Re: [Sport_Aircraft] Digest Number 128

  • CMCHARLES@WEBTV.NET
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
      I have flown a number of UL's light and heavy. I flew the Skyboy and
      logged about ten hours in them. Mine had a 582 and seemed to do ok even
      with two people. I'm sure the 912 or 912S will add considerable
      performance.

      I'd say the view is quite good and the comfort ok if you are less than
      my 6' 4" 250 frame. A very stable aircraft and on a calm day can fly
      hands off.

      I wasn't ready to spend $22k or more at that time and bought an
      aerobatic Phantom one seat, with which I am well pleased. i am
      preparing to sell my Phantom, to buy a bigger two seat, a must is one
      with an open cockpit or at least with a sliding canopy. After open air
      flying, don't want to return to a closed environment.......just my
      preference.

      All in all the, Skyboy is a very respectable, solid, stable, easy to
      fly, but maybe not exciting, aircraft.....

      C.B. Hudson
      St. Petersburg, Fl. ---==X={}=X==---
      "Often wrong,
      ...but never in doubt"
    • Jay D
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
        It's impossible to see your wingman unless he is a little to the front
        of you. You can't see the ground straight ahead after you rotate. The
        molded reclining seat doesn't allow for new positions for comfort on
        xcountries. Not what you want in a UL. My friends NEW Skyboy had to
        replace the oiling system lines on the 582 in 3 months. One of his brake
        cylinders had a air leak in the casting which let it get air in the
        system. He tried with the dealer in FL for 3 months before getting it
        fixed. It has been down more than up since he bought it. Initially it
        wouldn't rotate with normal up elevator after substantial ground speed.
        It had to be jerked off the ground after 60 mph departure speed on the
        ground. FL sent a longer nose gear that helped, but it broke. Weak. They
        sent another. It is still working, but the owner doesn't have confidence
        in it. It is a stable plane in the air. Good flight characteristics.
        They advertised the plane's weight as 496, legal trainer weight, but
        when he picked his up, the W/B showed it to weigh 604. That was a
        stripped down model without the faired struts. He had to replace 2 tire
        tubes already, they split in the seams.......

        Jay D

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • joaustin1952
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
          Biggest gripe I have about the Skyboy is the cabin width. Very
          confining with the doors closed...

          -- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Jay D" <jdewberry@p...> wrote:
          > It's impossible to see your wingman unless he is a little to the
          front
          > of you. You can't see the ground straight ahead after you rotate.
          The
          > molded reclining seat doesn't allow for new positions for comfort
          on
          > xcountries. Not what you want in a UL. My friends NEW Skyboy had to
          > replace the oiling system lines on the 582 in 3 months. One of his
          brake
          > cylinders had a air leak in the casting which let it get air in the
          > system. He tried with the dealer in FL for 3 months before getting
          it
          > fixed. It has been down more than up since he bought it. Initially
          it
          > wouldn't rotate with normal up elevator after substantial ground
          speed.
          > It had to be jerked off the ground after 60 mph departure speed on
          the
          > ground. FL sent a longer nose gear that helped, but it broke.
          Weak. They
          > sent another. It is still working, but the owner doesn't have
          confidence
          > in it. It is a stable plane in the air. Good flight
          characteristics.
          > They advertised the plane's weight as 496, legal trainer weight,
          but
          > when he picked his up, the W/B showed it to weigh 604. That was a
          > stripped down model without the faired struts. He had to replace 2
          tire
          > tubes already, they split in the seams.......
          >
          > Jay D

          =X==---

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
            I agree. In a bumpy landing you would get your head split by the door
            opening flange and the shock that holds the door open.

            Jay D

          • Stan Pace
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
              I flew a Skyboy this past weekend and didn't observe any visibility
              problems. Actually thought the visibility was great. That may because
              I am used to cessna's 150 and 172 that I am training in.
              The TO and landing and cruize speeds seemed similar to c150 to me, as
              well as the cabin width.
              The owner did have to bleed the brake line before takeoff because of
              a problem.
              FOR SOMEONE LOOKING FOR SIDE BY SIDE, 912'S, RELATIVELY EASY FLYING
              CHARACTERISTICS, FACTORY(PRE)-BUILT, LESS THAN $40K,
              WHAT ARE RECOMMENDATIONS OTHER THAN SKYBOY?
              Again, Thanks for your responses,
              Stan

              --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Jay D" <jdewberry@p...> wrote:
              > It's impossible to see your wingman unless he is a little to the
              front
              > of you. You can't see the ground straight ahead after you rotate.
              The
              > molded reclining seat doesn't allow for new positions for comfort on
              > xcountries. Not what you want in a UL. My friends NEW Skyboy had to
              > replace the oiling system lines on the 582 in 3 months. One of his
              brake
              > cylinders had a air leak in the casting which let it get air in the
              > system. He tried with the dealer in FL for 3 months before getting
              it
              > fixed. It has been down more than up since he bought it. Initially
              it
              > wouldn't rotate with normal up elevator after substantial ground
              speed.
              > It had to be jerked off the ground after 60 mph departure speed on
              the
              > ground. FL sent a longer nose gear that helped, but it broke. Weak.
              They
              > sent another. It is still working, but the owner doesn't have
              confidence
              > in it. It is a stable plane in the air. Good flight characteristics.
              > They advertised the plane's weight as 496, legal trainer weight, but
              > when he picked his up, the W/B showed it to weigh 604. That was a
              > stripped down model without the faired struts. He had to replace 2
              tire
              > tubes already, they split in the seams.......
              >
              > Jay D

              =X==---
              > > "Often wrong,
              > > ...but never in doubt"

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Just Aircraft
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
                Check out this web site www.slowflight.com if you are interested in a very economical folding wing 912 powered airplane for easily less than 40K.  we actually slept in ours 2 weekends ago with a beautiful view of the stars all night.  When I say We, I mean two of us.  the room in the cargo area is unbelievable.

                KJ

              • SportTriker@hotpop.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
                  From: "Jay D" <jdewberry@...>
                  >They advertised the plane's weight as 496, legal trainer weight,
                  >but when he picked his up, the W/B showed it to weigh 604.

                  Yes, but after he removed the packaging, what did it weigh THEN?

                  Regards,
                  Mike H.
                • Jay D
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
                    No, No, this was in flying trim. Actual numbers.

                    Jay D

                  • TreatRayner@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 4, 2003
                      In a message dated 10/2/2003 3:41:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, jdewberry@... writes:

                      No, No, this was in flying trim. Actual numbers.

                      Jay D

                      Was it the ultralight version with no options like: doors, wheel pants, bigger gas tank, rear fairing, flaps, hydraulic brakes, deluxe interior or instrument package, etc.? Anything added to the plane will put it over the trainer limit. Mine weighed approx. 540 lb with doors and the rear fairing.
                      Treat Rayner