Wanted: Advice about training for Ironman triathlon

  • dny_rubin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2005
      This message is for anybody who knows how to train for the Ironman
      distance (triathlon). I need a schedule for training - also: I am
      reasonably fit.

      Thanks -

      Daniel
    • olaf_hamburg7
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2005
        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, dny_rubin
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > This message is for anybody who knows how to train for the Ironman
        > distance (triathlon). I need a schedule for training - also: I am
        > reasonably fit.
        >
        > Thanks -
        >
        > Daniel

        Hi Daniel,

        I finished already two Ironman Races not in the fastest time (12:50h)
        but anyway it was always a dream to do it and the experience was
        worth training.
        It took me some years of swim training in a swim club whitch really
        gave me a boost in my swimming perfomance, until I dared to swim such
        a long distance. The swimming frightended me the most in the
        beginning but now I have to say that you can somehow "survive" the
        3,8 km even by swimming breaststroke.
        In my opinion being fit in running and concentrate on running in
        winter or spring is the basic. Once the weather gets warmer go on
        your race bike and collect kilometres. The cycling takes a lot of
        time but it is important to cycle several times 100 to 150 km,
        perhaps even in groups.
        It is very important to train the change between the disciplines
        because the body has to get used to it, so after a bike session just
        go out for some km running you will see how strange it feels.
        Make sure to eat enough on the bike otherwise you may hit the wall.
        Swimming two times a week should be enough, swimming intense
        intervals helped me a lot to get the strength for long distances,
        although you have to swim for one hour or longer in trainig as well.

        I always like to include shorter triathlons (olympic distance) in the
        training to get used to it. The first year I always concentrated for
        3 weeks on one discipline and cut the other two back for that time.
        Like in marathon training the weekly mileage is also important. I
        trained up to 15 hours a week also including long bike rides (4-5
        hours) followed by an easy training marathon the other day this
        helped me a lot to get the endurance.

        So you see it is a vast field. But if you are fit in running and have
        done some long swims a bike rides you should be able to finish with a
        minimum training effort.

        Much joy in training

        Olaf