13698To Palyati - Wild in Wildlife

    Jun 28, 2005
      Oh boy! Alaska stories. Yes indeed there is interest in hearing the
      stories. I am in the middle of reading a fascinating book about a man
      who befriended wild parrots in San Francisco which apparently has just
      come out as a documentary film as well. I doubt I would ever come
      across these interesting tidbits if it weren't for my job. Yes, it's
      another new addition to the library collection which I hijacked to
      read :-) Because he eventually has the wild parrots eating out of his
      hands and landing on his head, etc., I became more inclined to try my
      first feeding of the swans.

      I didn't set out to feed the swans, just to look for the cygnets that
      I had photographed about a month ago. My day started with breakfast at
      the ocean. If you get to the nearby town beach before 9 a.m., you
      don't have to have a resident beach sticker to get in. The day was
      supposed to be a scorcher so it seemed the right place to begin a hot
      summer day. Then I went to the tiny pond and no swans or cygnets to be
      seen! When it comes to finding them, I'm pretty stubborn so I started
      walking through the woods along a nearby larger pond which led out the
      ocean and another pond which was alongside that portion of the 30 mile
      long bike path. I think I walked for nearly two hours. I saw ducks
      crossing the road again, an egret and a few adult swans in the
      distance, but no cygnets anywhere.

      Finally, I decided it was time to go home. Seeing that this area is
      still mostly unfamiliar to me, I decided to head in the right
      direction down a different road than I had arrived on. Just a short
      distance up that road, there was another pond with a swan family
      including two cygnets. I was practically a stone's throw away from
      them when I first came looking that morning, but who knew? I felt as
      if I was getting another reminder to never give up! Cygnets at last
      and of course much bigger than the ones from a month ago.

      As it was now rather hot and a long time since breakfast, I parked the
      car and brought my camera and a Luna bar (energy bar) to stave off my
      hunger. The adult male seemed to have "food" radar and came quickly
      over to me. Thinking of the book I'd been reading, I shared my Luna
      bar with the swan. Maybe needless to say to those more experienced
      than me, this brought him out of the water and practically knocking me
      over. He seemed to adore this sweet food. But how could I get the
      mother swan and the cygnets to come over? They were at a good distance
      and seemed oblivious to my adventure with their Dad. And a Luna bar
      isn't very much food. Remembering Pavitrata's words of advice some
      time back "bring bread," I decided to leave, buy bread and come back.

      When I got back, I felt like I was trying to juggle several challenges
      at once. The huge male swan insisted on staying close by and I had to
      constantly throw him little pieces of food to keep him from accosting
      me. Mom and the cygnets came over but stayed more in the water. I
      would throw bread and while the Dad was eating it, I would try to
      sneak in a few photos. It was hard work and not so charming. If I
      threw the bread a further distance to keep the swan from being on top
      of me, he wouldn't see it. So I would try to slowly throw it farther
      and farther away. The photos were pretty haphazard. Throw several
      fairly large turtles with red and yellow markings into the recipe, and
      I felt I had a taste of the "wild" in "wildlife" that day. Amazingly,
      even before I realized that the bread was nearly gone, the male swan
      seemed to already know it. He headed towards the water at last and
      right after that I felt in the paper bag that the food was gone. Maybe
      this is like some kind of sixth sense in the food world!

      Once I finish getting my new :-) computer set up, I'll add photos of
      this adventure to my gallery album. In the meantime, I'm thinking,
      "Pavitrata you should have warned me!! :-)"

      Sharani

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, palyati
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Thanks, Sharani. I have decided to post some of my train
      experiences.
      > It appears there is interest in hearing the stories. Mother Nature
      > has been very good to us in Alaska.
      >
      > She can be also be harsh. You mentioned bear killings. An Anchorage
      > couple was killed by a predatory brown bear in the Arctic National
      > Wildlife Preserve (ANWR)yesterday. They were experienced in camping
      > and did everything right to protect themselves, but the bear
      attacked
      > without provocation. They were asleep in their tents. The key
      phrase
      > in wildlife is "wild".
      >
      > Palyati

      > > Hi Palyati,
      > >
      > > I do enjoy hearing from you here. I can picture you on the train,
      > eyes
      > > closed, then open and smiling. What a nice story! I'm grateful
      for
      > the
      > > moments you must be squeezing in to keep up with us given your
      > current
      > > schedule.
      > >
      > > You have my terrific encouragement for pursuing an Alaska album! I
      > > practically stumbled upon my first digital camera and it really
      > wasn't
      > > expensive for what it can do. If you want it and put the
      intention
      > out
      > > to the universe, I'm sure it will unfold perfectly.
      > >
      > > Since I know all the class givers that came up to Alaska, it
      really
      > > lends a "family" aura for me of your story of coming to this
      path.
      > Now
      > > I am remembering having occasion to talk about Alaska with Jamini
      in
      > > the context of another project some time back. You would be worth
      > > trip to the North Pole of course!
      > >
      > > Sharani
      > >

      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, palyati
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > > A close encounter of the deer kind. It's always nice to see
      > wildlife.
      > > >
      > > > Speaking of close encounters, a few days ago I became aware
      that
      > the
      > > > engineer was blowing the horn repeatedly in an unusual spot.
      When
      > you
      > > > hear the horn as much as we do, it almost becomes inaudible. I
      > looked
      > > > out to see a mama moose and her baby scampering away from the
      > tracks.
      > > > After I realized they were the reason for the horn, I leaned
      back
      > and
      > > > closed my eyes to give gratitude. A guest came up the stairs
      and
      > > > asked, "Are you sleeping?" Her friend actually said "Heavens,
      no.
      > > > She's meditating." All I could do was open my eyes and smile.
      > > >
      > > > I do take photographs but many encounters are very quick
      because
      > of
      > > > the speed of the train. I also need to buy a different camera.
      > That's
      > > > probably the biggest drawback. Perhaps I should attempt an
      Alaska
      > > > album.
      > > >
      > > > My story of becoming a disciple is not that exciting or exotic.
      > had
      > > > been seeking after reading the classic, "Autobiography of a
      Yogi"
      > and
      > > > had been meditating daily for well over a year. At least I
      > thought I
      > > > was, but wasn't sure as I taught myself. So when I saw a
      workshop
      > for
      > > > free meditation classes, I figured I'd find out. Nayak, Jamini,
      > > > Jagrata, and Sunamita came up to Anchorage, one every two weeks
      > in
      > > > the summer of 1990 to give classes. In Nayak's first class, I
      was
      > > > sold and actually called him to find out how I could become a
      > > > student. Still can't imagine anyplace else I'd rather be.
      > > >
      > > > Palyati
      > > >

      > > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sharani_sharani
      > posts
      > moose!