4247Re: Gabor and the New record

  • gabor_sd
    Jun 7, 2004
      OK, let me start my message with a "nice" poem by Sri Chinmoy with
      the word "steep":

      Although the path
      Is stony and steep,
      At the end of the path
      Our Lord Beloved Supreme
      Is eagerly waiting for our arrival.

      I can fully understand your opinion about steep hills; I felt the
      same way a few years ago. I don't remember when and why I started
      enjoying running on (steep) hills, but somehow it happened.

      I think in my case the reason is not just "oh, it's a good training
      for my legs and lungs"; it has more to do with spending more time
      with nature, and enjoying it's beauty. And mountains are definitely
      a good place for this. I always try to spend at least a few tranquil
      minutes sitting on a comfortable rock and looking at a lovely
      landscape.

      Here are some examples why "steep" is at the same time "nice" for
      me...

      There is a steep mountain not far away, and many times I ran up to
      the top early in the morning just to enjoy the sunrise from there.
      True, it's not easy to run up there, but the scenery is rewarding.

      The steep mountain M.Latinova wrote about is one of my favourite
      places. Only up, up, up, not even 1 meter is flat! But it is so
      unique and beautiful...there are boulders everywhere on the way to
      the top, and when I have time, I can never resist climbing a couple
      of them. It gives me so much joy!

      I visited a particular national park a few times to climb boulders
      and just to catch flies. Once I was there I wanted to go to the top
      of a high mountain I read about. Well, the trail happened to be a
      steep one. I didn't have too much time, so what could I do? I had to
      run. But it's unimportant. The view on the top (and also on the way
      to the top) was just breath-taking. The vegetation completely
      changed on the way; sometimes there was also snow in the shady
      areas. It was definitely worth it to run; the amazing landscape gave
      me a lot of energy.

      I also ran two hilly trail races; one of them is a 50K (see Atulya's
      message #3366). There were some very steep hills, which were very
      trying but at the same time the view was beautiful. I liked these
      races and the "stony and steep" hills a lot.

      Anyway, as you see I associate steep hills with nice places and nice
      experiences. My vocabulary does not reach far enough to give a
      proper description, but I hope I've given an impression of what I
      mean.

      I am sure we have here others too with "nice and steep" hill running
      experiences.

      Gabor
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic