16470Re: prairie winter, and how I came to the path

  • purnakama2000
    Jan 24, 2006
      Hi Sarah,

      I devoured the Little House on the prairie books as a child, reading
      each one about 5 times at least. Then of course I became addicted to
      the TV show, but as wonderful as the TV series was, the books always
      held more magic.

      As for Flin Flon, it's a really cute story. In the early days of
      mining up there, a novel was found in one of the mines. It wasn't a
      great novel so I'm told, but the main character was a miner named
      Flintabatty Flonatin. Quite a mouthful eh? They decided to shorten
      The name to Flin Flon, and name the newly formed town after it.
      At the entrance to the town there is a large cartoon like statue of
      Flintabatty Flonatin that was designed by cartoonist AL Capp.

      So now you know the whole story :)

      If you're interested, there's a wonderful book called "If You're Not
      From the Prairie" which is sort of a long poem about living on the
      prairie, with incredible illustrations. I'm sure that you can find it
      online somewhere.

      Smiles,

      Purnakama

      PS I spent 4 glorious years of my life living in Victoria BC, so I
      also know the matchless beauty of your part of the country:) I even
      took the clipper to Seattle once on a very stormy night. That's one
      experience I won't soon forget :)

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Purnakama,
      >
      > Thank you for this very beautiful story. It gives me chills, to
      > think of you finding and picking up *Garden of the Soul* in
      > Saskatoon (such a remote place!) and then two weeks later finding a
      > free meditation class by students of the author in Winnipeg...!
      >
      > I also love your prairie decriptions. Have you ever read any of
      the
      > Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House" books? I am reminded of them
      > when I read your posts. Espceially *The Long, Long Winter* and
      > *House at Silver Lake.*
      >
      > I cannot imagine what a town 9 hours of Winnipeg might be like.
      Can
> [...]
      > huge
      > > change was imminent, but I did not know what.
      > >
      > > I was content, but I began to realize that I was not really
      happy.
      > > had a great job, great friends,and time and money to travel, but
      > > could not get rid of this feeling that there had to be something
      > > more;some piece of the puzzle that I was missing.
      > > It often left me feeling empty and confused.
      > >
      > > My one solace was taking trips to Saskatoon, the nearest city, to
      > > scour the bookstores for anything spiritual. I was starving, and
      > > those trips managed to stave off my hunger for awhile.
      > >
      > > I remember my last trip to Saskatoon very well. It was about 3
      > weeks
      > > before I moved to Winnipeg. Just prior to my making that trip, I
      > had
      > > an inner crisis, and I remeber lying on my living room floor,
      > > crying, begging the Supreme to show me the way. I felt scared and
      > > alone, but I had a deep inner knowing that the answer was out
      > > there,so close I could almost touch it. I just had to find it.
      > >
      > > While in Saskatoon on that last trip, I went into a bookstore,
      > > desperately looking for anything that would heal my inner pain.
      > > After much searching I found a book that appealed to me. I chose
      > it
      > > because it had nice title, and I liked the picture of the
      > author.It
      > > sounds like a crazy way to choose a book, but it called to me.
      > >
      > > It was Garden of the Soul by Sri Chinmoy. I remember looking for
      > > more books by him in the store, but there were none.Of course at
      > > that time, I had never heard of Sri Chinmoy or what he was about,
      > > and I also had no idea how soon I would find out just exactly who
      > he
      > > was.
      > >
      > > I had been living in Winnipeg for about 2 weeks when I saw a
      > poster
      > > for a free meditation course. One of my goals when I moved to
      > > Winnipeg was to learn to meditate, and this course was within my
      > > budget, so I went. I realized quickly at the course that the book
      > > had bought 5 weeks earlier was by the same man that the person
      who
      > > was teaching the class had been telling us about. I knew that
      this
      > > was no coincidence, and the rest, as they say is history.
      > > 8 years later, I am now giving classes in the very room that I
      > found
      > > my freedom.
      > > A room in the middle of the prairies where I never dreamed I'd be.
      > >
      > > I have come to love the prairies.
      > > Their vastness feeds me.
      > > They allow me to be empty;silent; still.
      > > Nothing obstructs the free flow of light and space.
      > > All anxieties get tossed into the prairie gales, on infinity's
      > wing.
      > > I am free to sit in the midst of the silence,and be.
      > >

      > > All gratitude to Sri Chinmoy, for being the lighthouse that

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic