26063For Mother Mary

  • doris.cott
    Jan 9, 2014
      Short after I had become a disciple of Sri Chinmoy I applied for a job at the town's graveyard, where I mostly cut back fast growing ivy and raked countless leaves in autumn. So, there was a lot of time to think of Guru or listen to his music. I really liked the job. From time to time I was sent to another, smaller graveyard that was located a little outside the city.

      As I spent small breaks in the chapel when it was cold outside, I sometimes overheard unintentionally the priest's funeral oration that I quickly got used to. One day, a homely woman that I had not seen before, joined our breakfast conversation. It turned out that she was invited to sing Ave Maria by Franz Schubert as part of the funeral ceremony. I never was into classical music but I was really stunned when I heard it for the first time, soulfully performed by this lady. Since then, whenever I saw her walking up the little hill that lead to the chapel I put my rake aside and sneaked behind a curtain that allowed me to listen...I went so far of even learning the song by heart.

      Doris