25493Recollections on Sri Chinmoy: Two stories from Pradhan

  • mahiruha_27
    Sep 10, 2012
      Two stories from Pradhan (not previously published)

      I am telling these stories in my own words. Pradhan has told these interesting stories a couple of times in the Chicago Centre, and gave me kind permission to share them in this forum. Any mistakes or inaccuracies are of course completely my own!

      In July of 2003 or 2004, Pradhan came to New York to serve as Guru's masseur. Pradhan, as many of you know, is a restauranteur who moonlights as a graphic designer and, relevant to this story, chiropractor. He informed Guru of his arrival (his flight arrived sometime in the afternoon) and Guru called him that evening, asking him to come to his house. As soon as Guru saw Pradhan, he said, "Oy, I have been sending you inner messages all this past week, asking you to come! Where have you been?"

      Pradhan paused for a moment, and then said. "Guru, just call me. Don't try this inner message business with me! Just call me!"

      In 1980, Pradhan experienced a serious crisis in his spiritual life. Guru asked him to come to New York, and gave him a loving but very serious lecture. He finished his talk by telling Pradhan, "Believe me…If you do what I tell you, you will see me everywhere."

      The next day Pradhan drove back to Chicago. While driving home, he saw Guru in the rearview mirror, sitting in the back seat wearing a yellow dhoti. He had this experience two or three times. Guru was looking at him pointedly, with what Pradhan describes as a "See, I told you" expression.

      Perhaps two weeks later, Guru invited Pradhan to return to New York, and to see him at his house. When Pradhan arrived at Guru's porch, he announced his arrival. Shortly thereafter, Guru came out. He sat on the couch across from Pradhan and looked at him for a long time.

      Finally, he said, "See, I told you."