25814Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: How Guru opened the 2004 Marathon

  • mahiruha_27
    Apr 30, 2013
      I remember, in 2004, at the start of the 2004 marathon, I was standing very close to Guru when he offered the opening meditation. He stood on a small, slightly raised wooden platform, with his arms crossed over his chest, his knees a little bent. It was a little chilly, so I think he wore an overcoat. His eyes were half open when he started meditating. Then his eyes started rolling up and up and began flickering. He entered into a deep state of meditation, a trance, I can't really fathom. He nodded slightly from time to time and rocked a little bit back and forth. I was standing practically right in front of him, just a few feet away!

      I looked at him meditating, and I felt myself enter into some kind of altered state of consciousness. I mean, sometimes when I looked at him, he seemed to be wearing a turban. But then I blinked my eyes and I noticed that no, his head was completely bare. Also, from time to time, I would see through Guru, I would see the trees and cars directly behind him. Then I would blink my eyes and his body regained its normal solidity and reality. It was the kind of meditation that goes beyond almost anything I had ever experienced.

      And the thing was, the more deeply he entered into this state, the more humble he became! It seemed like he just became a little child, surfing and skipping over the waves of some infinite ocean. And at other times, his whole human personality seemed to disappear completely. He became the infinite ocean itself, just a vast rolling plane of undifferentiated consciousness, vast and extended.

      Then he nodded a little and asked one of his attendants a simple question, like if someone was here and the guard answered yes. And Guru folded his hands and very, very seriously and soulfully gave the following prayer:

      Today's marathon
      Is a unique
      God-Invocation,
      God-Revelation
      And God-Manifestation
      Journey
      In the physical-body-world.

      He said it very softly, so that only the people who were very close to him could hear.

      Then I think he smiled and began clapping and we all started running. It was a difficult marathon for me, but I finished in pretty good time. But I will never forget that opening meditation.

      --Mahiruha
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic