Re: Student Certificate?

  • Doug Donaldson
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 1 7:58 AM
      A Student Pilot Certificate expires 24 months after it is issued.

      A solo endorsement to a Student Pilot Certificate expires after 90
      days and must be renewed by your CFI for continued solo privileges.

      Doug Donaldson

      --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Williams"
      <rkwill@...> wrote:

      > Linda,
      >
      > One of the criteria (after 9/11) is that the student certificate
      for SP only
      > be issued in a face to face situation.
      >
      > I do know that any FSDO can do it.
      > Also some of the better equiped schools, like rainbow aviation in
      Corning CA
      > can do it easily (where I got mine).
      > The student certificate is only valid for 90 days from the last
      time a SP CFI
      > or higher signed it.
      >
      > R. Williams

    • Jim Bair
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1 8:07 AM
        Quoting Ralph <rstar447@...>:

        > There are no certified make and model types in my area, so I guess I
        > have to resort to getting training all over again to fly a Cessna
        > when all I want to do is fly my little plane until I take the
        > practical exam?
        >
        > Somehow this makes no sense .....

        It doesn't have to be in make and model. It has to be in category, class, and
        set. (Airplane, single engine land with wheels.)

        Jim

        www.SportAviationUnlimited.com
      • Doug Donaldson
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 1 8:30 AM
          Ralph,

          The process - moving from UL pilot flying a fat UL to Sport Pilot
          flying LSA - will make more sense if you get your pilot
          certification before you transition your airplane.

          Doug Donaldson

          --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph" <rstar447@...> wrote:

          > --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, Jim Bair <JimBair@> wrote:
          > "Get with someone in a 2 seater and show them you can fly. That's
          > what a guy flying a single seat Pitts does, too.
          > Jim"
          >
          > Jim,
          >
          > I'm not flying a Cessna and not training in a Cessna. I fly a fat
          > single seat ultralight (soon to be an N-numbered aircraft) and
          need
          > the student cert signed off so I can fly until I take and pass the
          > practical
          > exam.
          >
          > There are no certified make and model types in my area, so I guess
          > have to resort to getting training all over again to fly a Cessna
          > when all I want to do is fly my little plane until I take the
          > practical exam?
          >
          > Somehow this makes no sense .....
          >
          > Ralph
          >

          > > Quoting Ralph <rstar447@>:
          > >
          > > > Once you have the student certificate, it's not valid until
          it's
          > > > signed by a CFI on the back of the cert.
          > > >
          > > > As a transitioning fat UL pilot, how does one go about getting
          it
          > > > signed off?
          > >
          > > A CFI signs it.
          > >
          > > > No CFI is going to sign it because they want to be assured
          that
          > you
          > > > can fly your plane. This takes training and the regs say that
          all
          > > > training must be done in a 2-seater.
          > > >
          > > > So how are we supposed to fly after the registration and
          before
          > the
          > > > Practical Exam if we are flying a single seater?
          > >
          > > Get with someone in a 2 seater and show them you can fly.
          That's
          > what a guy
          > > flying a single seat Pitts does, too.
          > >
          > > Jim
          > >
          > > www.SportAviationUnlimited.com

        • Bill Denton
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 1 9:52 AM
            The following distinctions are also made:

            Tailwheel

            Nosewheel

            VH <87 Knots CAS

            VH >87 Knots CAS

            And according to Oklahoma City, you must have an endorsement for each of
            these variations, where applicable.

            I asked if a signoff for tailwheel, >87 knots (the most demanding situation)
            would also qualify you for nosewheel, <87 knots, and was told that separate
            signoffs were required.

            > There are no certified make and model types in my area, so I guess I
            > have to resort to getting training all over again to fly a Cessna
            > when all I want to do is fly my little plane until I take the
            > practical exam?
            >
            > Somehow this makes no sense .....

            It doesn't have to be in make and model. It has to be in category, class,
            and
            set. (Airplane, single engine land with wheels.)

            Jim

            www.SportAviationUnlimited.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Ralph
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 1 10:21 AM
              Jim/Doug,

              In order to get my pilot certification, I would need to find a CFI
              who trains in an LSA. I would have to go out of state to do that
              (more $$$$). If the PTS states that I can get a single seat pilot
              certification, then I will do that and it would be less rigorous. I
              can take the practical exam in my own plane that I am used to with
              the DPE observing from the ground. Obtaining an SP license this way is
              definitely much easier as the examiner is not next to you. Yes it
              will be a single seat license, but I can always upgrade to the 2-seat
              license when I get a 2-seat aircraft.

              I understand that I can also go straight into the practical exam as
              soon as the plane is registered and inspected, provided I have passed
              the written and have the org cert. The only reason in getting the
              student cert was so I could fly it between the time I put
              N-numbers on it and take the exam.

              Ralph

              --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, Jim Bair <JimBair@...> wrote:

              > Quoting Ralph <rstar447@...>:
              >
              > > There are no certified make and model types in my area, so I
              guess I
              > > have to resort to getting training all over again to fly a Cessna
              > > when all I want to do is fly my little plane until I take the
              > > practical exam?
              > >
              > > Somehow this makes no sense .....
              >
              > It doesn't have to be in make and model. It has to be in category,
              class, and
              > set. (Airplane, single engine land with wheels.)
              >
              > Jim
              >
              > www.SportAviationUnlimited.com

            • jim
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 1 10:48 AM
                Ralph,

                We can get you your Sport Pilot Certificate in as little as one week at the Bryce Mountain Resort. This course has been written up in Popular Mechanics Magazine. Bring along your family and while you are flying they can enjoy the amenities of the resort.

                SEE: WWW.MASPL.COM

                Jim

                Jim Pellien
                Mid-Atlantic Sports Planes
                The Mid-Atlantic Center of SportsPlanes.com

                www.MASPL.com
                703-313-4818
                Jim@...

                From: "Ralph" <rstar447@...>
                Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:21:01 -0000

                Sent via the WebMail system at mail.pellien.com
              • Jim Pellien
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 1 5:21 PM
                  You also must have proof of citizenship, either a birth certificate or a
                  passport, to get the student certificate.

                  Jim

                  Jim Pellien
                  Mid-Atlantic Sports Planes
                  The Mid-Atlantic Region of SportsPlanes.com
                  www.MASPL.com
                  703-313-4818

                  > I can't seem to find out how to get my student certificate for my
                  > Sport Pilot. The only within six hours of me who issues student
                  > certificates is a AME. I called his office and created much confusion
                  > (they're looking into it). How did you all get your student certificate?
                  >
                  > Linda
                  > Luscombe 8A N71467

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Bill Czygan
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 1 5:55 PM
                    Jim,
                    I believe it is incorrect that you need anything other than proper
                    state ID to get your student pilot certificate. To get it endorsed or
                    to begin training you need proof of citizenship to show your
                    instructor.

                    Bill Czygan

                    --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Pellien" <jim@...> wrote:

                    > You also must have proof of citizenship, either a birth certificate
                    or a
                    > passport, to get the student certificate.
                    >
                    > Jim
                    >
                    > Jim Pellien
                    > Mid-Atlantic Sports Planes
                    > The Mid-Atlantic Region of SportsPlanes.com
                    > www.MASPL.com
                    > 703-313-4818

                  • ncoastwmn
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 2 12:03 PM
                      --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Czygan" <bczygan@...>
                      wrote:

                      Bill,
                      They told me at Rainbow Aviation (where I'll be getting my
                      certificate) that I'd need my Driver's licence and passport or birth
                      certificate to get the student certificate.

                      Linda

                    • jim
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 2 1:07 PM
                        Bill,

                        I checked and you are right.

                        The birth certificate and passport are not required for the student certificate....they are not required until
                        the student is ready to begin his training. I have told all of my instructors to get copies
                        of the birth certificate or passport and put them in the students' file when they first arrive
                        at our training facility.

                        From: "ncoastwmn" <ncoastwmn@...>
                        Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:03:04 -0000

                        Sent via the WebMail system at mail.pellien.com