15207Re: Can't stop running...Sunanda's 50k and my 6 hour race

  • viddyut82
    Oct 2, 2005
      There is a group called Pacific Coast Trail Runs at:
      www.pacifictrailruns.com. There aren't many pictures, but they put
      on some of the best trail runs in California, about once a month.
      The race that Tsvetan mentioned that Dean Karnazes did is
      called 'Western States 100'. Its a very famous and difficult race
      where your on a trail in the middle of the night and you have to
      cross rivers and such. Christopher, did you come to the Centre in
      SF? I'm not sure I can remember...

      Viddyut San Francisco

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, christopher_aus
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Hearing about Sunanda's 50k race up and down Mount Diablo reminded
      me
      > of the wonderful time I visited San Francisco about 7 years ago.
      Such
      > beautiful scenery! I would love to go back one day and run this
      race.
      > Thinking back to some of the other scenery I enjoyed around San
      Fran
      > (Muir woods, Stinson beach- that's all the names i can remember)
      is so
      > inspiring. Are there some pictures of the Mt Diablo race somewhere
      online?

      > Christopher, Melbourne
      >

      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, viddyut82
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > Just this saturday(9/24), Sunanda embarked on a most
      > > difficult journey: a 50k race up and down Mount Diablo in the
      East
      > > Bay Area of California. With 8,900 feet of elevation gain, this
      run
      > > is no joke. She won the womens event in a time of 7:07.
      Exhausted,
      > > she came to work and was waiting tables within 2 hours of
      finishing
      > > her race. We are all extremely proud her here in San
      Francisco. I
      > > wish I could say more, but those of you who know her also know
      how
      > > quiet she is!
      > >
      > > On Sunday, I ran a six hour race in Golden Gate Park around
      > > a .788 mile loop. It was a beautiful sunny day, almost too much
      so
      > > for running. I secretly harbored the desire to run 40 miles,
      but I
      > > fell short and finished with 38 miles. I split for the marathon
      was
      > > 3:54, a little bit faster than my time in NY. But I knew it was
      too
      > > fast. I knew that I wouldn't be able to hold on to that pace,
      but I
      > > still held on closely. Some of the runners were familiar with
      the
      > > Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team, especially this one older couple who
      had
      > > run the Harmony Run and many of our Foster City Marathons.
      Every
      > > time I passed the old man he would say 'Go Chinmoy! Go Chinmoy!'
      > > Such childlike affection he was showing me! I was wearing the
      > > Canberra Traithlon shirt, so many people asked me if I was from
      > > Australia or if I was a triathlete.
      > >
      > > A race, for me, is a time to intensify my outer life and
      my
      > > inner life. The outer life needs constant dedication,
      discipline,
      > > and focus, while the inner life needs one-pointed aspiration and
      > > concentration(at least for me). This intensity should not be
      > > mental. To be tense and intense are two totally different
      things.
      > > Cheerfulness has its own intensity as well, which is something I
      try
      > > to cultivate while running.
      > >
      > > I finished in 5th place, and I am grateful, very grateful
      for
      > > this running experience!
      > >
      > > P.S. Anyone who likes doing a lot of races, San Francisco has a
      > > lot! Especially trail races. Every week there are races in the
      > > city or in the trails not too far from the city. Its really a
      lot
      > > of fun.
      > >
      > > Viddyut
      > > San Francisco