13719Re: To Palyati - Wild in Wildlife

  • palyati
    Jun 29, 2005
      You now understand the wild in wildlife. Swans, as you now realize,
      are very aggressive, especially when guarding their brood. Another
      thing to consider is that if you are going to feed wildlife, try to
      find something that is closer to their natural nutrition. Bread is
      definitely not good for birds, however they don't know enough not to
      eat it.

      Great story. It made me laugh because I knew what it was going to
      lead to. Cob attack! Did you miss my story about the trumpeter cob
      turning a bull moose around?

      Palyati

> [...]
      hot
      > summer day. Then I went to the tiny pond and no swans or cygnets to
      be
      > seen! When it comes to finding them, I'm pretty stubborn so I
      started
      > walking through the woods along a nearby larger pond which led out
      the
      > ocean and another pond which was alongside that portion of the 30
      mile
      > long bike path. I think I walked for nearly two hours. I saw ducks
      > crossing the road again, an egret and a few adult swans in the
      > distance, but no cygnets anywhere.
      >
      > Finally, I decided it was time to go home. Seeing that this area is
      > still mostly unfamiliar to me, I decided to head in the right
      > direction down a different road than I had arrived on. Just a short
      > distance up that road, there was another pond with a swan family
      > including two cygnets. I was practically a stone's throw away from
      > them when I first came looking that morning, but who knew? I felt as
      > if I was getting another reminder to never give up! Cygnets at last
      > and of course much bigger than the ones from a month ago.
      >
      > As it was now rather hot and a long time since breakfast, I parked
      the
      > car and brought my camera and a Luna bar (energy bar) to stave off
      my
      > hunger. The adult male seemed to have "food" radar and came quickly
      > over to me. Thinking of the book I'd been reading, I shared my Luna
      > bar with the swan. Maybe needless to say to those more experienced
      > than me, this brought him out of the water and practically knocking
      me
      > over. He seemed to adore this sweet food. But how could I get the
      > mother swan and the cygnets to come over? They were at a good
      distance
      > and seemed oblivious to my adventure with their Dad. And a Luna bar
      > isn't very much food. Remembering Pavitrata's words of advice some
      > time back "bring bread," I decided to leave, buy bread and come
      back.

      > When I got back, I felt like I was trying to juggle several
      challenges
      > at once. The huge male swan insisted on staying close by and I had
      > constantly throw him little pieces of food to keep him from
      accosting
      > me. Mom and the cygnets came over but stayed more in the water. I
      > would throw bread and while the Dad was eating it, I would try to
      > sneak in a few photos. It was hard work and not so charming. If I
      > threw the bread a further distance to keep the swan from being on
      top
      > of me, he wouldn't see it. So I would try to slowly throw it farther
      > and farther away. The photos were pretty haphazard. Throw several
      > fairly large turtles with red and yellow markings into the recipe,
      and
      > I felt I had a taste of the "wild" in "wildlife" that day.
      Amazingly,
      > even before I realized that the bread was nearly gone, the male swan
      > seemed to already know it. He headed towards the water at last and
      > right after that I felt in the paper bag that the food was gone.
      Maybe
      > this is like some kind of sixth sense in the food world!
      >
      > Once I finish getting my new :-) computer set up, I'll add photos of
      > this adventure to my gallery album. In the meantime, I'm thinking,
      > "Pavitrata you should have warned me!! :-)"
      >
      > Sharani
      >
      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, palyati
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > Thanks, Sharani. I have decided to post some of my train
      > experiences.
      > > It appears there is interest in hearing the stories. Mother
      Nature
      > > has been very good to us in Alaska.
      > >
      > > She can be also be harsh. You mentioned bear killings. An
      Anchorage
      > > couple was killed by a predatory brown bear in the Arctic
      National
      > > Wildlife Preserve (ANWR)yesterday. They were experienced in
      camping
      > > and did everything right to protect themselves, but the bear
      > attacked
      > > without provocation. They were asleep in their tents. The key
      > phrase
      > > in wildlife is "wild".
      > >
      > > Palyati
      > >
      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sharani_sharani
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > > Hi Palyati,
      > > >
      > > > I do enjoy hearing from you here. I can picture you on the
      train,
      > > eyes
      > > > closed, then open and smiling. What a nice story! I'm grateful
      > for
      > > the
      > > > moments you must be squeezing in to keep up with us given your
      > > current
      > > > schedule.
      > > >
      > > > You have my terrific encouragement for pursuing an Alaska
      album! I
      > > > practically stumbled upon my first digital camera and it really
      > > wasn't
      > > > expensive for what it can do. If you want it and put the
      > intention
      > > out
      > > > to the universe, I'm sure it will unfold perfectly.
      > > >
      > > > Since I know all the class givers that came up to Alaska, it
      > really
      > > > lends a "family" aura for me of your story of coming to this
      > path.
      > > Now
      > > > I am remembering having occasion to talk about Alaska with
      Jamini
      > in
      > > > the context of another project some time back. You would be
      worth
      > > > trip to the North Pole of course!
      > > >
      > > > Sharani
      > > >

      > > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, palyati