24885To Think or Not To Think

  • tejvan_13
    Feb 26, 2011
      Recently, we were giving a meditation class at a central location in Oxford. On the same evening as our meditation class, another room in the building was host to a lecture series which was part of an event called 'Think Week'.

      The location of our room meant everyone coming for the 'Think' lecture passed through our room. We would politely ask 'Meditation or Think?' (I did consider asking 'are you here to think or not to think? but thought it would confuse too much) we would then direct them onto the location. One of the attendees was Richard Dawkins, who had already given a lecture in the series. (Dawkins famous for his book God-Delusion e.t.c). Like others, he briefly he popped into our room before being re-directed on to the more cerebral choice of entertainment for the evening.

      I'm not sure what these visitors thought of our simple meditation shrine as they briefly looked in. - A picture of a Spiritual Master in samadhi, a candle, incense and flowers... Perhaps a sense of peace from the soft ethereal flute music of Sri Chinmoy...

      It just highlighted a choice we face in life. The path of the mind or the path of the heart.

      There was a time when I loved
      My story-teller-mind,
      But now I love and need
      Only my God-singer-heart.

      Sri Chinmoy, Two God-Amusement-Rivals: My Heart-Song-Beauty And My Life-Dance-Fragrance, Part 2.

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/1132/1/22

      There was a time when I loved
      The fantastic fabrics of the mind.
      There was a time