21486Ted Corbitt (was Re: Running in the Cold )

  • arpan_deangelo
    Dec 13, 2007
      Thank you Michael, for your warm reply about Ted and your wonderful
      and very meaningful poem about Suprabha. It definitely characterizes
      her quite well, which is surprising, since you have not even met her
      yet. I am sure that glorious day will come. Perhaps you can visit the
      3,100 mile race next year. I certainly plan to be there as well,
      probably as a helper, not a runner.

      The photo you saw of Sri Chinmoy and Ted Corbitt in 1978 was most
      likely at the 100 mile race in Flushing Meadows Park where Don Ritchie
      set an amazing and still unbeaten world record of 11 hours,50 minutes,
      which is incredible. I was also there and took a few kodak photos of
      Ted and Sri Chinmoy together, which is the first time that they met, I
      believe.

      That race in 1978 was unforgettable and immortal. This is what Ted
      said about that race,"The greatest ultra I ever saw was the 100-mile
      in Flushing Meadows Park(1978) where Don Ritchie ran 11:50. That was
      easily the best one I have seen. I have been in three world record
      races but I rate the Don Ritchie race superior."

      The other photo of Sri Chinmoy and Ted together from 1978 was the one
      where Sri Chinmoy gave an opening meditation at the New York City
      Marathon that year. Ted was holding a torch standing next to Sri
      Chinmoy who was meditating in a white dhoti. This photo is actually on
      the cover of Sri Chinmoy's book, 'Ten Thousand Flower Flames, Part
      10'. This is also an immortal photo. The torch is actually from our
      first 50-state relay run called 'Liberty Torch', held in 1976 to honor
      America's Bicentennial, or 200 years.

      In the field of running and long distance racing, Ted Corbitt and Sri
      Chinmoy are definitely the most influential 'warriors' and inspirers
      that the world has ever seen or may ever see for a long time. Now they
      are together in the inner worlds, running 'the length and breadth of
      the entire world', as you so aptly expressed in the last line of your
      poem. Thank you again for that wonderful sentiment.

      Gratefully,
      Arpan

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, assistantmummer
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Dear Arpan,
      >
      > Your story about Suprabha stayed with me. I think it helps to know
      > about her running style, physical form, and personality.
      >
      > I do not know her, but in learning about Sri Chinmoy's philosophy of
      > sport, I came to read some articles and interviews, and see her picture.
      >
      > A few years back, Bhuvah wrote:
      >
      > "In this era, women are in the vanguard of many activities that were
      > not available to them in former times, and the progress they have made
      > in most arenas is remarkable. Sri Chinmoy has selflessly and naturally
      > fostered and encouraged this process. ... In the world, it seems that
      > men are releasing their hierarchies of power and dominance, and making
      > room for feminine softness, love, wisdom and oneness, allowing women's
      > natural abilities of communication, listening, sharing and compassion
      > to come to the fore."

      > Sri Chinmoy himself has said words to the effect that peace is solid
      > power.
      >
      > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-flame-waves/part1/9.html
      >
      > That is the essence of Suprabha's running style. She seems to get all
      > her strength from peace. She enters into a place in her heart which is
      > all peace, and then just runs, and runs, and runs, and runs from that
      > place.
      >
      > She is of modest height. So Arpan, you guys were probably a hobby
      > horse's head taller than her. And when you came along in a very
      > dynamic way, you rousted her!
      >
      > Suprabha is the peaceful warrior of the ultra-distance world. She
      > competes only with herself; and she always wins! Thursday morning, I
      > was out for a brisk walk and even did some (mercifully) short
      > windsprints. I was concentrating on her, and got this poem:
      >

      > Warrior
      > (for Suprabha Beckjord)
      >
      > My Lord,
      > How I admire your book,
      > Warriors of the Inner World.
      > Please tell me:
      > How can I become such a warrior?
      >
      > "My child, simple:
      > Just retire into your heart-cave."
      >
      > Father,
      > If I retire into my heart-cave,
      > No one will ever hear of me.
      >
      > "Child,
      > The length and breadth
      > Of the entire world will hear of you
      > Because,
      > You will run the length and breadth
      > Of the entire world."
      >
      > * * *
      >
      > Michael
      >
      > P.S. Sorry to hear about Ted Corbitt. Right now I'm looking at a
      > picture of him with Sri Chinmoy taken in 1978. Just two months ago, on
      > October 13, Ted offered a tribute to Sri Chinmoy:
      >
      > http://www.srichinmoybio.co.uk/news/tributes/selected-comments-iv/

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic