21380Re: Books By Disciples of Spiritual Masters

  • purnakama2000
    Dec 3, 2007
      Yes Tejvan, I agree. Sometimes these books by other spiritual
      masters can help to shed new light on an old theme and give us new

      One of my favorites is a small book by Sri Aurobindo called the
      Bases of Yoga. It is essentially a book of answers to questions that
      Sri Aurobindo's students asked Him about the spiritual life. Although
      the questions do not appear, you can glean the jist of the question
      from the short replies which appear. This is not one of Sri Aurobindo's heavy intellectual works so it is easy to read, and it has been invaluable to me. There is a chapter entitled "In Difficulty" which has saved me on more than one occasion.

      I am currently reading The Emergence of the Psychic by Sri Aurobindo
      and the Mother. Also a very easy and insightful read.

      One other excellent book that Shishir introduced me to is The Sermon
      on the Mount According to Vedanta by Swami Prabhavananda. He takes Christ's sermon on the mount and compares the message that is within it to writings from other world religions and truly creates a feeling of oneness as he points out the similarities of the essential truths that lie within each. A very inspiring read.

      I hope more people offer their favorites here.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic