10615Re: OT - Names

  • anitabusic
    Feb 4 2:12 PM
      I have enjoyed the name stories immensely. And must add a few more
      to the collection.

      Croatians love to name their children after fruits, trees, flowers
      and other stuff. So, if born in Croatia, you might end up with a
      name like:

      Jagoda - Strawberry (female name)
      Visnja - Sour Cherry (female name)
      Biserka - Pearl (female name)
      Zora, Zorica - Dawn (female name)
      Zoran - Dawn (male name)
      Svjetlana - Light (female name)
      Svjetlan - Light (male name)
      Snje*ana - Snow White (female name)
      Jasenka - Ash Tree (female name)
      Jasen - Ase Tree (male name)
      Jasna - Clear (female name)
      Jelka - Fir Tree (female name)
      Svemir - Space but also All-Peace (male name)
      Tihomir - Silent Peace (male name)
      Hranimir - Feeding Peace (male name)
      Branimir - Defending Peace (male name)
      Vladimir - Governing Peace (male name)

      By adding an -a or a -ka to the end of the names, you get female
      names.

      Slava, Slavka, Slavica - Glory (female name)
      Vatroslav - Firey Glory (male name)
      Vladislav - Governing Glory (male name)

      By adding an -a, you get female names.

      Sanja - Dream (female name)
      Sre├Ęko - Lucky or Happy (male name)
      Mila, Milica - Sweet (female name)
      Ljubica - Violet (female name)
      Djurdjica - Lily of the Valley (female name)
      Ljiljana - Lily (female name)
      Dra*en, Dragan - Darling (male name)
      Dra*enka, Draga, Dragica - Darling (female name)
      Nada, Nadica - Hope (female name)
      Danica - Evening Star (female name)
      Zvjezdan - Star (male name)
      Zvjezdana - Star (female name)
      Danko - Day (male name)
      *eljko - Desire (male name)
      *eljka, *eljana - Desire(d) (female name)
      etc., etc., etc.

      I do believe all languages have such names. One just has to think of
      them and realise what they actually mean. I could go on endlessly
      with the list, but hey, even I find it a bit too much.

      Maybe other languages could offer the meanings of their common
      names, so that next time when we hear a name, we know its meaning?

      Anita

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Pavitrata, God has many messengers, doesn't He?
      >
      > I loved your story!
      >
      > Kamalakanta
      >

      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, pavitrata27
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi Hidde,
      > >
      > > I liked your posting.
      > >
      > > In my patchouli days I had far-out friends who named their two
      kids
      > > 'Space and Time'. It was surreal when they called them for
      supper:
      > > "Space,Time, leave your toys, come and eat!"
      > >
      > > I was in the supermarket today, the large checkout lady was
      beaming,
      > > not just at me, but at everyone. She asked me in her delightful
      > > sing-song Jamaican accent, "Well, how are you today, my dear?"
      > > Momentarily taken aback by being spoken to so sweetly in a busy
      > > inner-city checkout, I replied "Me! Er....tired....but....
      happy!"
      > > "Oh," she beamed,with a twinkling smile, "I have always been
      happy."
      > > Disbelief changed to a chuckle when I read her name tag, she was
      > > indeed called 'Happy'. "Have you children?" I said, "and are any
      of
      > > them also Happy?" "Yes, I have two, and we are all happy, but
      they are
      > > called Lucky and Grace. Why are you so happy?" she asked. I
      looked at
      > > the queue of bemused people listening to our conversation. I
      don't
      > > know where it came from, I have never used the expression
      before, but
      > > it was out before my cringing mind could stop it. I replied "I
      think
      > > God smiled at me today!" Well, my dear," said the Jamaican
      lady, "you
      > > are as happy as I am, and that is also why I am happy every day!
      We
      > > are happy for the same reason. God bless you."
      > >
      > > "And you!" I replied and left the store, my wincing mind
      shockingly
      > > embarrassed, cursing me for being so soppy, but my heart more
      than
      > > pleased!
      > >
      > > Pavitrata
      > >

      > > Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, hiddetangerman
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > "What's in a name?" Shakespeare wondered.
      > > >
      > > > Whole worlds, if you ask me.
      > > >
      > > > Yet this is not going to be a philosophical post, but rather an
      > > > amusing one.
      > > >
      > > > When I was in San Francisco I encountered a few names I will
      most
      > > > likely never forget. I love and I will always love San
      Francisco.
      > > > Once upon a time it was known as Hippyville, U.S.A, and many
      will
      > > > tell you it still is. Maybe that explains the nature of some of
      > > > people's first names down there.
      > > >
      > > > My favourite one was a woman called 'Holland.' You just can't
      go
      > > > wrong with a name like that.
      > > >
      > > > Then there were the more general seventies-born names
      like 'Summer'
      > > > and 'Sky.' But my favourite one in this category was a guy
      called
      > > > 'Seven' (I didn't leave out a 't').
      > > >
      > > > Number one in the category 'courage' was a young man by the
      name of
      > > > 'Kitten.' I don't know if that was his given name or something
      he
      > > > came up with himself, but for heaven's sake!
      > > >
      > > > Yet all names pale into insignificance when we put them next to
      > > > Frank Zappa's creations. Zappa, himself a Californian, had 5
      > > > children. They are called Gail, Dweezil, Ahmet, Diva and Moon
      Unit.
      > > > I'm not making this up.
      > > >
      > > > One must have respect for Frank Zappa's unbridled creative
      output.
      > > > But still... Moon Unit?
      > > >
      > > > Sounds more like an episode from 'Northern Exposure'.
      > > >

      > > > Your friend in name (only) ;-),
      > > >
      > > > Hidde
      > > > <`)
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic