Re: Ashutosh = easily pleased

  • asthaloy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2003
      Hi Natabara,
      Thanks for clearing that up. Living as I do in Seattle I can
      appreciate the outer beauty and grandeour of Mt. Rainier on a daily
      basis, and I am very happy to know more about this inner aspect as well.

      Here is something that Sri Chinmoy wrote about the Ashutosh quality of
      Lord Shiva:

      On the one hand, Lord Shiva is full of Compassion. If you give him
      only one leaf, that one leaf is enough to please him. To other cosmic
      gods you have to bring lots of beautiful and fragrant flowers. Lord
      Shiva's name is Ashutosh. 'Ashu' means 'speed'. So Ashutosh is one who
      is quickly satisfied. Other gods can take twenty years to be pleased.
      But in twenty seconds you can please Lord Shiva. Again, when he is
      angry, when he starts his thunder, which is his destruction-dance, he
      destroys everything. It may take only ten seconds to please Lord
      Shiva, but if the same Lord Shiva is displeased for one second, he can
      destroy us. Then to rebuild our spiritual life-energy may take twenty
      years.

      This is Lord Shiva. On the one hand, he is kinder than the kindest. No
      cosmic god can come near him in terms of compassion and gifts. He can
      tolerate us indefinitely. If he is pleased with us, in the twinkling
      of an eye he can give us the vast ocean. But if he is annoyed, then
      there is no mercy.

      For a story about Lord Shiva and the cosmic gods visit:

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sage-bhrigu-cosmic-gods/9

      Asthaloy Nyman

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, natabara7
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > I finally found out the quality ascribed to Mt. Rainier.
      >
      > The Ashutosh quality of Shiva is "easily pleased". It refers to the
      "mood" or "state" that
      > Shiva can be found in when he is in a pleased state (and often
      grants boons easily).

      > No doubt we were blessed with fantastic weather for our climb. When
      we left camp
      > (10,000 ft) at midnight there was absolutely no wind and you could
      actually wear a t-
      > shirt!
      >
      > Anugata said one of the most interesting challenges is trying not to
      get too hot, if
      > you can believe it.
      >
      > Anyway, we had very kind weather conditions and when on the summit
      we could see
      > all of Seattle, the Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands to the
      west, and to the South
      > we could see right into the crater of Mt. St. Helens and as far as
      Mt. Jefferson in