Faith

  • polestar1931
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2005
      From Commentary on the Bhagavad-Gita, by Sri Chinmoy:

      Faith is not a mere emotional feeling to stick to one's belief. It
      is a living inner breath to discover, realise and live in the truth.
      Faith is the exercise taken by a seeker of his own will to force
      himself to stay in the all-seeing and all-fulfilling Will of God.
      The Yajur Veda tells us that consecration blossoms in self-
      dedication, grace blossoms in consecration, faith blossoms in grace,
      and truth blossoms in faith. What else is faith? To quote Charles
      Hanson Towne,

      I need not shout my faith. Thrice eloquent
      Are quiet trees and the green listening sod;
      Hushed are the stars, whose power is never spent;
      The hills are mute: yet how they speak of God!

      http://www.yogaofsrichinmoy.com/spiritual_qualities/faith/
    • adhiratha
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 13, 2005
        Thank you Polestar.

        How powerful and illumining are Sri Chinmoy's words: "...living
        breath to discover, realise and live in the truth."

        The passage is also a beautiful example of the depth of clarity and
        bridge-building that these early writings of Sri Chinmoy provided -
        especially for those struggling to make sense of a newly discovered
        (or rediscovered) spiritual approach to the world we found ourselves
        in.

        - Adhiratha

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, polestar1931

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 14, 2005
          Thank you both, Polestar and Adhiratha.

          God's Compassion had better be infinite, for the stream of my
          mistakes seems endless to me, although I know that one day the
          Supreme will fulfill His will in and through my life, as well as in
          and through every individual on earth.

          Today I was reading Sri Chinmoy's book, "The Inner Promise," and in
          it found instances of how beautifully Sri Chinmoy, with his inner
          illumination, sees the human experience.

          He was writing about imperfection, saying that it is not something
          discouraging, but something growing towards perfection, and a
          significant experience of the Supreme in and through the human life.

          It struck me deeply, the love with which God sees human beings...
          With the patience of a Mother, the Supreme waits for His children to
          achieve perfection.

          It is inevitable that our human nature will resist transformation on
          its way to the Goal. But the will of our soul is stronger than our
          human tendencies (thank God!). Therefore, the seeker has to examine
          thoroughly his own "feelings," for sometimes they may come from
          un-illumined parts of his being, which are not necessarily receptive
          to the spiritual light all the time.

          Faithfully,

          Kamalakanta

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, adhiratha
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > Thank you Polestar.
          >
          > How powerful and illumining are Sri Chinmoy's words: "...living
          > breath to discover, realise and live in the truth."
          >
          > The passage is also a beautiful example of the depth of clarity and
          > bridge-building that these early writings of Sri Chinmoy provided -
          > especially for those struggling to make sense of a newly discovered
          > (or rediscovered) spiritual approach to the world we found ourselves
          > in.
          >
          > - Adhiratha
          >
          > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, polestar1931
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > From Commentary on the Bhagavad-Gita, by Sri Chinmoy:
          > >
          > > Faith is not a mere emotional feeling to stick to one's belief. It
          > > is a living inner breath to discover, realise and live in the truth.
          > > Faith is the exercise taken by a seeker of his own will to force
          > > himself to stay in the all-seeing and all-fulfilling Will of God.
          > > The Yajur Veda tells us that consecration blossoms in self-
          > > dedication, grace blossoms in consecration, faith blossoms in grace,
          > > and truth blossoms in faith. What else is faith? To quote Charles
          > > Hanson Towne,
          > >
          > > I need not shout my faith. Thrice eloquent
          > > Are quiet trees and the green listening sod;
          > > Hushed are the stars, whose power is never spent;
          > > The hills are mute: yet how they speak of God!
          > >
          > > http://www.yogaofsrichinmoy.com/spiritual_qualities/faith/
        • melinda_geelong
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 5, 2005
            I believe that faith is the most powerful force in our lives. I have been reflecting a lot
            on this lately because sometimes (an increasing numbe of times!) I have to rely fully
            and only on faith.
            And guess what?
            It never lets me down.
            My first, most memorable experience of this was when I was thirteen years old. I was
            afflicted with an undiagnosable painful shoulder condition necessitating a stay in
            hospital. This experience was quite traumatic for me as a young adolescent and I
            remember that it was my first experience of the power of prayer.
            I remember being so desperate to escape from the hospital that I started praying
            furiously to be well enough to go home. I must have prayed many many times that
            day and most soulfully. I was certainly far from recovered but miraculously the next
            day was allowed to go home after satisfying the medical staff that I could raise my
            arm above my head which was the criterion for release.

            Then came the payback. I had promised God in my desperation that if I was allowed
            to go home then I would dutifully pray to Him every day for the rest of my life. Some
            undertaking! I didn't even know how to pray! Being a girl of integrity however I
            dutifully applied myself to the task and God alone knows what I found to pray for but
            I believe I actually accomplished my promise for over a year. Naturally without any
            spiritual teachings or further experiences of note, the practice waned and diminished
            over the years. The memory of the power of faith however will be everlasting

            Twenty five years later I came to Sri Chinmoy's path and have since felt that prayer is
            as natural to me as breathing and the lesson in faith has remained with me all that
            time. Today I live on Faith.
            It also seems that with the Supreme's Love and Compassion, he has not even been
            too annoyed with me for breaking my promise!

            In closing, this is what Sri Chinmoy says about Faith

            First of all, faith is not credulity or blind beleif. It does not meanthat you must
            constantly believe in the impossible. No, that is not faith. faith is a spontaneous
            feeling. It does not care for human justification. It is the eye that visions the future,
            and it is always in tune with a higher Truth. the door of faith is alwys open to the
            Truth beyond, and by virtue of faith, we transcend ourselves.

            The Wisdom Of Sri Chinmoy
            [unofficial text]

            With deepest Gratitude
          • sarah_inseattle
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 6, 2005
              Faith
              Secretly endures.
              Faith
              Openly cures.

              ---Sri Chinmoy, Service Tree #35,026

              Hi Melinda, thanks for that poignant post. The above aphorism found
              me just yesterday, and I copied it down. I think it's my new mantra.

              In oneness,
              Sarah
              Seattle

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, melinda_geelong

            • kwcanb
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                Faith is wisdom.
                Faith is power.
                Faith is heart-fragrance.
                Faith is the sun-child
                Of the Beyond.

                Sri Chinmoy

                (Unofficial)
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 16, 2009
                  Last week Satyajit was reciting a talk by Sri Chinmoy on faith, and in it, Sri Chinmoy stated that the basis of spiritual practice is faith. Indeed, faith is powerful! It can steer our life-boat through countless storms. It is the inner eye that sees the Truth.

                  In his writings, sri Chinmoy also has written about the importance of having faith in God and in oneself. Both are important.

                  The following poem by Sri Chinmoy talks about the fact that our faith in God means that, at some point in time, perfection will definitely be achieved:

                  "If we believe in God,

                  There is nothing in us

                  That can remain forever

                  Imperfect."
                  -Sri Chinmoy

                  Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 21 by Sri Chinmoy.
                  http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1376/2

                  May we all maintain our faith in God and in ourselves, and thus derive strength, to serve the Divine in mankind!

                  Joy to all!

                  Kamalakanta
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 18, 2009
                    Hi Kamalakanta,
                    Your mention of this recitation/musical performance a week ago during the evening function at Aspiration Ground is reminding me of how much being in the audience for it moved me deeply.

                    I had meant to ask here if perhaps the selection of quotes could be represented or excerpted - perhaps Arpan would be able to look into it for us?

                    I do recall that it inspired in me the feeling that faith is the fundamental bedrock of spiritual life. As my spirit resonated with this Truth with a capital "T", I felt waves of contentment and aspiration within that only increased in intensity as I contemplated the cultivation and fanning of flames of faith.