19345Re: OT: Time for a new camera?

    Dec 20, 2006
      Hi Pavitrata,
      Now that I am settled back at home, I finally inquired about repairing
      my camera and found out that it would probably cost almost as much as
      I paid for it - hence not very cost effective.

      So I have begun mulling over the next step. I'm replying to your
      message below with a question about the bijou Canon F30. Can you point
      me to anything about it on the Internet? I'm not finding it in the
      U.S. version of Google and even tried Google Europe but I don't seem
      to be pulling anything up by searching "bijou Canon F30".

      As for graduating to my first SLR, I just checked out the Jan 2007
      issue of Popular Photography magazine to myself from the library
      because it has the Nikon D40 on the cover. I may be sold on this one
      because they say to "consider this if you want to move up from a
      point-and-shoot with a minimal learning curve."

      Since I am a novice about using cameras with lenses, I am wondering
      how commonly people use this type of camera when out for a day of
      sightseeing in a foreign country or for when I'm out walking on the
      bike path. Is it true that any zoom at all comes only from attachable
      lenses (please don't laugh loud enough to carry across the Atlantic if
      I'm unknowingly playing the fool). So I guess I'm trying to imagine
      how cumbersome it would be?

      Thanks for offering advice. Learning more about this stuff seems a
      little overwhelming so pointers are always appreciated.

      Sharani

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, pavitrata27
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Hi Sharani,
      >
      > Welcome to the DCC (dropped camera club), I think I am up to seven
      > that were bad enough to be write-offs.
      >
      > You could look at the bijou Canon F30, I have one, am delighted with
      > it, it won the European Compact Camera of the Year Award. Personally
      > I feel your photography has progressed so well that you are ready
      > for a digital SLR. You could look at the new Canon 400D or the new
      > Nikon D40, both very light and portable.
      >
      > All the above are digital.
      >
      > I hope you are healing well.
      >
      > Best wishes,
      > Pavitrata

      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I forgot that messages created in Safari and submitted to the
      > Inspiration Group
      > > automatically insert a funny partial line word wrap. Sorry that my
      > recent messages
      > > featured this visual distraction. I am attempting to write in the
      > Mac's textedit feature to
      > > see if that makes a difference. I only have the Safari browser on
      > the computer I am
      > > borrowing so I will see if this is a good workaround for
      > wraparound of lines in a proper
      > > fashion.
      > >
      > > I may be asking for camera advice soon from some of our members
      > who like to take
      > > photographs. While my camera did not break when I fell and it too
      > went flying through the
      > > air with a rough landing, I am now realizing that something in it
      > must be damaged. Having
      > > loaded photos onto the computer from my trip and working with them
      > in Iphoto, I see that
      > > perhaps 80 percent of them are somehow defective. The few that I
      > worked with to get to a
      > > decent state required serious and drastic editing of things that
      > should have been
      > > automatic. Perhaps I will bring it to a camera shop in the next
      > place with a town nearby. Or
      > > I may have to buy a new camera.
      > >
      > > I guess my camera has its own version of a knock to the noggin as
      > well. Now I just have to
      > > be patient and accept that it will be much more difficult to get
      > good photographs on this
      > > vacation. I may load a few before I come home. There are at least
      > a few that I like after
      > > much fussing with the brightness, etc.
      > >
      > > I hope if not many visuals wing their way over the Web that you
      > can imagine instead that I
      > > am sending a comparable measure of goodwill and good wishes
      > because so many of my
      > > fellow travellers carry our extended family inside our hearts.
      > >
      > > Sharani

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic