14372confidence I need you

  • bernice131313
    Jul 31, 2005
      It's hard to maintain confidence in ourselves when we are subject to
      others criticisms. When that somebody is someone we look up to, it
      is perhaps the most hurtful. This issue has been an ongoing one for
      me this year, surfacing in different circumstances with a variety of
      participants. I have so much to learn in this area and I'm certainly
      guilty of dishing out criticism myself.

      Sri Chinmoy's writings contain abundant material on the topic and I
      thought I'd copy some of the things that I've found valuable.

      Criticism takes away
      The very life-breath
      Of our peace-heart.

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/peace-god-heart-home/part1/32.html

      To avoid criticism,
      I do nothing.
      To avoid misunderstanding,
      I say nothing.
      To avoid competition,
      I become nothing.

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-wings-light/part2/29.html

      If criticism frightens your heart,
      Then praise, without fails
      Will weaken-your life.

      http://tinyurl.com/87wzy

      Question: How can I not criticise others and what can I do when
      others criticise me? Sometimes I get very mad. 154

      Sri Chinmoy: When somebody criticises you, think of that person as an
      insect or worm and feel that you are the strongest and largest
      elephant. Since you are larger than the largest, you do not have to
      pay any attention to a little insect or worm. Vivekananda used to say
      that the elephant is going to the market for bananas and the dogs are
      barking. The elephant does not pay any attention to the dogs; he just
      goes to the market and eats bananas to his heart's content. So when
      others criticise you, you have to convince yourself that you are
      infinitely stronger than the criticism that you are getting. 155

      When you are inspired to criticise someone, immediately feel that
      what is disturbing you in the other person is some weakness that he
      has. Feel that the wrong thing that he or she is doing arises out of
      some deplorable weakness. Then try to feel that your criticism of the
      other person is only increasing his weakness and making it worse. 156

      Also, you have to feel that your criticism is causing all kinds of
      ailments inside the other person. Then try to pull these ailments
      into your own system-into your hands or legs or head. Immediately you
      will say, "My God, it is so painful, so painful!" Then you will see
      how much suffering you are causing that person. Or imagine that your
      words of criticism are like an arrow that you have hurled at the
      other person, and now his entire being is bleeding. When you see him
      bleeding, your sympathetic oneness will make you feel miserable. It
      is the same kind of sympathetic oneness that Lord Buddha felt when he
      picked up the bird that had been wounded with an arrow. 157

      When you identify yourself with the other person's suffering, you
      will feel, "No matter how imperfect and useless he is, I have no
      right to cause this kind of suffering in him. I have come into the
      world to establish my oneness with others and not to destroy others
      with my criticism." Then your heart of oneness will make you stop
      criticising the other person. These ideas I am giving you are very
      practical. 158

      Another thing you can do is to feel that your criticism of the other
      person, which you are cherishing in your being, is a very heavy load.
      Also, the other person's criticism of you is another heavy load that
      that person has thrust upon you. How can you move or even breathe if
      you are carrying two heavy loads on your shoulders? What you have to
      do is get rid of both loads. You have to cast them aside so that you
      can run the fastest towards your destination. 159

      Here is still another way. Each time you criticise someone, feel that
      you have created a black spot on the moon of his heart. By
      diminishing the beauty of his heart's inner moon, you can never get
      real joy. Also, you have to feel that if you criticise him, he also
      will criticise you and ruin the beauty of your inner moon. By
      destroying one another's inner beauty, neither one of you can be
      happy. So you have to feel that your happiness can come only with the
      other person's happiness; it has to be simultaneous. If you do not
      darken his moon, he will not darken yours, and both of you will be
      happy.

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-answers/part7/56.html

      Never compromise,
      Never compromise,
      Even if you are under severe criticism.

      http://tinyurl.com/9qyjb

      To conclude, I really like this extract from Sri Chinmoy's
      book "Music - Ecstasy's Heart Hunger" about Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart-

      If you can remain unaffected, either when you are thrown into the
      abysmal abyss or when you are extolled to the skies, then you can
      achieve and offer something divinely great and supremely good. When
      the composer closes his eyes and ears to the world while composing,
      his inner eyes and inner ears see Heaven's beauty and hear Heaven's
      messages. Then he is unquestionably entitled to be in the galaxy of
      the Immortals.

      As Mozart writes to his father, "I pay no attention whatever to
      anybody's praise or blame....I simply follow my own feelings."

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/music-ecstasy-heart-hunger/12.html
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic