3460Re: O My Lord of Beauty in 40 Languages -halfway briefing

  • abhijatri_robinson
    Apr 2, 2004
      Hi Kamalika

      Prabhati, from Cape Town South Africa, was inspired to translate the
      poem into Afrikaans – she asked me to post it as she does not have
      Internet access. She is a first language Afrikaans speaker and has
      done an excellent job. What a great project this is. Also, I was
      speaking to a student of Sri Chinmoy in New Zealand today who speaks
      and writes both Telugu and Tamil. He may be able to do those two
      languages.

      O MY HEER VAN SKOONHEID

      U is mooi, mooier, mooiste
      Skoonheid ongeëwenaar in die tuin van Eden
      Mag U Beeld dag en nag by my bly
      In die heel diepste van my hart
      Sonder U het my oë geen visie nie
      Alles is `n hersenskim, alles is bar
      Orals om my, binne en buite
      Hoor ek die melodie van donker steke
      O my Heer, o my skone Heer
      O my Heer van skoonheid, in hierdie leeftyd
      Selfs vir `n vlitende sekonde
      Mag k geseënd wees me onverdiende guns
      Om U Gesig te sien.

      Abhijatri.

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalika_gyorgyjakab
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Dear Ones,

      > I am very grateful to everyone for the translations already sent or
      > promised. As it looks today, we have so far 33 languages (well, I
      > don't have all the texts yet in my hands, but I hope to get them in
      > N.Y.). Here is the list so far, in no particular order:
      >
      > English, Bengali, Hindi
      > German, French, Italian
      > Spanish, Portuguese, Finnish,
      > Armenian, Hungarian, Romanian,
      > Estonian, Latvian, Turkish,
      > Swedish, Russian, Serbian,
      > Nepali, Punjabi, Azeri,
      > Icelandic, Luxemburgish, Dutch,
      > Danish, Croatian, Bosnian,
      > Macedonian, Ukrainian, Slovak
      > Czech, Uzbek, Slovenian
      >

      > These are the languages (I can think of right now) that I have no
      > contact with:
      > Polish, Arabic, Farsi, Greek, Bulgarian, Swahili (or any other
      > African languages), Maori, Afrikaans, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Urdu,
      > etc.
      >
      > Of course there can be many more... I hope to get help from some of
      > the Sinhalese-speaking students, but it can be Telugu, Malayalam,
      > Khonkani, Kannada, Tamil, Manipuri, Nganasan, Tibetan, Thai,
      > Javanese, Dakota or Yoruba ... as well.
      >
      > If there are among us any speakers of languages not mentioned in
      the
      > list of the 32 here above, please consider it and make a tryout. To
      > know more about the project pls go to message:

      > I can hardly wait to get to N.Y. and to see you (almost all) there.
      > It's really so great! I am a trained linguist and I would have
      never
      > imagined that once I would work on such a fascinating project with
      > such enthusiastic AND SO INDISPENSABLE people. My gratitude goes to
      > Sri Chinmoy for the poem, the idea and the opportunity--and to All
      > of you, seekers and students of Sri Chinmoy for actually
      > implementing it.
      > Thank You.
      > Yours gratefully,
      > Kamalika