An easily fixed FAA mistake

  • Chuck Scrivner
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004
      I had spent the time to research and follow all of the requirements
      for FAA registration of my aircraft. A Quick MX Sprint.
      And FAA screwed up.

      After obtaining a reserve N-number ($10)
      -N69QT,I submitted, as required -

      AC form 8050-1 (Aircraft Registration Application) -
      AC Form 8050-88 (Affidavit of Ownership) Notarized Original
      And a form letter requesting United Stated identification number
      assignment for my Amateur Built aircraft.
      And, another $5 for the registration itself.

      The 8050-88 and Form letter included the required discription of the
      aircraft. This discription included -

      U.S. Identification Number - N69QT
      Builders name - Charles L. Scrivner
      Model - Quicksilver MX
      Serial Number - 113
      Class - Glider
      engine - Reciprocating
      Manufacturer/Model - Rotax 447
      Built for Land or water - Land
      Number of seats - 1

      After about 12 days, I accessed the FAA Registration Inquiry web site
      http://162.58.35.241/acdatabase/defimg.asp

      I found that FAA had N69QT registered the Quicksilver MX,
      BUT as Fixed Wing Single-Engine (airplane) NOT as a Glider !!!!!

      The next day, I called the FAA toll free number and spoke with a
      service representative. I explained that I felt an error had been
      made and that FAA should have designated my aircraft as Glider.

      Linda, the representative, put me on hold while researching.

      After a long time, she returned stating, " Yes, we did make a mistake"
      " We researched your original application and found that you did
      indeed apply under the Glider category."
      "Your registration will be corrected today, but will probably not
      show up on the FAA Inquiry web site for a couple of days"

      I asked how this might have happened?
      She said, " they must have just overlooked it, or are so used to
      Single Engine Land that they put it in that way out of shear
      repetion"
      "The Class/Category inputs are simply a numerical key pad entry"

      I have seen other errors like this on their data base.

      One was a Challenger II registered as a Glider, but under STANDARD
      airworthiness (that's like calling it a Beechcraft,Cessna or Piper.

      Another, was a Titan Tornado as a glider but with a TURBOPROP engine.

      This may be of particular interest to Barry, because he had earlier
      said that one of the Trikes that had earlier been registered, with
      the intent of being a glider, was actually showing up as Fixed wing,
      Single Engine Land.

      The Pilot of this particular Trike, could have some explaining to do
      if he/she is only Certificated as a Private Glider Pilot.....not ASEL

      Best to get that taken care of ASAP......before FAA loses the
      original paperwork.

      It's always best to research and follow up on FAA. Always look over
      your paper work with a fine toothed comb.

      Chuck
    • Daniel Tappan
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004

         O.K. Chuck... Im lost as well as the FAA! How can this be a Glider with a Rotax 447?
                                              Tldrgr Dan

        Chuck Scrivner <goflyslow2@...> wrote:
        -
        U.S. Identification Number - N69QT
        Builders name - Charles L. Scrivner
        Model - Quicksilver MX
        Serial Number - 113
        Class - Glider
        engine - Reciprocating
        Manufacturer/Model - Rotax 447

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • jam'n
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004
          motorglider...

           O.K. Chuck... Im lost as well as the FAA! How can this be a Glider with a Rotax 447?
                                                Tldrgr Dan

          Chuck Scrivner <goflyslow2@...> wrote:
          -
          U.S. Identification Number - N69QT
          Builders name - Charles L. Scrivner
          Model - Quicksilver MX
          Serial Number - 113
          Class - Glider
          engine - Reciprocating
          Manufacturer/Model - Rotax 447

          Do you Yahoo!?

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Chuck Scrivner
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004

            > O.K. Chuck... Im lost as well as the FAA! How can this be a
            Glider with a Rotax 447?
            > Tldrgr Dan
            >
            > Follow some of these links

            http://www.angelfire.com/ks2/motorglider/Scheibe.html

            http://www.angelfire.com/ks2/motorglider/RF4.html

            http://webpages.charter.net/engreenwell/ASA/

            http://www.flight-team.de/prod042.htm

            http://www.flight-
            unlimited.8m.com/Game/Planes/Flyable/Stemme/Motorglider.htm