19852Re: A Poem

    Apr 4, 2007
      Hi, Karina!

      I hope you and Jack are doing well....send him my thanks for having
      fun with me in the store!

      After I sent my message to you, I looked up the word "cockle" in an
      internet dictionary, Dictionary.com. Here is the address:
      http://dictionary.reference.com/

      And this is what I found about the word cockle:

      "1. any bivalve mollusk of the genus Cardium, having somewhat
      heart-shaped, radially ribbed valves, esp. C. edule, the common edible
      species of Europe.
      2. any of various allied or similar mollusks.
      3. cockleshell (defs. 1, 2).
      4. a wrinkle; pucker: a cockle in fabric.
      5. a small, crisp candy of sugar and flour, bearing a motto.
      â€"verb (used without object)
      6. to contract into wrinkles; pucker: This paper cockles easily.
      7. to rise in short, irregular waves; ripple: The waves cockled along
      the shore.
      â€"verb (used with object)
      8. to cause to wrinkle, pucker, or ripple: The wind cockled the water.
      â€"Idiom
      9. cockles of one's heart, the depths of one's emotions or feelings:
      The happy family scene warmed the cockles of his heart.

      [Origin: 1350â€"1400; ME cokille < MF coqille < VL *cocchÄ«lia, L
      conchylia, pl. of conchȳlium < Gk konchȳ́lion, equiv. to konchȳ́l(é)
      mussel + -ion dim. suffix; cf. OE -cocc, in sǣ-cocc lit., sea-cockle <
      VL *coccus for L concha conch]"

      Thanks! When you wrote your message, it was absolutely the first time
      I saw that particular expression!

      Kamalakanta

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kwcanb <no_reply@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Kamalakanta,
      >
      > I do not know what a cockle is and I have never thought to ask.
      > Anyone?
      >
      > My name is Karina. You have played with my son Jack (age 6)in your
      > lovely health food store a couple of years ago. We are from
      > Canberra Australia.
      >
      > Maybe we could have a competition for the most creative suggestion
      > for what a cockle is. I got the expression from my parents I
      > think. They have a lot to answer for!!!
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Karina
      >
      > PS I have been kicked off the yahoo service many times so my name
      > was unavailable this time round.
      >
      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I just have two questions:
      > >
      > > First of all, what is a cockle? I did not have my heart had one,
      > much
      > > less more than one!
      > >
      > > Second of all, may we know your name? Who is kwcanb?
      > >
      > > It is always good to call people by their name, specially when
      > > replying to their messages here....let us see,
      > >
      > > "Dear kwcanb..." No, it does not sound quite right to me!
      > >
      > > Kamalakanta
      > >
      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kwcanb <no_reply@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Since poetry is a hot topic at the minute here is one that will
      > warm
      > > > the cockles of your heart - or not (I believe thats called
      > > > descriptive imagry, or is it a metaphore? Maybe it's both, it's
      > > > been a while.
      > > >
      > > > Weeping like a child,
      > > > Or is it howling,
      > > > Like a wolf running wild in the forest.
      > > >
      > > > How can I sit at the feet of the Supreme.
      > > >
      > > > Heart shredded by the claws of death,
      > > > Streaming forth a solid ray of light.
      > > > Promise, purity, assuredness.
      > > >
      > > > Soul stirring death.
      > > >
      > > > Death is the begining of life.
      > > >
      > > > Boundless love streaming through the blood,
      > > > Like a broken cloud and the promise
      > > > Of a ray of sunshine.
      > > >

      > > > I have a feeling I am going to regret posting that - but hey
      > what is
      > > > life without a bit of rawness.

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic