21396Re: Books By Disciples of Spiritual Masters

    Dec 5, 2007
      Hi Tejvan,
      What a great topic! I would like to add the title "A Disciple's
      Journal : In the Company of Swami Ashokananda" by Sister Gargi
      published in October 2003 ISBN 0970636822.

      The author was a disciple of the head of the Vedanta Society
      (Ramakrishna Order) of California in the 1950's. Some of my friends in
      the centre have read it and find many parallels to our experiences in
      her reminiscences. I have yet to read it myself but here is an excerpt
      of a book review by Midwest Book Review Magazine - library review journal:

      "A Disciple's Journal: In The Company Of Swami Ashokananda by Sister
      Gargi (Marie Louise Burke) is the compelling and true personal
      testimony of one woman's spiritual training during the course of two
      decades, at the hands of Swami Ashokananda (1893-1969), the spiritual
      teacher of the Ramakrishna Order and head of the Vedanta Society of
      Northern California. Sister Gargi's journey began in the 1950s as she
      learned meditation in the Hindu tradition of Vedanta, and as she
      pursued her spiritual quest Sister Gargi became a literary figure in
      the Vedanta movement. Sister Gargi's inner development, the highs and
      lows of the path she followed, and the rewards of patient dedication
      are all contained in this thoughtful and uplifting account,
      recommended to all dedicated students of Religion, Spirituality, and
      Metaphysics."
      http://www.amazon.com/Disciples-Journal-Company-Swami-Ashokananda/dp/0970636822/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196877118&sr=1-1