rilasciata Fedora 17 beefy miracle

  • enzo_virgilio
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2012
      Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
      Tue May 29 14:01:30 UTC 2012

      "At the heat of a thousand hot dog cookers, the seventeenth release of
      Fedora shall be forged by contributors the world over, and it will be
      known as: Beefy Miracle. The mustard shall indicate progress.

      For six months, participants in the Fedora Project shall freely
      contribute to the release of the distribution, in the spirit of the Four
      Foundations -- Freedom, Friends, Features, and First -- and moreover,
      they shall relish in Fun, as a community without Fun would be like a day
      without sunshine.

      Upon release, a free and open source operating system shall be available
      to all, catering to a variety of tastes -- those of end-users, systems
      administrators, and developers, with a common thread that binds them
      all: No, not their love for hot dogs, silly, as we certainly know that
      Fedora shall be created and used by those whose dietary preference could
      be either Beefy or Leafy. Freedom, my friends, Freedom is the Great
      Condiment, which shall enable all users of the Beefy Miracle to Create,
      Share, and Do."

      -- The Book of Sauerkraut, Chapter 12, Verse 529

      The Beefy Miracle hath arrived. Behold, for it is available to download now:
      http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

      And lo, detailed information about this release can be seen in the
      release notes:
      http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/Release_Notes/

      == Condiments ==

      Frankly, we believe this is the beefiest release ever -- chock full of
      condiments, more commonly known as Features, to customize your
      experience to your tastes. We take pride in our toppings, and in our
      fine ingredients; Fedora 17 includes both over- and under-the-bun
      improvements that show off the power and flexibility of the advancing
      state of free (range) software.

      On the desktop: GNOME 3.4 introduces many user experience improvements,
      including new search capabilities in the activities overview, improved
      themes, and enhancements to the Documents and Contacts applications. A
      new application, GNOME-boxes, provides easy access to virtual machines.
      Additionally, GIMP 2.8, the newest version of the GNU Image
      Manipulation Program, brings new improvements, such as single-window
      mode, layer groups, and on-canvas editing.

      For developers: You never sausage a great array of development tools!
      Fedora 17 includes a pre-release of Juno, the release of the Eclipse
      SDK expected in June 2012. Java 7 (and OpenJDK 7) is the default Java
      runtime and Java build toolset, and GCC 4.7.x is now the primary
      compiler in Fedora. Other language refreshes include shipping Ruby
      1.9.3, the latest stable version of the Ruby language; PHP 5.4, the
      latest PHP stack; an update of Erlang to the R15 release; and the D
      language has been updated to the 2.058 release.

      Under the hood, and in the cloud: Serving up hot dogs all day long?
      Increase your reliability and versatility with the new enhancements to
      the clustering stack in Fedora 17. Load balancing and high availability
      improvements have been made, allowing systems administrators to deploy
      Fedora in environments requiring greater availability and clustered file
      systems. JBoss Application Server (AS) 7 has also been added to Fedora
      17; this fast, lightweight, and modular application server allows you to
      run full Java EE applications. oVirt, a server virtualization management
      system with advanced capabilities for hosts and guests, is also
      included. The automatic multi-seat feature enables multiple, concurrent
      end-users to utilize a desktop from a single machine, which any systems
      administrator can relish. And we couldn't possibly write this without
      talking about our foray into Hot Dogs as a Service (HDaaS)... oh, just
      kidding, we just had to make a cloudy joke. In all seriousness, though,
      OpenStack, a collection of services that can be used to set up and run
      cloud compute and storage infrastructure, has been updated to the latest
      release, 2012.1 (Essex), in Fedora 17.

      Ketchup with the full list of features for Fedora 17 here:

      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/17/FeatureList

      === Download and Upgrade ===

      Fedora 17: It's bun-believable. Get it now: http://get.fedoraproject.org

      If you are upgrading from a previous release of Fedora, refer to:

      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading

      Fedora 17 full release notes and guides for several languages are
      available at:

      http://docs.fedoraproject.org/

      Fedora 17 common bugs are documented at:
      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F17_bugs

      === Fedora Spins ===

      Fedora spins are alternate version of Fedora, tailored for various types
      of users via hand-picked application set or customizations. They can be
      found at:

      http://spins.fedoraproject.org

      == Contributing ==

      There are many ways to contribute beyond bug reporting. You can help
      translate software and content, test and give feedback on software
      updates, write and edit documentation, design and do artwork, help with
      all sorts of promotional activities, and package free software for use
      by millions of Fedora users worldwide. To get started, visit
      http://join.fedoraproject.org today!

      == Behold, the history of His Meatiness ==

      Who is this Beefy Miracle character? Ketchup on his history:

      http://beefymiracle.org/history.html

      == Contact information ==

      Journalists and reporters can find additional information at:

      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Press

      Cheers, and enjoy.

      -Robyn