19127Re: Live from RISD with Ashrita's Latest Record Attempt

  • sarah_inseattle
    Nov 8, 2006
      Hi Sharani,

      Thanks! I did follow the link, and enjoyed the photos immensely.
      *Now* I can picture it. And the eggs were all on the floor!

      I also enjoyed the fall photos. What a surprise to see Bishop
      Orchards (Guilford, CT)! It was an annual autumn destination of my
      childhood. As was Hilltop Orchards, just west of Bishop. I grew up
      very close to there, just off rte 1, on the eastern side of
      Branford. I am glad to know the orchards are still there, after all
      these decades, and have not fallen the way of sprawl.

      I will answer your question about Sri Chinmoy's visit to Seattle in
      reply to Nayak's post! (Yes, it was very heavenly!)

      Thanks again for everything,
      Sarah
      Seattle

      > Hi Sarah,
      > If you follow this link to an article featured on the main page of
      the
      > Sri Chinmoy Centres website, you can see a couple of photos.
      > http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/FrontPage/members-pages/egg_record
      >
      > The raw eggs all had to be balanced on end individually. There was
      no
      > time cutoff for how long it could take to achieve the record.
      > Occasionally a random egg might topple over but then he was
      allowed to
      > put it back upright. Amazingly, that hardly even happened so once
      he
      > reached 700 eggs and decided to stop (already having passed the old
      > record back at 420) the eggs that he had balanced twelve hours
      earlier
      > still stood up. Or to be completely precise such was the case at
      the
      > time that I left for the hospital about 1 1/2 hours before he
      > finished. At that time, he had completed about 520 eggs.
      >
      > He arranged them in squares of 50 each to make it easier to keep
      track
      > and kept aisles in between the blocks of 50 in case he had to get
      back
      > over to one and re-do it. It really did look like a performance art
      > piece so its location of RISD was truly fitting.
      >
      > I did take lots of photos and had promised to post them once I
      > recovered from my tumble off a chair while shooting pictures of the
      > record. Life is moving along full steam ahead so I cannot promise a
      > full photo album of the day any time soon. I did add one photo to
      my
      > blog entry about it to join one taken by Salil.
      >
      > As for fall pictures, I'm not sure if I already mentioned them but
      > twice I took some photos at an apple orchard in Guilford, Ct. and a
      > few more around near where I work. Check out this shortcut to my
      > gallery albums: http://tinyurl.com/d4pak and browse the first two
      > albums - Dartmouth and Rhode Island.
      >
      > Sharani
      > p.s. You must have delighted in Sri Chinmoy's recent visit to
      Seattle!

      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Sharani!
      > >
      > > What a fun couple of posts. I have been having trouble
      picturing
      > > this. So each egg has to balance upright individually? Do they
      > > keep toppling over once he has balanced them or do they pretty
      much
      > > stay upright? They are not touching eachother in any way? How
      are
      > > they laid out?
      > >
      > > I am going to go try balancing one egg right now.
      > >
      > > I am sure you will be treating us to some photos soon! (Which
      > > reminds me, any new foliage shots?)
      > >
      > > Love,
      > > Sarah
      > >

      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sharani_sharani
      > > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Everybody,
      > > >
      > > > Ashrita broke the record by balancing 700 raw eggs
      simultaneously -
      > > > feat that took slightly more than 12 hours to achieve.
      Witnessing
      > > this
      > > > record was really something to behold! His concentration was
      > > > unflagging and he never even really took any breaks except to
      be
      > > > interviewed by the local ABC and NBC television news, both of
      which
      > > > gave in-depth and excellent coverage of the event.
      > > >
      > > > Even if he stopped to take a few bites of a sandwich, he was
      almost
      > > > instantly back down crouched or kneeling on the floor to
      balance
      > > more
      > > > eggs. He commented that he really enjoyed it, that the eggs
      looked
      > > > beautiful (it really was like a performance art piece) and
      that at
      > > > times it was also sincerely difficult. He averaged about one
      egg
      > > > balanced per minute but some eggs alighted upright very
      quickly and
      > > > others took a much longer time to balance.
      > > >
      > > > Apparently I didn't find enough oneness with the whole
      happening
      > > just
      > > > in writing about it and taking photos. I ended up with a goose
      egg
      > > of
      > > > my own on the back of my head when the chair I stood on while
      > > taking
      > > > photos slipped out from under me. I just feel infinitely
      grateful
      > > that
      > > > I survived the fall with nothing more than a bruised head and
      > > elbow,
      > > > along with several hours in the hospital buoyed by the tangible
      > > > feeling of sympathetic inner divine support. Once I'm further
      > > along in
      > > > feeling better, I will share some of the photos that I took
      with my
      > > > camera that is miraculously unbroken.
      > > >
      > > > Congratulations Ashrita!
      > > > Sharani