19869Re: A Poem

  • auckland13centre
    Apr 6, 2007
      -Now my couriosity is awakened
      I Googled the phrase "to warm the cockles of ones heart" and came up
      with a more typical explanation, which I copy and paste here--
      To warm the cockles of your heart implies a feeling of pleasure and
      affection. The cockles here are said to come from the belief that 17th
      century anatomists likened the shape of the ventricles of the heart to
      that of the marine mollusc of the same name and, of course, the heart
      has always been regarded as the seat of love and affection.
      Another search found--The cockles of the heart are simply the heart
      itself and, metaphorically, one's deepest feelings. The word cockles
      is used either as a comparison of the shape of the heart with that of
      a cockleshell, or because the zoological name for cockle is 'cardium'
      - related to the Greek for heart, as in 'cardiac' - or because the
      Latin name for the ventricles of the heart is 'cochleae cordis' (the
      first word of which means snail-shells) because of their appearance.
      This last explanation sounds the most likely.
      The expression I heard as a child was, I think ,cockle head, hence my
      last post.
      Hope I have not bored everyone. Thanks-Nick.

      -- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, purnakama2000
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Hi Karina and Kamalakanta,
      >
      > So far as I know a cockle is some sort of shellfish. I just remember
      > the song Molly Malone where
      > "she wheels her wheel barrow, through streets broad and narrow
      > crying cockles and mussels, alive, alive-o"
      >
      > Why anyone would have a mollusk living in their heart, let alone try
      > to keep it warm in there is beyond me, but perhaps others have
      > different suggestions:)
      >
      > Purnakama
      >
      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kwcanb
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Kamalakanta,
      > >
      > > I do not know what a cockle is and I have never thought to ask.
      > > Anyone?
      > >
      > > My name is Karina. You have played with my son Jack (age 6)in
      > your
      > > lovely health food store a couple of years ago. We are from
      > > Canberra Australia.
      > >
      > > Maybe we could have a competition for the most creative suggestion
      > > for what a cockle is. I got the expression from my parents I
      > > think. They have a lot to answer for!!!
      > >
      > > Regards
      > >
      > > Karina
      > >
      > > PS I have been kicked off the yahoo service many times so my name
      > > was unavailable this time round.
      > >
      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47
      > > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I just have two questions:
      > > >
      > > > First of all, what is a cockle? I did not have my heart had one,
      > > much
      > > > less more than one!
      > > >
      > > > Second of all, may we know your name? Who is kwcanb?
      > > >
      > > > It is always good to call people by their name, specially when
      > > > replying to their messages here....let us see,
      > > >
      > > > "Dear kwcanb..." No, it does not sound quite right to me!
      > > >
      > > > Kamalakanta
      > > >
      > > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kwcanb
      > <no_reply@>

      > will