ELSA DAR. N.E. Penna

  • flyer5_2000
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi I am trying to find a ultralight friendly DAR in the NE . I have
      my QS MXL 2 registered now I need a DAR . I called FAA they gave me 2
      names both over 4hrs away . I am just north of Scranton PA. Can
      someone help me with this .Thanks, Dave
    • Bob Streeter
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007

        dave
        Kutztown PA near Allentown just off the Turnpike Art Tarola.
        He is listed in the EAA data base for Sport pilot CFI's and is a
        Sport pilot DPE  and a DAR

        Bob 47N
        N196RS

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 2, 2007
          Hi Dave where do you fly from I am bassed at 8PA0
          Numidia pa south of Bloomsburg just had faa Mr Cooper
          do my mini max and friends N3 Charlie K

          --- flyer5_2000 <daranch@...> wrote:

          > Hi I am trying to find a ultralight friendly DAR
          > in the NE . I have
          > my QS MXL 2 registered now I need a DAR . I called
          > FAA they gave me 2
          > names both over 4hrs away . I am just north of
          > Scranton PA. Can
          > someone help me with this .Thanks, Dave

          http://sims.yahoo.com/
        • flyer5_2000
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 2, 2007
            I fly from Montrose 18801 . The airport is P32 . Can you email me
            info on how to contact him . Thanks ,Dave

            --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, Charles Kremer
            <flyboy17737@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dave where do you fly from I am bassed at 8PA0
            > Numidia pa south of Bloomsburg just had faa Mr Cooper
            > do my mini max and friends N3 Charlie K
            >

            > --- flyer5_2000 <daranch@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi I am trying to find a ultralight friendly DAR
            > > in the NE . I have
            > > my QS MXL 2 registered now I need a DAR . I called
            > > FAA they gave me 2
            > > names both over 4hrs away . I am just north of
            > > Scranton PA. Can
            > > someone help me with this .Thanks, Dave

            story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
            > http://sims.yahoo.com/

          • Charles Kremer
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
              Hi Dave I realy do not think he will come all the way
              to Montrose as he lives in Md and office is New
              Cumberland Faa office. he does not have a govt car and
              does not get mileage . The only reason he came to 8Pa0
              was there was 2 planes and we were on list since sept
              06. the time may run out before he can get there DAR
              my be your fastest route Charlie

              --- flyer5_2000 <daranch@...> wrote:

              > I fly from Montrose 18801 . The airport is P32 .
              > Can you email me
              > info on how to contact him . Thanks ,Dave
              >

              > --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, Charles
              > Kremer
              > <flyboy17737@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Dave where do you fly from I am bassed at
              > 8PA0
              > > Numidia pa south of Bloomsburg just had faa Mr
              > Cooper
              > > do my mini max and friends N3 Charlie K
              > >

              > > --- flyer5_2000 <daranch@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hi I am trying to find a ultralight friendly
              > DAR
              > > > in the NE . I have
              > > > my QS MXL 2 registered now I need a DAR . I
              > called
              > > > FAA they gave me 2
              > > > names both over 4hrs away . I am just north of
              > > > Scranton PA. Can
              > > > someone help me with this .Thanks, Dave

              > > Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! -
              > their life, your
              > story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
              > > http://sims.yahoo.com/

            • Rich Ardolino
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                Hello Group,

                Several years back I was acquainted with a Formula V race pilot named
                Charlie Terry, based on Long Island, NY. Because of computer crashes,
                etc., I've lost his address and am out of touch with him, but I do
                recall that he was an AP (and maybe also IA) and was also appointed as a
                Designated Examiner . I know he did inspections of some local (New
                Jersey) EAA chapter homebuilts.....don't know if he does
                "ultralights".....but he did have his own aircraft (a Commanche) and
                would travel to do inspections. Suggest contacting some EAA chapters in
                Long Island for leads to find his address.

                Rich A.
                rckchp@...

                Charles Kremer wrote:

                > Hi Dave I realy do not think he will come all the way
                > to Montrose as he lives in Md and office is New
                > Cumberland Faa office. he does not have a govt car and
                > does not get mileage . The only reason he came to 8Pa0
                > was there was 2 planes and we were on list since sept
                > 06. the time may run out before he can get there DAR
                > my be your fastest route Charlie
                >
                > --- flyer5_2000 <daranch@... <mailto:daranch%40epix.net>> wrote:
                >
                > > I fly from Montrose 18801 . The airport is P32 .
                > > Can you email me
                > > info on how to contact him . Thanks ,Dave
                > >

                > > --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:Sport_Aircraft%40yahoogroups.com>, Charles
                > > Kremer
                > > <flyboy17737@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi Dave where do you fly from I am bassed at
                > > 8PA0
                > > > Numidia pa south of Bloomsburg just had faa Mr
                > > Cooper
                > > > do my mini max and friends N3 Charlie K

                > > DAR
                > > called

                > > > Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! -
                > > their life, your
                > > story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
                > > > http://sims.yahoo.com/ <http://sims.yahoo.com/>

                > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's
                > updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
                > <http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow>

              • bczygan
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                  Dave,
                  Call the FAA MIDO office here:

                  New Cumberland MIDO
                  Bldg. 201, Room 102, 400 Airport Drive
                  New Cumberland, PA 17070-3419
                  (717) 782-4425 FAX: (717) 782-2231

                  Covers:

                  District of Columbia
                  Maryland
                  New York - Chemung County only
                  Pennsylvania
                  Virginia
                  West Virginia

                  Bill

                • skykng77@optonline.net
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                    Hi Rich,
                            Chalie Teri can be reached on his Cell @ 1 (516) 375-6739.  He is still a designated examiner and he has checked over two Challengers (including mine) at my strip here in Spadaro Airport, Eastport, Long Island, N.Y. (1N1).
                                                                                           Doug
                                                                                            N3209H
                    PS. Yes he still has the Commanche the Last time he took off from Spadaro.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                      gUYS   TRY THIS

                      Bob 47Nhttp://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/designees_delegations/designee_types/media/DARDirectory.pdf
                      N196RS

                      rckchp@comcast. net

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 6, 2007
                        Dave,
                        I called the FAA FSDO and MIDO offices that operate in your area.
                        They cover all of PA and some of NY and NJ. A large area, and they
                        have a large staff of inspectors to cover it. This area is short of
                        DAR's to inspect your aircraft. This is good news as DAR's charge for
                        their services and FAA inspectors do not. In addition, the FAA will
                        come to you, regardless of the distance, if you are in their area.
                        Your inspector called me this morning at the crack of dawn, willing
                        and able to send you all the info you need. Call Henry Cooper at 717
                        782-4425 Ext. 226 or email him at henry.cooper@...
                        He will send you out the packet of info on how to proceed.

                        Yours,

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 6, 2007
                          Dave,
                          An update on the DAR and MIDO situation. I talked further with Henry
                          Cooper. Here's the deal. They cover a lot of territory and you are out
                          in the middle of nowhere 4 hours from them. He can't get approval to
                          spend a whole day to travel there and back and inspect one aircraft.
                          That still leaves you with some options, though. First is going to a
                          DAR. Here are the ones he knows of:

                          Currently, it appears that Eugene C. Breiner, PA DAR, and Mr. Charles
                          Terry, NY DAR are the closest to Mr. Donnora. Please note that on the
                          attached New England Region DAR Listing, Function Code #47 does not show
                          for Mr. Breiner, however he has been assigned this Code. The list will be
                          updated to reflect this change.

                          Next is the option of getting a traveling DAR like Jim Stephenson to
                          come to your place. This will be the most expensive option but can be
                          kept to a lower cost if you can get some other guys together for
                          inspections at the same time.

                          Another option is to find a fly-in that has a DAR doing inspections
                          this summer. Get your plane there and get it done. You could also set
                          up for a DAR to do this at a local fly in.

                          Finally there is the option of meeting them (The FAA) somewhere closer
                          to their base of operations. They will go 1 or 1 1/2 hours out. Find a
                          place to meet and set a time and trailer your aircraft there. If you
                          can get a group of guys together, they will be even more apt to do it.
                          They are willing to work with you to a point. Make it easy for them
                          and you can save the DAR fee, or pay a premium and have a DAR come to
                          you. Your choice.

