25195OT - Discovering Wim Hof

  • abanna27
    Dec 6, 2011
      Wim Hof, aka "The Iceman," is a Dutch man who can regulate his core body temperature with his mind. He has broken 18 Guinness World Records. They include, but are not limited to, running a marathon in the arctic snow wearing nothing other than a pair of shorts (he was barefooted), swimming 57+ meters under thick ice wearing nothing but shorts and a pair of goggles, and immersing himself in ice cubes. On Nov. 17, 2011 (also Guinness World Records Day) at Bryant Park in New York City, he broke the record for the longest full-body ice immersion by staying immersed for 1 hour, 52 minutes, and 42 seconds. Photos show him in a glass box up to his neck in ice cubes.

      How does he do it? He uses a form of yoga meditation called Tummo which is particularly associated with an aspect of Tibetan Buddhism. Ah, the power of meditation. He says he has a way to turn his body thermostat up with his brain.

      The New Yorkers among our readers have likely heard of this man, but my husband and I first heard of him yesterday when we saw him in online commercials for Columbia Sportswear:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE_dFEEYAsA

      Google results include many links; here are one to Wikipedia and another to TV coverage of his most recent record last month in New York:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Hof

      Very awe-inspiring! Still, I am glad our Ashrita has chosen other venues.

      Shiver, shiver,
      Abanna