy
          >
          > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com
          >
          > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sssssanjay
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > I am one of many who is nursing some so-called injury which prevents
          > me from
          > > training hard.
          > >
          > > Realistically, however, it is more of a mental handicap. The injury
          > is not preventing
          > > me from training, just from training at a high intensity. So, I
          > won't be able to run a
          > > fast marathon, but, rather, an embarrassingly slow one instead.
          > >
          > > But look at our good friend Matt, who is out there running the 3100.
          > He is not
          > > winning; he is not running the highest mileage each day, but he is
          > out there, and that
          > > seems to be the most important thing.
          > >
          > > So, I started my marathon training today, no longer discouraged. I
          > don't care if I even
          > > finish, but I am going to start it. So I am finally signing up for
          > the August 29th race.
          > >
          > > Thanks Matty!
          > >
          > > Sanjay Rawal
          > >

          > > Enthusiasm
          > > Is an unparalleled virtue
          > > In our inner life of aspiration
          > > And in our outer life of dedication.
          > > - Sri Chinmoy
          > >
          > > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com
        • shashanka_ch
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
            Thank you Bhuvah for the reminder of this message. I got a lot of
            inspiration from it.

            I can add a few more poems by Sri Chinmoy related to running and
            physical fitness:

            The soul's will-power
            Can easily change
            The body's destiny.

            Outer endurance
            Helps him meditate longer.
            Inner Peace of mind
            Helps him run farther.

            When the race is over
            We realise that
            We received the utmost joy
            And achieved the greatest progress
            Because of our practise and dedication

            Only after you have run
            a hard race
            Is God going to shower
            His Satisfaction-Joy on you.

            Daily exercise
            Your inner, soulful love-life
            To become
            God's champion-instrument.

            Shashanka

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bhuvah_nz
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
            > > me from
            > > > training hard.
            > > >
            > > > Realistically, however, it is more of a mental handicap. The
            injury
            > > is not preventing
            > > > me from training, just from training at a high intensity. So, I
            > > won't be able to run a
            > > > fast marathon, but, rather, an embarrassingly slow one instead.
            > > >
            > > > But look at our good friend Matt, who is out there running the
            3100.
            > > He is not
            > > > winning; he is not running the highest mileage each day, but he
            is
            > > out there, and that
            > > > seems to be the most important thing.
            > > >
            > > > So, I started my marathon training today, no longer discouraged.
            > > don't care if I even
            > > > finish, but I am going to start it. So I am finally signing up

          • asthaloy
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
              Hi all.

              Lee, may you ever transcend in the marathon world!
              Sanjay, you are showing us the heart of a champion.
              Jadranka, don't give up. I myself am in this boat, as I cannot train
              at all right now. But even so, inspired by all your messages, I am
              also going to try to self-transcend - inwardly, if not outwardly. Can
              we not transcend in the field of detachment and surrender, even if our
              body is in deplorable shape?

              Well, good luck to all of us,
              Asthaloy Nyman

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shashanka_ch

            • goldenboat27
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2003
                Several years ago, a few boys from the Sri Chinmoy Centre in
                Canberra drove up north to do the Gold Coast Marathon. One of
                our good friends -- a great runner who ran marathons
                competitively around the world -- was also there. (His time was
                2:20 or something equally impressive.)

                After we'd all finished, we rested for a while, then gave our friend
                a lift somewhere. As we drove out, we could see some people
                still coming through to the finish line, still jogging, most of them
                with expressions of pain on their faces. They'd been running for
                about 6 hours.

                We made "amusing" comments about how these slowpokes
                made us feel like great athletes, but our friend had a different
                reaction. He was simply in awe of these people. Why? Because
                they had been running for so long, not giving up. Even this elite
                marathon runner was astonished by their strength and their will
                power. That is the mark of a _true_ marathon runner.

                Of course, the 3100-mile race has redefined the words
                "strength" and "will power". I remember when Matt found that he
                had been accepted into the race, he seemed to be in a dazed
                state for a few days. Who could blame him? It all seemed so
                surreal to me, so imagine how it felt for HIM!

                It's official: the impossible has become inevitable!

                Mark