20074Re: The way of the warrior

    May 28, 2007
      Dear Doris and Smarana,
      Your conversation about the 3100 mile race, the wisdom it offers to
      both the participants and observers and the subject of illness/karma
      weave a very thought-provoking and interesting topic. Thank you for
      sharing your thoughts with all of us and I do hope that you both find
      healing and are feeling better soon.

      As part of the discourse, Doris commented,
      "some diseases are the result of a past action, as we all know
      nowadays. That is no secret. And it is up to the person to see
      illness as a golden opportunity (if not forced to) to change it's
      life, make progress and be grateful."

      Somehow - correctly or incorrectly - I have the impression that karma
      and illness are not necessarily mere cause and effect. I'm prone to a
      fierce protective streak sometimes and I think the motherly side of me
      would never wish for anyone to attribute their illnesses to karma
      without giving themselves the credit that it could be happening for
      multiple other reasons.

      With the idea to explore the topic further, I was intrigued to look
      for some of Sri Chinmoy's writings on illness in his online library
      and see if I could find out more about his philosophy on this subject.
      If you type in the word illness in the Sri Chinmoy online library,
      there are 51 search results and if you subtract the ones where it is a
      poem, fictional story or aphorism, there remain about 13 answers to
      questions related to this topic. These writings are overflowing with
      deep food for thought on the subject of illness from a spiritual
      perspective.

      Here is a selection excerpted on the subject exactly:

      "Question: How much of illness is due to karma and how much is due to
      physical factors?

      Sri Chinmoy: It is a very complicated matter. Sometimes the
      constitution of an individual is not strong, either because of
      hereditary factors or from lack of nourishment during childhood. So he
      is a victim to sickness quite often. Or sometimes the wrong forces get
      pleasure by attacking an aspiring soul..."
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/soul-evolution/12.html

      The following selection relates to the relationship between gratitude
      and healing:

      "There is a lot of sickness and sadness in the world. What is the best
      way to seek spiritual healing?

      Sri Chinmoy: The best way to seek spiritual healing is to offer
      gratitude every day for a fleeting second to the Supreme Healer. When
      we offer gratitude to Him for what we have or for what we are right
      now, then our heart of aspiration and dedication expands. That means
      that our receptivity increases. When receptivity increases, God's
      Light, which is all healing, can enter into us in abundant measure. It
      is in the heart of gratitude that God's Light can permanently
      abide.Illness is all around. How can we cure it? We can cure it only
      through our gratitude-heart. We have to offer our gratitude to the
      Absolute Supreme that He has given us the sincere inner cry to cure
      humanity's suffering. There are many who do not care to cure illness
      either within themselves or within the world. There are many millions
      and billions of people on earth, but how many are crying to cure the
      sufferings an ills of mankind? Very few..."
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/giver-receiver/13.html

      This question and answer discuss the power of prayer:

      "Question: Do you think it is possible for a seeker to cure physical
      illness through prayer?

      Sri Chinmoy: Absolutely! Suppose your father is sick and you pray to
      God. If your prayer is soulful, then God will definitely cure your
      father if that is His Will. But even if your prayer is most soulful,
      if God wants your father to go through an experience of sickness, He
      knows what is best for your father as well as for you. Then you have
      to know that God Himself is suffering in and through your father. It
      is God Himself who is having that particular experience. But even if
      God does not cure your father, your soulful prayers will not be lost.
      God will fulfil your prayers in a different way..."
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/canada-aspires/part2/33.html

      The following portion of a question and answer displays Sri Chinmoy's
      thoughts on how illness begins on the thought level long before it
      manifests on the physical:

      "Question: Is there any way that we can avoid minor illnesses like
      colds?

      Sri Chinmoy: Certainly. We can avoid them if we can pay attention to
      their first warning in the mental plane. In the mental plane we get a
      warning, but we neglect it. We feel that it will not come to the
      physical plane. As soon as we notice that we are going to get an
      attack on the physical plane, we have to fight against it. Just to
      notice the warning on the mental plane is not enough. We have to fight
      against it immediately. Otherwise, from the mental plane it will come
      to the vital and then to the physical plane. While it is in the mental
      plane we do not pay attention to it; therefore, it starts descending.
      Once it comes to the vital plane it becomes very difficult to stop it.
      And when it reaches the physical it is most difficult.

      No disease, not even a little cold, can immediately attack us on the
      physical plane. First it attacks on the mental plane. But we do not
      know what is happening on the mental plane because most of the time we
      remain in the physical consciousness. So until the ailment has
      attacked our physical body we are not aware of it..."
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/politics-spirituality/43.html

      The selection from his writings which touched me the most starts out
      as an answer to a question about the suffering of animals and ends
      with a profound discourse on the role of oneness with God's will in
      one's life as the only key to true happiness. Here is one excerpt
      although if you are like me you will want to follow the link and read
      the entire piece.

      "To come back to your question, animals do suffer. Categorically I
      cannot say why. If I see the animal, I will be able to tell. In
      general, the answer is that God is having an experience in and through
      them. Even to come to that realisation is a most difficult thing. When
      somebody pinches me, I want to give a slap to that person - tit for
      tat. But if we have a higher realisation, then we can see that it is
      God who is pinching us and God who is experiencing in and through us
      either suffering or joy. God has formed a circle and He is moving
      around the circle. This moment we call it joy; the next moment we call
      it sadness or sorrow, and the next moment we see that this is only His
      Game. Perfection is in accepting the suffering as such and the joy as
      such. We have to become conscious instruments of God to give Him the
      satisfaction of experiencing suffering or joy. If we have a higher
      realisation, we do not see imperfection in God's creation. We see that
      what we call imperfection or suffering is something that has to be
      transformed into permanent ecstasy or delight."
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-answers/part19/1.html

      I feel it is such a blessing to have the wisdom and guidance of Sri
      Chinmoy's writings and inner assistance with life's thorniest and
      complicated sufferings. Concerning the notion of illness starting on
      a thought level, I must say that in some cases my congenital and
      hereditary spinal problems have an uncanny knack for flaring up on the
      coattails of some emotional suffering.

      My last bout that really sidelined me 1 1/2 years ago was shortly
      after a verbal pummeling from my parents that left me doubting my own
      worth. It must have been hardly a coincidence that after losing a
      round on the mental battlefield I suddenly had serious issues to
      grapple with in my physical body. And I was especially lucky to have
      that particular bout also removed shortly thereafter during a brief
      outer conversation with Sri Chinmoy in New York. The tales of his
      healing miracles can and do fill multiple tomes of disciples' personal
      experiences as his students.

      This personal example of the relationship between the mental plane and
      the physical leads me to believe and agree that the qualities of the
      spiritual heart (grown stronger through meditation) are a powerful
      tool regarding illness. And with the comments on living in the
      spiritual heart as the key to a wonderful multi-day race, I guess I
      have come full circle and find we are all speaking the same language -
      the language of the heart - taught to us most lovingly by Sri Chinmoy
      himself.

      Sharani

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, cott_doris
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Yes, me to can't go...lament, lament
      >
      > Once more your way of responding proves your modesty, Smarana.
      >
      > Whereas the 3100 mile race is a self-chosen journey or how can I call
      > it? some diseases are the result of a past action, as we all know
      > nowadays. That is no secret. And it is up to the person to see
      > illness as a golden opportunity (if not forced to) to change it's
      > life, make progress and be grateful. And many of you if not all did
      > not run the 3100 miler once but several times.
      >
      > I learned already a lot according to my human understanding.For
      > instance, it is surely not only up to you runners to talk about your
      > inner experiences but it is rather we who have to talk about you and
      > praising you!
      >
      > When I first tried to feel something by imagining the number 3100 I
      > sincerely got frightend and closed up. The next time I merely
      > imagined the number the mind gave space for it and I saw a wide but
      > empty field.
      >
      > It took us only two times of counting you runners in two days (more
      > was not possible) to become kind of *addicted*, addicted in the sense
      > of feeling the importance and oneness to help or serve in this race.
      > (I wrote a message back last year and don't want to repeat myself).
      >
      > In the airplane going back to Switzerland with my friend we didn't
      > speak much but knew what the other was thinking because we left right
      > from the race to the airport.
      >
      > At home we checked the race internet site everyday for news and were
      > [http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/3100%5d
      > happy about the many photos on which one could clearly see the
      > changes in the faces of the runners. Unforgetable! Each runner's face
      > according to his and her temperament was shining with light. And the
      > interviews!!
      >
      > Now I was happy to see Helmut running the 6/10 day race in New York.
      > For those who don't know Helmut served Madhupran the world record
      > holder the whole time like a brother. We also very much enjoyed his
      > humour. He told us he would not run long distances anymore because of
      > injuries. And now you see that!
      >
      > Doris
      >
      > P.S Maybe your soul knew how to end the poem-song.
      >
      > "Experience is my teacher
      > I love him, and I love him.
      > Realisation is my tutor
      > I love plus I need him."
      >
      > A comment on divine love from your mouth is like a "slap" to the
      > world to wake up.
      >
      > Who does not go through that. I get very much and immediate
      > inspiration from Krishna Das who says in his song from the CD "Door
      > Of Faith"
      >
      > "I have no love
      > Nor do I know You.
      > I don't even have the strength
      > To worship You.
      > But this mind of mine, this body of mine,
      > My every atom is dedicated to You."
      >

      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, smarana31
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thank you Doris for your reply!

> [...]