19070Re: Live from RISD with Ashrita's Latest Record Attempt

    Oct 30, 2006
      Hi Everybody,

      Ashrita broke the record by balancing 700 raw eggs simultaneously - a
      feat that took slightly more than 12 hours to achieve. Witnessing this
      record was really something to behold! His concentration was
      unflagging and he never even really took any breaks except to be
      interviewed by the local ABC and NBC television news, both of which
      gave in-depth and excellent coverage of the event.

      Even if he stopped to take a few bites of a sandwich, he was almost
      instantly back down crouched or kneeling on the floor to balance more
      eggs. He commented that he really enjoyed it, that the eggs looked
      beautiful (it really was like a performance art piece) and that at
      times it was also sincerely difficult. He averaged about one egg
      balanced per minute but some eggs alighted upright very quickly and
      others took a much longer time to balance.

      Apparently I didn't find enough oneness with the whole happening just
      in writing about it and taking photos. I ended up with a goose egg of
      my own on the back of my head when the chair I stood on while taking
      photos slipped out from under me. I just feel infinitely grateful that
      I survived the fall with nothing more than a bruised head and elbow,
      along with several hours in the hospital buoyed by the tangible
      feeling of sympathetic inner divine support. Once I'm further along in
      feeling better, I will share some of the photos that I took with my
      camera that is miraculously unbroken.

      Congratulations Ashrita!

      > I'm writing to you from a wireless connection on a laptop at the
      > Rhode Island School of Design in Providence where Ashrita is
      > attempting to set a new world record for simultaneously balancing
      > eggs. He is here at the Rhode Island School of Design in the Metcalf
      > Lecture Hall above the Design Store.
      >
      > He was inspired to do it at RISD because he sees it as a type of
      > performance art. The current record is 420 eggs.
      >
      > From the Press Release:
      >
      > "Over the last 25 years, Ashrita, the holder of the most Guinness
      > records, has set or beaten a total of 119 records in numerous
      > categories. Ashrita's records usually involve a physical challenge
      > such as somersaulting the greatest distance (12 miles) or doing the
      > most abdominal crunches in one hour (9,628) but in the case of the
      > egg record, concentration will be the key. Ashrita expects the
      > record attempt to take anywhere from 5 to 7 hours. Needless to say
      > everyone in the room will be walking on eggshells until the record
      > is broken!"
      >
      > He recently set a record in Connecticut for upside down juggling.
      > You can read an article about it at the Conn. Post newspaper site:
      > http://www.connpost.com/news/ci_4521747
      >
      > Stay tuned!
      > Sharani

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic