19394Re: Guinness Man

    Jan 4, 2007
      Dear Thomas, thanks for such a nice article!

      search in Google pointed me towards your Sri Chinmoy Centre member
      page, so I believe you wrote it!

      The link to the original article in your member page is:
      http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/Members/thomas_mcguire/guinessman

      Ashrita is my boss at the health food store...he is two years older
      than me, and about twenty years younger in fitness, enthusiasm,
      determination and one-pointed concentration on his goals. He is also
      very humble an unassuming, self-effacing and a very selfless
      self-giver in every way. May I add he is also very compassionate?

      My gratitude to you for this article, and to Ashrita for his glowing
      example!

      Kamalakanta

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, thomasfromnz
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > [Dear Thomas, did you write this? If not, could you specify the
      online source?]

      > Ashrita Furman is the undisputed champion of Guinness world-record
      > breaking. Ashrita is one of many who have achieved remarkable feats
      > with the inner strength that they have learned to tap into with the
      > guidance of spiritual master Sri Chinmoy.
      >
      > Who would have thought that a humble health food store owner and
      > self-confessed former nerd could end up breaking more than a hundred
      > Guinness world records?
      >
      > Ashrita Furman, the holder of more Guiness records than anyone else
      > alive, has over the last 25 years broken 119 of them in a wide variety
      > of unusual and often hilarious ways – like pushing an orange along the
      > ground with his nose, stilt-walking 8 km in less than 40 minutes,
      > standing on a Swiss ball for over 2 hours, pogo-jumping along the
      > street while holding a small dog, balancing a milk bottle on his head
      > continuously for 81 miles and spinning the world's largest hula-hoop
      > (his 100th record).
      >
      > "Ask fans who's the greatest athlete of all times," The Christian
      > Science Monitor once wrote, "and you'll hear a familiar debate over
      > the likes of Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan and Babe Ruth. Ask avid
      > readers of the Guiness Book of World Records, howevever, and you're
      > likely to hear consensus on one name: Ashrita Furman".
      >
      > His urge to break new records has taken him all over the world, and to
      > numerous exotic places including Stonehenge, the Egyptian Pyramids and
      > the Great Wall of China. Just recently Ashrita broke four records in
      > four different countries in less than a month.
      >
      > One of Ashrita's favourite attempts was in 2003 when he visited the
      > Kelly Tarltons Aquarium in Auckland to break the record for what he
      > calls `gluggling' (underwater juggling).
      >
      > Ashrita jumped right into one of the fish tanks and started juggling
      > three lead balls. It wasn't long before a parrotfish swam over and
      > repeatedly bit his nose (a sign of affection, perhaps?), which brought
      > the attempt to a momentary halt. Undeterred by failure, Ashrita tried
      > a second time. 48 minutes and 36 seconds of non-stop gluggling later
      > and he had broken yet another Guinness world record. He is still the
      > current holder.
      >
      > Although Ashrita has a great deal of experience with breaking Guinness
      > world records, each one requires an enormous level of preparation and
      > endurance. When asked how the excitement of his latest records compare
      > to older ones he said "the first one was the biggest thrill because
      > throughout my whole childhood I had wanted to get into the Guinness
      > book of records but it's funny because there is a tremendous thrill
      > for me each time, it never fades, it never goes away". Ashrita
      > arranged his 103rd record to coincide with Guinness World Records Day
      > on November 9. It was for the fastest "fireman's carry", and called
> [...]
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic