Sri Chinmoy's Lamb Lifting Inspiration

  • srichinmoyinspiration <srichinmoyinspira
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2002
      We are now in Taupo, New Zealand with over 200 students of Sri
      Chinmoy from all over the world. As his special offering to New
      Zealand, Sri Chinmoy completed lifting 1000 lambs yesterday. This
      article from New Zealand's The Daily Post appeared today on the front
      page:

      Uplifting performance

      By Laurilee McMichael
      in Taupo

      The seated man in the yellow jersey closes his eyes in concentration
      and places his gloved hands on the handles beside him.

      He is quiet, focussed. Above him, the lambs peer out of the crates
      uncertainly. The crowd breaks into song.

      "Lifting Up the World With a Oneness-Heart," they intone.

      Then the air goes quiet. Everyone seems to hold their breath.

      The man raises the lamb crates into the air, holds them there for a
      brief moment and then lowers it again. Four lambs down, 996 to go.

      After only a couple of minutes' recovery time while the next crate of
      lambs are hoisted up, he will repeat the action.

      Lifting 1000 lambs may seem an unusual approach to inspiring people
      but to 71-year-old Sri Chinmoy, it's part of his life's work of
      encouraging people to believe there are no limits to their potential.

      Born in what is now Bangladesh, the American spiritual guru travels
      the world performing unusual feats of strength. It seems there is
      nothing he hasn't lifted.

      Sheep, cows, horses, an elephant. Famous people. Cars, trucks,
      helicopters. People playing pianos. A Canadian Mountie, complete with
      horse.

      His sports team followers reel off a staggering list of everything
      from farm implements to human pyramids. All these at an age when many
      people would be enjoying a leisurely retirement.

      He's accompanied on this visit by around 150 members of the Sri
      Chinmoy Marathon Team which sees its aim as bringing people together
      through sports and cultural activities.

      On this visit, his fourth to New Zealand, he set himself the goal of
      lifting 1000 lambs overhead and yesterday completed the feat in a 1-
      hour session at the Kiwi Tahi Land Company Farm 18 km west of Taupo.

      He originally set himself three weeks to achieve the goal but has
      lifted 100 or 200 lambs per session so quickly that he has reached it
      after only eight days and lifted a total of 36,936 kg. Each lift
      constitutes roughly double his own bodyweight.

      But he's not stopping at lambs—he plans to move onto lifting 100 cows
      next during his Kiwi visit.

      As well as the feats of strength involving farm animals, Sri Chinmoy
      is also a writer, musician and composer and has given concerts in
      Auckland.

      "He really wants to inspire people to do their best and to do good
      things in life," explains Ashani Pluchinot, a member of his marathon
      team.

      Shardul Dillican, who organised the lamb lifting, said it had not
      been difficult to arrange because farmers had been ahppy to be
      involved.

      "I think essentially rural New Zealand has a big heart, so they
      reacted to this project in a nice way, because it is all about
      inspiring people. Sri Chinmoy really likes to inspire people to feel
      that within each of us there's tremendous capacity. If we can bring
      that forward we can increase the beauty of our own lives and also the
      world, and that's the main reason for his activities."

      Copyright The Daily Post, 2002.
    • agrahaj <agraha@bontempi.net>
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2002
        Thank you for starting this group and for the wonderful article!

        I was at 5 of the 6 lifting programmes and they were extremely,
        extremely inspiring! The lambs are incredibly sweet and mild. Sri
        Chinmoy offered a silent meditation for a long time before lifting
        each group of lambs. Sri Chinmoy's love and concern for the lambs,
        plus his gratitude to the lambs and for the positive qualities they
        offer to humanity, I could feel very, very strongly.

        It was a profoundly uplifting experience!

        Thank you again for this group of positive inspiration about Sri
        Chinmoy, his activities and the most significant uplifting vision
        for world-oneness which Sri Chinmoy is offering!

        Sincerely and gratefully yours,
        Agraha

        --- In
        Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, "srichinmoyinspiration

      • nayak_ltp
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 25, 2003
          The following is the historic first message posted from this group on
          December 7, 2002. It was posted by Laurilee McMichael from New
          Zealand. So many nice messages have been posted since then and so
          many people have benefited from this site. Gratitude to all of those
          who contribute and those who take the time to maintain the site.

          Nayak