16560Re: prairie winter, and how I came to the path

  • niriha7
    Feb 1, 2006
      Dear Purnakama,

      You wrote: ". . .as wonderful as the TV series was, the books always
      held more magic." This is why the recommendation, "Don't judge a book
      by its movie" (in this case TV series)deserves some consideration. :-)

      ^ ^
      & &
      \_/

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, purnakama2000
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Hi Sarah,
      >
      > I devoured the Little House on the prairie books as a child, reading
      > each one about 5 times at least. Then of course I became addicted to
      > the TV show, but as wonderful as the TV series was, the books always
      > held more magic.
      >
      > As for Flin Flon, it's a really cute story. In the early days of
      > mining up there, a novel was found in one of the mines. It wasn't a
      > great novel so I'm told, but the main character was a miner named
      > Flintabatty Flonatin. Quite a mouthful eh? They decided to shorten
      > The name to Flin Flon, and name the newly formed town after it.
      > At the entrance to the town there is a large cartoon like statue of
      > Flintabatty Flonatin that was designed by cartoonist AL Capp.
      >
      > So now you know the whole story :)
      >
      > If you're interested, there's a wonderful book called "If You're Not
      > From the Prairie" which is sort of a long poem about living on the
      > prairie, with incredible illustrations. I'm sure that you can find it
      > online somewhere.
      >
      > Smiles,
      >
      > Purnakama
      >
      > PS I spent 4 glorious years of my life living in Victoria BC, so I
      > also know the matchless beauty of your part of the country:) I even
      > took the clipper to Seattle once on a very stormy night. That's one
      > experience I won't soon forget :)
      >
      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Purnakama,
      > >
      > > Thank you for this very beautiful story. It gives me chills, to
      > > think of you finding and picking up *Garden of the Soul* in
      > > Saskatoon (such a remote place!) and then two weeks later finding a
      > > free meditation class by students of the author in Winnipeg...!
      > >
      > > I also love your prairie decriptions. Have you ever read any of
      > the
      > > Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House" books? I am reminded of them
      > > when I read your posts. Espceially *The Long, Long Winter* and
      > > *House at Silver Lake.*
      > >
      > > I cannot imagine what a town 9 hours of Winnipeg might be like.
      > Can
      > > you tell us more about Flin Flan? And what is the origin of the
      > > name?
      > >
      > > Gratitude,
      > > Sarah
      > >

      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, purnakama2000
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > As I was looking at my winter photos again, it really got me
      > > > thinking about my life, how I ended up in this strange flat
      > > place ,
      > > > and how much I have come to love and cherish it.
      > > >
      > > > I was not born on the prairies. I grew up in Kitchener
      > (originally
      > > > called Little Berlin), a fairly large city close to Toronto which
      > > > was the hub of industry.Our house was situated somewhere between
      > > > brewery and a rubber tire factory. The stench in the summer was
      > > > something to behold.

> [...]
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic