3872Re: My Dad and Mom

  • sushmitam_r
    Apr 30, 2004
      Dear Dharmaja,

      It is incredibly painful watching parents struggle with severe
      illness and approaching death. My father had a long illness and
      finally died about 2 years ago, so I can imagine the agony you are
      experiencing. My heart goes out to you.

      Here are my thoughts, which I hope may be useful. Firstly for your
      mum, what about music? Even if she has no history of loving music,
      this world might open up for her now that her vision has failed. Who
      knows what kind of music she might tap into. Of course, spiritual
      music would help her enormously - the simplicity of Sri Chinmoy's
      flute music, or the enjoyable harmonies of student arrangements of
      Guru's music. Or perhaps traditional Christian sacred music. Or even
      regular classical music.....If she is depressed, she would most
      likely need someone else's enthusiasm to assist her to get into the
      music world - someone who would love to share his/ her love of music
      ('listen to this bit!'). It is very hard to generate enthusiasm for
      anything from a state of depression, even things that might help to
      bring one out of such a state. Having said that, something like the
      flute music played softly as background music is great as a
      consciousness raiser and mood soother - my sister uses it often for
      her young children if they're upset.

      Next, talking books - there are a huge range of books now out on
      tape - designed for blind people, or those driving to a joy weekend
      a long way away! Detective stories, classics, comedies...she may at
      least get some distraction from some of these. There is also a
      thorough range of spiritually uplifting and personal development
      type 'books' out on tape. Then of course, there are Guru's talking
      book tapes - Angels, Friendship - you know those small books that
      all came out in tape format.

      Companionship definitely! I agree with Kamalakanta. It depends how
      depressed she is whether she'd be able to benefit from supporting
      others, but definitely some sort of companionship apart from your
      father would be helpful. In Australia we have some 'adopt a
      grandparent' services and other 'visiting older people' services run
      by local welfare agences or local city councils. It is very
      important for older people not to feel isolated from the community.
      Depression amongst the aged is apparently very common, and I'm sure
      is exacerbated for people without a spiritual outlook on life.

      A thought for your Dad - it may not be appropriate in your
      situation, but I read to my Dad the bit from the Bhagavad Gita about
      the soul (water cannot wet the soul, wind cannnot dry the soul etc).
      Like many men of his generation, he was not one to talk openly of
      things like death, but he really received great help from this
      passage. Maybe in your situation, you could actually talk to him
      about death? Do you know what his views on it are? Given your
      parents have met Guru, they will have in them the seeds of
      spirituality - I'm not sure from your description of them to what
      extent it has blossomed, though. To hear a little from you about
      Guru's descriptions of death as 'going to another room' etc. might
      help...Or hearing personal descriptions from people who have written
      about near death experiences.....

      Death and impending death is a time of profound aloneness - no one
      else can have the experience for us - but just feeling the support
      of loving family is enormously helpful. I am really grateful that I
      made extra time in my father's case last year to spend time with him
      and support him. I know it was really helpful for him, but also was
      very, very beneficial for me.
      I hope this is helpful.
      Your sister
      Sushmitam