                          Bill

                          --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "bczygan" <bczygan@...> wrote:

                          > Dave,
                          > I called the FAA FSDO and MIDO offices that operate in your area.
                          > They cover all of PA and some of NY and NJ. A large area, and they
                          > have a large staff of inspectors to cover it. This area is short of
                          > DAR's to inspect your aircraft. This is good news as DAR's charge for
                          > their services and FAA inspectors do not. In addition, the FAA will
                          > come to you, regardless of the distance, if you are in their area.
                          > Your inspector called me this morning at the crack of dawn, willing
                          > and able to send you all the info you need. Call Henry Cooper at 717
                          > 782-4425 Ext. 226 or email him at henry.cooper@...
                          > He will send you out the packet of info on how to proceed.
                          >
                          > Yours,
                          >
                          > Bill
                          >

                          > --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "flyer5_2000" <daranch@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi I am trying to find a ultralight friendly DAR in the NE . I have
                          > > my QS MXL 2 registered now I need a DAR . I called FAA they gave me 2
                          > > names both over 4hrs away . I am just north of Scranton PA. Can
                          > > someone help me with this .Thanks, Dave

                        • Richard Williams
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 6, 2007
                            Lucky guys in the North East.

                            Out here in the North West, the local FAA boys in Renton, WA say that
                            they will NOT perform initial airworthiness inspections, only re-inspections.
                            They pointed me toward a DAR named Cotton for the initial inspection of my trike.

                            They did however, insist that they had all the paperwork in hand before they would authorize the DAR
                            to perform the inspection.

                            I ended up going to Brian at Rainbow Aviation in Corning CA for the inspection.
                            He was quick, efficient, the local A&P immediately handled any discrepancies (for a fee).
                            Other than the long drive trailering the trike and wing, the whole inspection was quickly finished.
                            I arrived at 10:am and finished by 1:pm, including the fixing of the discrepancies.

                            R. Williams

                            > I called the FAA FSDO and MIDO offices that operate in your area.
                            > They cover all of PA and some of NY and NJ. A large area, and they
                            > have a large staff of inspectors to cover it. This area is short of
                            > DAR's to inspect your aircraft. This is good news as DAR's charge for
                            > their services and FAA inspectors do not. In addition, the FAA will
                            > come to you, regardless of the distance, if you are in their area.
                            > Your inspector called me this morning at the crack of dawn, willing
                            > and able to send you all the info you need. Call Henry Cooper at 717
                            > 782-4425 Ext. 226 or email him at henry.cooper@...
                            > He will send you out the packet of info on how to proceed.
                            >
                            > Yours,
                            >
                            > Bill
                            >
                            > --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "flyer5_2000" <daranch@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi I am trying to find a ultralight friendly DAR in the NE . I have
                            > > my QS MXL 2 registered now I need a DAR . I called FAA they gave me 2
                            > > names both over 4hrs away . I am just north of Scranton PA. Can
                            > > someone help me with this .Thanks, Dave

                            ------- End of Original Message -------
                          • R.P.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 6, 2007
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 6, 2007
                                Funny thing, but mine is now due for an annual already. Go figure. Do you
                                do that Rick? Or I could have Brian at rainbow do mine as well...and
                                probably more locally if I was to look around a bit.

                                Gary O.
                                N181RL
                                -} =original text
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

                                -}> I ended up going to Brian at Rainbow Aviation in Corning CA for the
                                -}> inspection.
                                -}> He was quick, efficient, the local A&P immediately handled any
                                -}> discrepancies (for a fee).
                                -}> Other than the long drive trailering the trike and wing, the whole
                                -}> inspection was quickly finished.
                                -}> I arrived at 10:am and finished by 1:pm, including the
                                -}fixing of the
                                -}> discrepancies.
                                -}>
                                -}> R. Williams
                                -}
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 6, 2007
                                  R.P.

                                  The discrepancies were ones that I was expecting.

                                  --the 'experimental' decals were not applied.
                                  --the see through pocket to hold the airworthiness certificate was not attached.

                                  I had already gotten the decals from EAA
                                  I has already gotten two see through pockets from the local NAPA store.

                                  the A&P did a quick cleaning of the pod surface and applied the two experimental decals.
                                  the A&P drilled the pod floor and pop riveted two pockets onto the inside of the pod.

                                  When I got home, I thoroughly cleaned the pod outer surface (without disturbing the decals), then
                                  applied three(3) clear coats over everything (with light sandings of each coat), then applied two
                                  heavy layers of wax (each buffed down to a reasonable shine). I think the decals are now
                                  permanently installed :-)

                                  R. Williams

                                  > > I ended up going to Brian at Rainbow Aviation in Corning CA for the
                                  > > inspection.
                                  > > He was quick, efficient, the local A&P immediately handled any
                                  > > discrepancies (for a fee).
                                  > > Other than the long drive trailering the trike and wing, the whole
                                  > > inspection was quickly finished.
                                  > > I arrived at 10:am and finished by 1:pm, including the fixing of the
                                  > > discrepancies.
                                  > >
                                  > > R. Williams
                                  >
                                  > Glad to hear you got it done quick and easy :)
                                  > So, what were the discrepancies?
                                  >
                                  > When I finished building my Zodiac, the local EAA tech advisor came over to
                                  > the hangar and went over the plane and the paperwork with me. He advised me
                                  > about issues that had come up in the past with other homebuilts so that I
                                  > could avoid any problems later when the DAR came to inspect the plane.
                                  > Inspection day came and went with no problems at all :)
                                  >
                                  > Rick
                                  ------- End of Original Message -------
                                • Richard Williams
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 6, 2007
                                    Gary O,

                                    Do you have a grandfathered UL converted into a E-LSA?
                                    If so, have you taken the 16 hour inspection course?
                                    If so, have you visited your local FSDO and used the course completion certificate and the
                                    airworthiness certificate to get the inspection authority for your E-LSA
                                    If so, you can perform the annual condition inspection your self and sign it off in your airframe
                                    log book.

                                    R. Williams

                                    > Funny thing, but mine is now due for an annual already. Go figure. Do you
                                    > do that Rick? Or I could have Brian at rainbow do mine as well...and
                                    > probably more locally if I was to look around a bit.
                                    >
                                    > Gary O.
                                    > N181RL
                                    > -} =original text
                                    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

                                    ------- End of Original Message -------
                                  • R.P.
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 6, 2007
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 7, 2007
                                        Gary
                                        You are so not alone ,I can't belive where the past year has
                                        gone,I was N numbered a year ago yesterday, got to get at it now,I am
                                        just about to make the cost of my 16 hour class pay off.
                                        Dave R

                                      • Mike Peters
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 7, 2007
                                          Hi Dave!
                                          My plane has been down while I get my hydraulic disks
                                          on it. I'm about done, though.
                                          There's a couple fly-ins on the 16th, but I think I'll
                                          be down at the lake. The next weekend, I'll be in
                                          California with Rich picking up his plane and my new engine.

                                          8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
                                        • Mike Peters
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 7, 2007
                                            Oops! Sorry, I didn't intend it to go to the group.
                                            Glad I didn't say anything nasty about anybody :)

                                            Mike

                                            --- Mike Peters <mjp103@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Dave!
                                            > My plane has been down while I get my hydraulic
                                            > disks
                                            > on it. I'm about done, though.
                                            > There's a couple fly-ins on the 16th, but I think
                                            > I'll
                                            > be down at the lake. The next weekend, I'll be in
                                            > California with Rich picking up his plane and my new
                                            > engine.

                                            in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                                          • flyer5_2000
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jun 10, 2007
                                              Not too lucky I've been told the same thing here so far . A trike
                                              is a lot easier to break down and assemble . This would be a real pain
                                              in the ass . It almost seems they make these rules then don't
                                              actually want people getting there UL's certified . Dave

                                              --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Williams" <rkwill@...>