20089Re: The way of the warrior

  • cott_doris
    May 31, 2007
      Dear Sharani,

      I consciously tried to compensate my incomplete statement with the
      word "some" due to already mentioned physical incapacity. Thank you
      for making it perfect by quoting the master.

      Being a mother myself I would never attribute and I never did
      attribute my children to the below said.

      I would like to come back later to the subject in a different post,
      since this post was dedicated to the runners of the 3100 mile race.
      In a way you took my statement slightly away from it's context. My
      intention was to underline the heroic effort to go on this not so
      comprehensable pilgrimage of brave runners.

      > Dear Doris and Smarana,
      > Your conversation about the 3100 mile race, the wisdom it offers to
      > both the participants and observers and the subject of illness/karma
      > weave a very thought-provoking and interesting topic. Thank you for
      > sharing your thoughts with all of us and I do hope that you both
      find
      > healing and are feeling better soon.
      >
      > As part of the discourse, Doris commented,
      > "some diseases are the result of a past action, as we all know
      > nowadays. That is no secret. And it is up to the person to see
      > illness as a golden opportunity (if not forced to) to change it's
      > life, make progress and be grateful."
      >
      > Somehow - correctly or incorrectly - I have the impression that
      karma
      > and illness are not necessarily mere cause and effect. I'm prone to
      > fierce protective streak sometimes and I think the motherly side of
      me
      > would never wish for anyone to attribute their illnesses to karma
      > without giving themselves the credit that it could be happening for
      > multiple other reasons.
      >
      > With the idea to explore the topic further, I was intrigued to look
      > for some of Sri Chinmoy's writings on illness in his online library
      > and see if I could find out more about his philosophy on this
      subject.
      > If you type in the word illness in the Sri Chinmoy online library,
      > there are 51 search results and if you subtract the ones where it
      is a
      > poem, fictional story or aphorism, there remain about 13 answers to
      > questions related to this topic. These writings are overflowing with
      > deep food for thought on the subject of illness from a spiritual
      > perspective.
      >
      > Here is a selection excerpted on the subject exactly:
      >
      > "Question: How much of illness is due to karma and how much is due
      > physical factors?
      >
      > Sri Chinmoy: It is a very complicated matter. Sometimes the
      > constitution of an individual is not strong, either because of
      > hereditary factors or from lack of nourishment during childhood. So
      he
      > is a victim to sickness quite often. Or sometimes the wrong forces
      get
      > pleasure by attacking an aspiring soul..."
      > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/soul-evolution/12.html
      >

      > The following selection relates to the relationship between
      gratitude
      > and healing:
      >
      > "There is a lot of sickness and sadness in the world. What is the
      best
      > way to seek spiritual healing?
      >
      > Sri Chinmoy: The best way to seek spiritual healing is to offer
      > gratitude every day for a fleeting second to the Supreme Healer.
      When
      > we offer gratitude to Him for what we have or for what we are right
      > now, then our heart of aspiration and dedication expands. That means
      > that our receptivity increases. When receptivity increases, God's
      > Light, which is all healing, can enter into us in abundant measure.
      It
      > is in the heart of gratitude that God's Light can permanently
      > abide.Illness is all around. How can we cure it? We can cure it only
      > through our gratitude-heart. We have to offer our gratitude to the
      > Absolute Supreme that He has given us the sincere inner cry to cure
      > humanity's suffering. There are many who do not care to cure illness
      > either within themselves or within the world. There are many
      millions
      > and billions of people on earth, but how many are crying to cure the
      > sufferings an ills of mankind? Very few..."
      > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/giver-receiver/13.html
      >

      > This question and answer discuss the power of prayer:
      >
      > "Question: Do you think it is possible for a seeker to cure physical
      > illness through prayer?
      >
      > Sri Chinmoy: Absolutely! Suppose your father is sick and you pray to
      > God. If your prayer is soulful, then God will definitely cure your
      > father if that is His Will. But even if your prayer is most soulful,
      > if God wants your father to go through an experience of sickness, He
      > knows what is best for your father as well as for you. Then you have
      > to know that God Himself is suffering in and through your father. It
      > is God Himself who is having that particular experience. But even if
      > God does not cure your father, your soulful prayers will not be
      lost.
      > God will fulfil your prayers in a different way..."
      > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/canada-aspires/part2/33.html
      >

      > The following portion of a question and answer displays Sri
      Chinmoy's
      > thoughts on how illness begins on the thought level long before it
      > manifests on the physical:
      >

      > "Question: Is there any way that we can avoid minor illnesses like
      > colds?
      >
      > Sri Chinmoy: Certainly. We can avoid them if we can pay attention to
      > their first warning in the mental plane. In the mental plane we get
      > warning, but we neglect it. We feel that it will not come to the
      > physical plane. As soon as we notice that we are going to get an
      > attack on the physical plane, we have to fight against it. Just to
      > notice the warning on the mental plane is not enough. We have to
      fight
      > against it immediately. Otherwise, from the mental plane it will
      come
      > to the vital and then to the physical plane. While it is in the
      mental
      > plane we do not pay attention to it; therefore, it starts
      descending.
      > Once it comes to the vital plane it becomes very difficult to stop
      it.
      > And when it reaches the physical it is most difficult.
      >
      > No disease, not even a little cold, can immediately attack us on the
      > physical plane. First it attacks on the mental plane. But we do not
      > know what is happening on the mental plane because most of the time
      we
      > remain in the physical consciousness. So until the ailment has
      > attacked our physical body we are not aware of it..."
      > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/politics-spirituality/43.html
      >

      > The selection from his writings which touched me the most starts out
      > as an answer to a question about the suffering of animals and ends
      > with a profound discourse on the role of oneness with God's will in
      > one's life as the only key to true happiness. Here is one excerpt
      > although if you are like me you will want to follow the link and
      read
      > the entire piece.
      >
      > "To come back to your question, animals do suffer. Categorically I
      > cannot say why. If I see the animal, I will be able to tell. In
      > general, the answer is that God is having an experience in and
      through
      > them. Even to come to that realisation is a most difficult thing.
      When
      > somebody pinches me, I want to give a slap to that person - tit for
      > tat. But if we have a higher realisation, then we can see that it is
      > God who is pinching us and God who is experiencing in and through us
      > either suffering or joy. God has formed a circle and He is moving
      > around the circle. This moment we call it joy; the next moment we
      call
      > it sadness or sorrow, and the next moment we see that this is only
      His
      > Game. Perfection is in accepting the suffering as such and the joy
      as
      > such. We have to become conscious instruments of God to give Him the
      > satisfaction of experiencing suffering or joy. If we have a higher
      > realisation, we do not see imperfection in God's creation. We see
      that
      > what we call imperfection or suffering is something that has to be
      > transformed into permanent ecstasy or delight."
      > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-answers/part19/1.html
      >

      > I feel it is such a blessing to have the wisdom and guidance of Sri
      > Chinmoy's writings and inner assistance with life's thorniest and
      > complicated sufferings. Concerning the notion of illness starting
      on
      > a thought level, I must say that in some cases my congenital and
      > hereditary spinal problems have an uncanny knack for flaring up on
      the
      > coattails of some emotional suffering.
      >
      > My last bout that really sidelined me 1 1/2 years ago was shortly
      > after a verbal pummeling from my parents that left me doubting my
      own
      > worth. It must have been hardly a coincidence that after losing a
      > round on the mental battlefield I suddenly had serious issues to
      > grapple with in my physical body. And I was especially lucky to have
      > that particular bout also removed shortly thereafter during a brief
      > outer conversation with Sri Chinmoy in New York. The tales of his
      > healing miracles can and do fill multiple tomes of disciples'
      personal
      > experiences as his students.
      >
      > This personal example of the relationship between the mental plane
      and
      > the physical leads me to believe and agree that the qualities of the
      > spiritual heart (grown stronger through meditation) are a powerful
      > tool regarding illness. And with the comments on living in the
      > spiritual heart as the key to a wonderful multi-day race, I guess I
      > have come full circle and find we are all speaking the same
      language -
      > the language of the heart - taught to us most lovingly by Sri
      Chinmoy
      > himself.
      >
      > Sharani
      >

      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, cott_doris
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes, me to can't go...lament, lament
      > >
      > > Once more your way of responding proves your modesty, Smarana.
      > >
      > > Whereas the 3100 mile race is a self-chosen journey or how can I
      call
      > > it? some diseases are the result of a past action, as we all know
      > > nowadays. That is no secret. And it is up to the person to see
      > > illness as a golden opportunity (if not forced to) to change it's
      > > life, make progress and be grateful. And many of you if not all
      did
      > > not run the 3100 miler once but several times.
      > >
      > > I learned already a lot according to my human understanding.For
      > > instance, it is surely not only up to you runners to talk about
      your
      > > inner experiences but it is rather we who have to talk about you
      and
      > > praising you!
      > >
      > > When I first tried to feel something by imagining the number 3100
      > > sincerely got frightend and closed up. The next time I merely
      > > imagined the number the mind gave space for it and I saw a wide
      but
      > > empty field.
      > >
      > > It took us only two times of counting you runners in two days
      (more
      > > was not possible) to become kind of *addicted*, addicted in the
      sense
      > > of feeling the importance and oneness to help or serve in this
      race.
      > > (I wrote a message back last year and don't want to repeat
      myself).

      > > In the airplane going back to Switzerland with my friend we didn't
      > > speak much but knew what the other was thinking because we left
      right
      > > from the race to the airport.
      > >
      > > At home we checked the race internet site everyday for news and
      were
      > > [http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/3100%5d
      > > happy about the many photos on which one could clearly see the
      > > changes in the faces of the runners. Unforgetable! Each runner's
      face
      > > according to his and her temperament was shining with light. And
      the
      > > interviews!!
      > >
      > > Now I was happy to see Helmut running the 6/10 day race in New
      York.
      > > For those who don't know Helmut served Madhupran the world record
      > > holder the whole time like a brother. We also very much enjoyed
      his
      > > humour. He told us he would not run long distances anymore
      because of
      > > injuries. And now you see that!
      > >
      > > Doris
      > >
      > > P.S Maybe your soul knew how to end the poem-song.
      > >
      > > "Experience is my teacher
      > > I love him, and I love him.
      > > Realisation is my tutor
      > > I love plus I need him."
      > >
      > > A comment on divine love from your mouth is like a "slap" to the
      > > world to wake up.
      > >
      > > Who does not go through that. I get very much and immediate
      > > inspiration from Krishna Das who says in his song from the
      CD "Door
      > > Of Faith"
      > >
      > > "I have no love
      > > Nor do I know You.
      > > I don't even have the strength
      > > To worship You.
      > > But this mind of mine, this body of mine,
      > > My every atom is dedicated to You."
      > >

      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, smarana31
      > > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Thank you Doris for your reply!
      > > >
      > > > Especially the following sentence was urging my attention and
      > > > response; maybe also because right now I am sick myself and can
      not
      > > go
      > > > to the joyday.
      > > >
      > > > This is so very right what you said.
      > > >
      > > > "I thought maybe people with serious diseases or people being in
      > > pain
      > > > suffering from this or that have a little bit of a similar
      > > experience."
      > > >
      > > > Well the runners might get a little bit more of attention for
      the
      > > > 3100miles race, but are we not all in a kind of long endurance
      > > > "contest/race..."
      > > >
      > > > Everybody is running the "race", but in a different form. Some
      are
      > > > artists, some are poets,musicians, some are karmayogis..., I
      guess
      > > > most of us have little pit of everything, so we all have to run
      our
      > > > individual race.
      > > >
      > > > Nothing is better or worse, it is just our way of making
      progress,
      > > or
      > > > becoming a better person.
      > > >
      > > > Experience is my teacher