19514Re: Book inspiration: Eragon

  • smarana31
    Jan 31, 2007
      Yes, Abhinabha your are absolutely right, that this is a book that
      falls in the category of Lord of the Rings.
      I am right now more into talking books, so that I can run or train
      while listening to a book; so also here I was listening to the story
      on my ipod.
      The comparison of Eragon and Saphira's relationship to the
      relationship of Guru and his students, is a very nice one.
      I admit, that it is a must , for all the magical world loving society,
      to read this book.
      Smarana

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, abhinabha
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > A little while ago I bought a copy of the book 'Eragon' in a small
      > airport bookshop. Its title and the cover illustration of a childlike
      > looking dragon drew my attention. Several inner strings started
      > resonating as I picked up the book. I somehow felt drawn to it and
      > obeyed an inner urge to buy it. Once I started reading it I knew I had
      > really stumbled upon something special.
      >
      > I happen to be not just a big, but a huge Tolkien fan. The proof is
      > that I never read any book twice, but I've read Lord of the Rings
      > three times already. In 'Eragon' I found the same mystical attraction
      > of a world alive with wonder and magic, a world in many ways like
      > Middle Earth, but different enough to have its own unique beauty and
      > reality.
      >
      > The story is about a boy - Eragon - who finds a mysterious blue stone,
      > which turns out to be a dragon egg. The egg bursts open one night and
      > a tiny dragon hatchling emerges. Upon touching the little dragon
      > Eragon feels an overwhelming burst of energy entering into him. From
      > that moment on he and the dragon are inseparably linked by a magical
      > bond. Then the story unfolds and Eragon becomes a dragon rider, fated
      > to oppose the powerful rule of the evil king Galbatorix. He has much
      > to learn and has several teachers who perfect him in the ways of the
      > dragon riders, both in weaponry and in wisdom. Here the story has its
      > parallels with the Star Wars saga, where Luke Skywalker is trained by
      > yoda to become a jedi knight.
      >
      > Aside from a marvellous plot which is very well developed, highly
      > entertaining and deeply thrilling, the most beautiful thing about the
      > story to me is the relationship which develops between Eragon and
      > Saphira, his dragon. The dragon is a highly intelligent and very
      > evolved creature with both tremendous physical and occult powers. They
      > communicate through thoughts, using their minds. By dint of their
      > magical bond they have established such an intimate feeling of oneness
      > that they experience each other's emotions and feel the other as their
      > very own. I could not help but see this as a very powerful symbol of
      > the spiritual relationship of a spiritual Master and his disciple. In
      > the story Saphira's strength and capacities gradually enter into
      > Eragon and become his. In the spiritual life the Master's light and
      > consciousness gradually enter into the disciple to illumine him.
      >
      > It is an almost incredible fact that Christopher Paolini, the author
      > of the story, started writing 'Eragon' when he was only fifteen years
      > old and completed the second book of the saga, 'Eldest', when he was
      > twenty-one.
      >
      > The book has won wide public appeal and last december you may have
      > noticed the motion picture of 'Eragon' being released worldwide.
      > I highly recommend the book to lovers of magic, elves, dragons and the
      > eternal battle between good and evil.
      >

      > -Abhinabha

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic