25756Re: Sushumna

  • arpan_deangelo
    Mar 26, 2013
      Thank you for writing that sweet memorial to Sushumna. I did not know she passed away. I have a few very nice early memories of her as well. I will mention one here and then hopefully with a little more time I can write something more for her memory.

      The first Birthday Celebrations Week was in August 1972. I had been a disciple for about 4 months and I had just turned 20 years old the month before, in July. It was pretty intense with the new style of life and then this amazing week of activities with people from around the world. There were only a few hundred disciples then, which is nothing compared to now, but still it was a uniquely energizing and sometimes intimidating experience.

      Sushumna was one of the 'senior' members and had been a disciple for over a year or two I believe. Back then to get to know a disciple who was on the path for over a year and even two, three or four years was quite thrilling. Sushumna, along with Mukti and other women who were perhaps my mother's age back then were so kind to the younger and newer disciples. Sometimes we would have to give them rides to Connecticut where many of the functions were, including Guru's Birthday, and they would just talk to us like brothers and sisters.

      I had never had this kind of experience with the older generation before. Anyone around my mother or father's age were always just older adults who usually just treated us like kids. But Sushumna, who was one of the few British disciples that I had met in those first months, was very sweet and reassuring with a very loving sense of understanding for young disciples.

      This I will never forget and inspires me to emulate when I, as an 'elder', mix with younger disciples and try to empathize with them.

      Gratefully,
      Arpan
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic