19092Re: Live from RISD with Ashrita's Latest Record Attempt

  • sarah_inseattle
    Nov 2, 2006
      Hi Sharani!

      What a fun couple of posts. I have been having trouble picturing
      this. So each egg has to balance upright individually? Do they
      keep toppling over once he has balanced them or do they pretty much
      stay upright? They are not touching eachother in any way? How are
      they laid out?

      I am going to go try balancing one egg right now.

      I am sure you will be treating us to some photos soon! (Which
      reminds me, any new foliage shots?)

      Love,
      Sarah

      > Hi Everybody,
      >
      > Ashrita broke the record by balancing 700 raw eggs simultaneously -
      > feat that took slightly more than 12 hours to achieve. Witnessing
      this
      > record was really something to behold! His concentration was
      > unflagging and he never even really took any breaks except to be
      > interviewed by the local ABC and NBC television news, both of which
      > gave in-depth and excellent coverage of the event.
      >
      > Even if he stopped to take a few bites of a sandwich, he was almost
      > instantly back down crouched or kneeling on the floor to balance
      more
      > eggs. He commented that he really enjoyed it, that the eggs looked
      > beautiful (it really was like a performance art piece) and that at
      > times it was also sincerely difficult. He averaged about one egg
      > balanced per minute but some eggs alighted upright very quickly and
      > others took a much longer time to balance.
      >
      > Apparently I didn't find enough oneness with the whole happening
      just
      > in writing about it and taking photos. I ended up with a goose egg
      of
      > my own on the back of my head when the chair I stood on while
      taking
      > photos slipped out from under me. I just feel infinitely grateful
      that
      > I survived the fall with nothing more than a bruised head and
      elbow,
      > along with several hours in the hospital buoyed by the tangible
      > feeling of sympathetic inner divine support. Once I'm further
      along in
      > feeling better, I will share some of the photos that I took with my
      > camera that is miraculously unbroken.
      >
      > Congratulations Ashrita!
      > Sharani

      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm writing to you from a wireless connection on a laptop at the
      > > Rhode Island School of Design in Providence where Ashrita is
      > > attempting to set a new world record for simultaneously
      balancing
      > > eggs. He is here at the Rhode Island School of Design in the
      Metcalf
      > > Lecture Hall above the Design Store.
      > >
      > > He was inspired to do it at RISD because he sees it as a type of
      > > performance art. The current record is 420 eggs.
      > >
      > > From the Press Release:
      > >
      > > "Over the last 25 years, Ashrita, the holder of the most
      Guinness
      > > records, has set or beaten a total of 119 records in numerous
      > > categories. Ashrita's records usually involve a physical
      challenge
      > > such as somersaulting the greatest distance (12 miles) or doing
      the
      > > most abdominal crunches in one hour (9,628) but in the case of
      the
      > > egg record, concentration will be the key. Ashrita expects the
      > > record attempt to take anywhere from 5 to 7 hours. Needless to
      say
      > > everyone in the room will be walking on eggshells until the
      record
      > > is broken!"
      > >
      > > He recently set a record in Connecticut for upside down
      juggling.
      > > You can read an article about it at the Conn. Post newspaper
      site:
      > > http://www.connpost.com/news/ci_4521747
      > >
      > > Stay tuned!
      > > Sharani