11754To the AM and Sumangali

  • shane_dublincentre
    Apr 1, 2005
      Dear Sumangali and AM,

      No suitable expression of thanks to the pair of you for what you have
      done here had found its way to me yet, I'm relying it to pop out
      naturally of its own accord in the middle of the post somewhere....

      It is a little unfortunate that the pair of you went at the same time,
      but nobody plans these things. I think this group of posters is a
      transitory one by nature - if one clicks on messages twelve months
      later one finds completely different faces posting than those posting
      now. Maybe that's as it should be, that this group is a forum for
      people to find their wings of expression before moving on to greener
      pastures, or even to get out a few things they really badly needed to
      say before diving deep within again. (Sumangali, I do hope those
      greener pastures will include a wider audience for your work and way
      of expressing things.)

      The temptation is to imagine that with the loss of such an amazing
      moderator and one of our best posters, all is in danger of going
      pear-shaped...I have reason to think otherwise. Let me try to explain
      why.

      First of all, some might take the fact that there's only a dozen or so
      regular contributors as a sign of a group's fragility; I wouldn't. I
      had occasion to talk to another frequent poster to this group a few
      months ago, and she reckoned everyone in the group had their own
      niches that they occupied. Hence my interpretation would be that if a
      newcomer to the group had a very similar style to a long-time poster,
      he/she might say "Oh, he/she's doing that kind to thing already, and
      doing it much better." I wouldn't even try to put names on these
      niches, I only have a kind of subtle feeling about them, but I do know
      the room begins to get crowded after a dozen or so, and it becomes
      hard to find a new niche from which to express yourself comfortably.
      Of course, a group like this should aspire to facilitate different
      people writing from the same niche in a spirit of non-competitiveness,
      but our imperfect human nature being what it is... I can definitely
      think of a few people who have struggled to find their voice here
      despite their best of intentions.

      I'm not saying that now Sumangali's wandered off for a little bit
      there's going to be a horde of previously repressed would-be
      Sumangalis scrapping it out for the title of 'Handmaiden to Nature's
      Beauty'...I think I'm saying rather that with a change of AM, these
      niches might get juggled around a bit, and new people might find a
      comfortable arena in which to express themselves (conversely, some old
      timers might find it tough going... :) ).

      Anyway this niche thing is only a metaphor, but it encourages me to
      look at the changes here with optimism, whilst still appreciating the
      magnitude of the AM and Sumangali's contribution to the group over the
      past year. I'm looking forward to seeing the AM as an occasional
      poster - understandably, his writing talents were somewhat constrained
      to trying give direction to this group during his tenure as moderator,
      so it will be a wonderful thing if he can 'let rip', as they say.

      I think also it's worthwhile reminding people that this group has an
      audience considerably bigger than what most of us imagine it has, and
      that the group makes a daily difference to hundreds of people we will
      never even meet.

      Shane

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, srichinmoyinspiration
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Thank you all for the opportunity to be of some small service. The
      > past year has been a fantastic learning experience, one for which
      > I'm extremely grateful.
      >
      > Lately I've been feeling selfish for continuing to hold onto the
      > reins when there are so many other people with ideas for new
      > projects and new directions that the group might take. I've been
      > fortunate to be able to bring the group a short distance on its
      > journey. Now I feel the time is right to give others a chance to see
      > what they can do.
      >
      > Thanks to all of you who have made my time as assistant moderator a
      > very rewarding experience. It took me a while to let go, realizing
      > how much I will miss you all! Some of you have moved me far more
      > than you can imagine.
      >
      > The daily experience of signing on has added some spiritual
      > discipline to my life which would otherwise be lacking. I hope I can
      > find a way to continue that very positive influence - maybe as a
      > reader and occasional poster.
      >
      > As regular readers know, I've tried to make the board entertaining
      > and fun, with an emphasis on original articles written in a natural,
      > jargon-free style. I hope that tradition continues.
      >
      > I've also been very concerned about the problem of harassment of
      > spiritual groups which are harmless, benign, and have no history of
      > abuse. This has made me rather cautious, and I'd like to apologize
      > again to anyone I've offended by my heavy-handed style of
      > moderation. My intentions were always good. Now, as others bring new
      > dynamism and inspiration to the group, it's up to them to offer new
      > guidance. I have every confidence they will do a super job!
      >
      > Sri Chinmoy Centre has always been a small, sincere spiritual group.
      > Much of the general public doesn't know anything about this path,
      > and as I discussed in message #4413, there are people who
      > consciously and intentionally try and misrepresent Sri Chinmoy's
      > life and teachings. So one of the things we've been doing here
      > online - aside from sharing daily experiences, poetry and humor - is
      > introducing Sri Chinmoy's path to the general public.
      >
      > I'm very grateful that people responded to the call to bring out
      > their natural sincerity in discussing their own lives. I know I'm
      > not the only one concerned with communicating clearly and honestly.
      > One person wrote to me:
      >
      > "I am very, very proud of our disciples and feel very privileged to
      > belong to this community. It would be rare to come across another
      > group of people in this world who are so essentially good and have
      > such a strong spirit. But we are introverted. When we write it is
      > often as if we were writing our personal diaries. The language or
      > the concepts are not what is used by the rest of the world. We
      > punctuate our sentences with 'gratitudes' and like to discuss topics
      > such as 'eternal nows.' So now we have to train ourselves to think
      > what is it that interests the reader... [W]e hope that ... we may be
> [...]
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic