5796Re: Inspiration for Projects

  • lunthita
    Aug 1, 2004
      Begabati,

      I was extremely grateful to read Sri Chinmoy's poem on projects. We
      have all experienced the hesitation, fear or less-than-eager
      approach we have sometimes when asked or placed in a position to
      serve on a project. The mind takes the lead and overshadows the rest
      of us. Eventually the mind surrenders and we are blessed with the
      joy, satisfaction and realization about the progress we made.

      Over the years I've said to several coworkers and family members,
      "Everyone needs a project." This usually came as a response to them
      feeling frustrated with an elderly family member who seemed to be
      creating more work/trouble when trying to accomplish something like
      pay bills.

      The last 10 years or so prior to my grandmother's passing, her
      health seriously deteriorated and she had difficulty walking. Barely
      speaking English, she insisted on travelling alone between the
      Caribbean (her birthplace), New York, Miami and Melbourne, Florida
      to visit her six children and to sometimes 'help' where she felt she
      was needed.

      Not only did all the travelling worry everyone (once on her way to
      New York she ended up in Guatemala!), it was looked upon as an
      inconvenience. She travelled with tons of luggage and boxes and
      would try to sell things and sometimes even sew clothing. She was
      also considered the 'Robin Hood' of the family--take from her
      children and grandchildren, then give away to helpers, street
      vendors and other 'adopted' ones.

      The question always came up, "Why doesn't she just stay put?" So one
      day I replied to my mother, "She's getting old and it's good for her
      to stay active. Everyone needs a project." My mother understood and
      agreed.

      Those words rung in my mind ever since I was first a member of the
      Sri Chinmoy Centre in Miami. The Centre leaders, Drishti and
      Durjaya, had a rabbit (as well as a parakeet). About once a week or
      so, Drishti would put something in his cage like the cardboard from
      a finished roll of paper towels. I never really questioned it and
      figured that he really liked chewing on cardboard. Once I laughed
      and Drishti said to me, "You know, everyone needs a project."

      -Lunthita

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, begabati
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > I'm working on a great project for August Celebrations -- you'll
      > see the results soon!
      >
      > In the meantime, here's a favorite poem:
      >
      > "Why does everyone need a project?
      > Everyone does not need a project,
      > But if anyone wants to make very fast progress in his spiritual
      > life,
      > Then he definitely needs a project.
      > When he has a project,
      > God cheerfully and powerfully gives him three injections:
      > Inspiration-injection,
      > Consecration-injection
      > And perfection-injection."
      >
      > --Sri Chinmoy
      >
      > (Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, 1915)
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic