Happy Birthday Sport

  • Chuck Scrivner
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
      "Ralph" <rstar447@y...> wrote:
      > In spite of SP, we are having lots of fun this summer:
      *******************

      Happy Birthday Sport Pilot..............affectionately called SPROT

      A good indication of the Sport Pilot Program progress for this year...

      Designated Examiners

      LIGHT SPORT AIRCRAFT (POWERED PARACHUTE)
      total - 8
      Out of those, 3 are also Instructor examiners

      LIGHT SPORT AIRCRAFT (WEIGHT SHIFT CONTROL)
      total -9
      Out of those, 5 are also Instructor examiners

      Out of the above 19 individuals, 14 were already Certificated
      pilots........8 were already FAA CFI's

      ASC's CEO, John Stephenson is not listed, and it is surprising, since
      he was a Prime supported of Sport Pilot related to Weight Shift and
      Powered Parachutes.
      And, he is already a Private Pilot and CFI-glider instructor.

      Of all the ASEL Designated examiners, less than 15 are actually Small
      aircraft oriented...........with the remainder Examiners only
      obtaining the designation by just making application...as they are
      already D.E's.......many have no idea of the differences in the
      regulatory requirements.

      Approx. 145 individules have taken the written Sport Pilot test.
      Approximatley 40 individules have become Sport
      Pilots...........mostly in PPC's and weight shift.

      The FAA has changed their web site structure, and many previous links
      are no-longer viable. ie; just try to look up the Sport Pilot Rule
      in it's complete pdf. version.

      The FAA idiots who did this provide no transfer links to access the
      current links.

      But THIS link is current
      http://www.faa.gov/apa/pr/pr.cfm?id=1874
      quote from this FAA Press release
      Contact: Alison Duquette
      Phone: 202-267-3883
      APA 30-04
      Date Posted:................ July 20, 2004
      "The FAA worked with the general aviation community to create a
      final rule that sets safety standards for the 15,000 people who will
      now earn FAA certificates to operate more than 15,000 existing
      uncertificated ultralight-like aircraft. Another 12,000 pilots and
      new aircraft will be certificated over the next 10 years."
      end quote.

      I was totally out of the ball park last year when I predicted less
      than 250 new Sport Certificated Pilots by the end of the first
      year. I revised that estimate to 150 as of the 4 month anniversary
      date ......again, I was wrong.

      I now revise another estimate. Not more than 150 total Sport Pilot /
      U/L transitional Certifications in the next 2 years, or until the
      deadline.

      AND, not more than 400 total Sport Pilot Certifications in the next
      10 years.

      The basic demise of all ** U/L orgs due to lack of membership and
      participation.

      Sport Pilot is a 40 million dollar scoff law, intended to line the
      pockets of EAA

      ** EAA's U/L division will continue as a front.............as it is
      now.....with no real support or activity.

      How many of YOU are anywhere CLOSE to transitioning from U/L to Sport?

      What YOU need to do, is do what others have done.

      Register your aircraft as Experimental
      Obtain flight instruction

      And, maybe in a couple of years..............you'll be able to take
      a flight test.

      I don't know anyone on this list that has actually DONE that
      though..........

      Cept me.............for 2 different pilot ratings and 1 aircraft
      registration.......while ya' all been sitting around Yahooing Sport
      Pilot.

      Blow out your candle, and sing Happy Birthday !

      Chuck
    • cgalley
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
        O.K. Chuck..

        How is Sport Pilot going to "line the pockets of EAA?"

        Bet you don't have a real answer!
        > In spite of SP, we are having lots of fun this summer:
        *******************

        Happy Birthday Sport Pilot..............affectionately called SPROT

        A good indication of the Sport Pilot Program progress for this year...

        Designated Examiners

        LIGHT SPORT AIRCRAFT (POWERED PARACHUTE)
        total - 8
        Out of those, 3 are also Instructor examiners

        LIGHT SPORT AIRCRAFT (WEIGHT SHIFT CONTROL)
        total -9
          Out of those,  5 are also Instructor examiners

        Out of the above 19 individuals, 14 were already Certificated
        pilots........8 were already FAA CFI's

        ASC's CEO, John Stephenson is not listed, and it is surprising, since
        he was a Prime supported of Sport Pilot related to Weight Shift and
        Powered Parachutes.
        And, he is already a Private Pilot and CFI-glider instructor.

        Of all the ASEL Designated examiners, less than 15 are actually Small
        aircraft oriented...........with the remainder Examiners only
        obtaining the designation by just making application...as they are
        already D.E's.......many have no idea of the differences in the
        regulatory requirements.

        Approx. 145 individules have taken the written Sport Pilot test.
        Approximatley 40 individules have become Sport
        Pilots...........mostly in PPC's and weight shift.

        The FAA has changed their web site structure, and many previous links
        are no-longer viable.  ie; just try to look up the Sport Pilot Rule
        in it's complete pdf. version.

        The FAA idiots who did this provide no transfer links to access the
        current links.

        But THIS link is current
        http://www.faa.gov/apa/pr/pr.cfm?id=1874
        quote from this FAA Press release
        Contact: Alison Duquette
        Phone: 202-267-3883
        APA 30-04
        Date Posted:................ July 20, 2004
[...]

      • jim
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
          Chuck,

          My 601XL has been shipped. I will have the 1-week Immersive SP course up and running by October 14th. I have my first customers signed up for the week of Oct 14-21. Our capacity with semi-private full-time 7 Day instruction is up to 100 SP candidates per year, and I can double that capacity if demand warrants.

          And my school is only one of many who undoubtedly will emerge in the next year and "see the light" of what Sport Pilot is all about.

          You predicted in you last EMAIL: QUOTE ".....not more than 400 total Sport Pilot Certifications in the next 10 years." UNQUOTE

          I'm willing to bet $1000 (even money) that there will be more than 400 new sport pilot licenses issued by September 1st 2006, one year, not 10 years? Please let me know if you accept this wager? The Sport Aircraft forum regulars can be the overseers of this collegial bet if you agree.

          Jim

          Jim Pellien
          Mid-Atlantic Sports Planes
          www.MASPL.com
          703-313-4818
          jim@...

          From: "cgalley" <cgalley@...>
          Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:13:27 -0500

          >O.K. Chuck..
          >
          >How is Sport Pilot going to "line the pockets of EAA?"
          >
          >Bet you don't have a real answer!

          Sent via the WebMail system at Engage IT
        • Chuck Scrivner
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
            --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "cgalley" <cgalley@q...> wrote:
            > O.K. Chuck..
            >
            > How is Sport Pilot going to "line the pockets of EAA?"
            >
            > Bet you don't have a real answer!

            http://www.sportpilot.org/news/050901_analysis.html

            http://www.eaa.org/memberbenefits.html

            Your tax-deductible entries not only fuel your dreams of harnessing
            the horsepower of the Sweepstakes prizes, but also supply financial
            horsepower to EAA's many valuable programs and services. Sweepstakes
            proceeds will help EAA ...
            create and expand education programs like EAA Young Eagles,
            maintain and restore vintage aircraft in EAA's AirVenture Museum and
            Pioneer Airport,continue programs like "Timeless Voices of Aviation"
            that promote the future through preservation of the past,
            continue our government advocacy efforts so elected officials never
            overlook the importance of private aviation, and
            keep flying affordable and safe for as many people as possible.
            Thank you for sharing EAA's passion for aviation. Good luck!

            http://www.eaa.org/support/

            Support Opportunities
            Annual Fund
            EAA Sweepstakes
            President's Circle   Planned Gift Opportunities
            Gifts of Cash
            Gifts of Appreciated Securities
            Bequest Through a Will
            Giving Through Retirement Plans
            Charitable Remainder Trust (CRT)
            Charitable Lead Trust
            Life Insurance
            Pooled Income Fund Memorial Gift Opportunities
            Donations
            Compass Hill
            Memorial Wall
            Scholarships
          • cgalley
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
              Selling EAA membership is "lining the pockets???"

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
                Google any of the below -
                EAA nonprofit
                EAA charitable
                EAA donation
                EAA hurricane
                EAA tsunami
                http://www.google.com/

                All of these searches will show how to GIVE to EAA.
                EAA national gives nothing and provides no services, relief,
                education or food..............without being paid for it

                I have not seen ANY charitable contributions or activities from
                NATIONAL EAA to any disaster relief, hunger program, educational
                program....nor anything else.

                LOCAL members donate their time, money and aircraft for various
                activities.
                NATIONAL takes credit. They do not reimburse.

                ********************************

                > Selling EAA membership is "lining the pockets???"

                ----------
              • cgalley
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Funny, Our Chapter got several thousand dollars in return for hosting a B-17 stop.  They give my workers free passes at Oshkosh. They provide free food and drink for my workers. We get free housing, plus a free truck and 3 Gators with free gas at the convention.

                  During the convention there are many free seminars.
                  During the convention there are many free workshops.
                  Sounds educational to me, a retired teacher.

                  Not all Charitable organizations are chartered for disaster relief.

                  Cy Galley - Chair,
                  AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair
                  A Service Project of Chapter 75
                  EAA Safety Programs Editor - TC
                  EAA Sport Pilot
                  All of these searches will show how to GIVE to EAA.
                  EAA national gives nothing and provides no services, relief,
                  education or food..............without being paid for it

                  I have not seen ANY charitable contributions or activities from
                  NATIONAL EAA to any disaster relief, hunger program, educational
                  program....nor anything else.

                  LOCAL members donate their time, money and aircraft for various
                  activities.
                  NATIONAL takes credit.  They do not reimburse.

                  ********************************

                  > Selling EAA membership is "lining the pockets???"

                  ----------

                • cgalley
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
                    KATRINA'S WRATH FELT EVERYWHERE

                    August 31, 2005 - The thoughts and prayers of EAA and its members throughout the world are with the victims and those still being threatened by Hurricane Katrina in the Gulf Coast region. EAA President Tom Poberezny expressed the thoughts of the organization, "This is truly a national tragedy, one that transcends all segments of society. We send our thoughts and prayers to those residents who have lost loved ones, who are now struggling to survive, those who lost their homes, their livelihoods. We're shocked and grieving along with them." EAA pledges its help however it can as soon as civic, state, and federal officials give the word.
                    All of these searches will show how to GIVE to EAA.
                    EAA national gives nothing and provides no services, relief,
                    education or food..............without being paid for it

                    I have not seen ANY charitable contributions or activities from
                    NATIONAL EAA to any disaster relief, hunger program, educational
                    program....nor anything else.

                    LOCAL members donate their time, money and aircraft for various
                    activities.
                    NATIONAL takes credit.  They do not reimburse.

                    ********************************

                    > Selling EAA membership is "lining the pockets???"

                    ----------

                  • Mike Huckle
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
                      > From: "Ralph" <rstar447@...>
                      >Subject: Cherry Grove fly-in Wanamingo MN
                      >
                      >In spite of SP, we are having lots of fun this summer:
                      >
                      >http://frogflyers.com/phpbb/album.php
                      >Ralph

                      ;-)
                      I've been having fun too, in spite of airline transport pilots,
                      and cessna drivers.

                      Regards,
                      Mike
                    • Ralph
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
                        --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, Mike Huckle <SportTriker@h...>
                        wrote:

                        > > From: "Ralph" <rstar447@y...>
                        > >Subject: Cherry Grove fly-in Wanamingo MN
                        > >
                        > >In spite of SP, we are having lots of fun this summer:
                        > >
                        > >http://frogflyers.com/phpbb/album.php
                        > >Ralph
                        >

                        > ;-)
                        > I've been having fun too, in spite of airline transport pilots,
                        > and cessna drivers.
                        >

                        > Regards,
                        > Mike

                        Mike, with fuel prices the way they are, the GA guys will probably be
                        thinking "lighter" and "smaller" to satisfy their flying appetite.

                        Ralph
                      • Andy Mueller
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
                          Ditto.

                          The SportStar at St. Charles is already scheduled solid for the next 2 MONTHS.
                          I'm scheduled every single day after work and on the weekends until Mid-October, and the phone is still ringing.

                          If Chuck is willing to put his money where his mouth is, I'm in for $100.

                          Andy

                          From: "cgalley" <cgalley@...>
                          Date:  Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:13:27 -0500

                          >O.K. Chuck..
                          >
                          >How is Sport Pilot going to "line the pockets of EAA?"
                          >
                          >Bet you don't have a real answer!

                        • Gary Orpe
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 1, 2005
                            Message
                            I believe this will be a back east thing. I really think the west is done for in GA and UL. Or so the activities would suggest. Back east guys have more craft and are closer together, cheaper gas and more spirit and comradely there than here.

                            How has the fly in scene been this year. Here/ there? I sure hope I am wrong. My wife had to be hospitalized 3 weeks ago and now needs bedside assistance. I don't know if I will be back for any more flights or not. For me it seems it has been a great waste of money and time. I have spent over $25,000 on training and plane and have gotten 30 hours of training and 100 hrs of solo flight. As I get older I hope I can remember what is was almost like. :-)

                            Hey, not to be negative or anything, right?

                              Gary O.
                              The old & dumb one...
                                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

                            From: "cgalley" <cgalley@...>
                            Date:  Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:13:27 -0500

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 2, 2005
                              --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "cgalley" <cgalley@q...> wrote:
                              > KATRINA'S WRATH FELT EVERYWHERE
                              >
                              > August 31, 2005 - The thoughts and prayers of EAA and its
                              members throughout the world are with the victims and those still
                              being threatened by Hurricane Katrina in the Gulf Coast region. EAA
                              President Tom Poberezny expressed the thoughts of the
                              organization, "This is truly a national tragedy, one that transcends
                              all segments of society. We send our thoughts and prayers to those
                              residents who have lost loved ones, who are now struggling to
                              survive, those who lost their homes, their livelihoods. We're shocked
                              and grieving along with them." EAA pledges its help however it can as
                              soon as civic, state, and federal officials give the word.

                              ******************************

                              Here's the word - Don't wait for George Bush to ask EAA personally

                              > Make A Donation
                              Your donation will help organizations speeding aid to the area.
                              Support one of the following, or search for other related charities.

                              American Red Cross
                              Providing disaster services and relief.

                              American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
                              Providing direct support to help rebuild facilities and relocate
                              animals.

                              Americares
                              Shipping cleaning supplies, personal hygiene products to victims.

                              America's Second Harvest
                              Providing food to victims.

                              B'nai B'rith
                              Providing assistance to victims of the recent storm.

                              Catholic Charities USA
                              Providing relief and recovery assistance.

                              Charity Hospital in New Orleans
                              Providing medical care to residents of Louisiana.

                              Church World Service
                              Developing long-term recovery plans to assist with recovery.

                              Convoy of Hope
                              Providing disaster relief and building supply lines.

                              Corporation for National and Community Service - Hurricane Katrina
                              Volunteer Support Fund
                              Meeting the immediate emergency disaster-caused needs of hurricane
                              victims.

                              Episcopal Relief & Development
                              Mobilizing to support residents affected by this disaster.

                              Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
                              Providing emergency relief and recovery supplies.

                              Feed the Children
                              Sending emergency food, water and other relief supplies.

                              Habitat for Humanity International, Inc.
                              Help rebuild the lives of the victims house by house.

                              Heart of Florida United Way
                              Assisting with hurricane recovery efforts in Florida.

                              Hearts with Hands
                              Activating response teams to assist in the Gulf Coast and locally.

                              Humane Society of the U.S.
                              Rescuing animals and assisting their caregivers in the disaster areas.

                              International Orthodox Christian Charities
                              Activating its emergency response network assisting people in the
                              storm-affected areas.

                              Make A Donation
                              List continued from left.

                              Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
                              Rescuing animals in the face of the devastation.

                              Mennonite Disaster Service
                              Providing relief to victims.

                              Mercy Corps
                              Assisting families affected by the hurricane.

                              National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster
                              Coordinating NGOs in Domestic Disasters.

                              Noah's Wish
                              Helping to keep animals alive in face of the storm devastation.

                              North Shore Animal League America
                              Providing temporary shelter for pets.

                              Operation Blessing
                              Transporting food, water, cleaning kits, and other emergency supplies.

                              PETsMART Charities
                              Providing relief for the animals impacted by hurricanes.

                              Salvation Army
                              Local, regional, and national disaster relief programs.

                              Samaritan's Purse
                              Helping victims of natural disasters.

                              Society of St. Vincent de Paul
                              Assisting victims of Hurricane Katrina.

                              The Baton Rouge Area Foundation
                              Providing basic human services to residents of these devastated areas.

                              United Animal Nations
                              Providing emergency animal sheltering and disaster relief services

                              United Methodist Committee on Relief
                              Providing relief to victims.

                              United Way for the Greater New Orleans Area
                              Helping victims of hurricanes locally.

                              United Way of Miami-Dade
                              Helping victims of hurricanes locally.

                              Water Missions International
                              Helping with the affected area's water purification needs.

                              World Vision
                              Shipping food and survival kits to affected Gulf Coast victims.

                              Learn More
                              Learn how to stay safe. Visit the sites below for tips and resources.

                              American Red Cross
                              For shelter information in Louisiana, please call 1-800-469-4828.

                              Find Shelters

                              Hurricane Safety

                              America Responds With Love
                              Donating products and services to help victims of Hurricane Katrina

                              Charity Navigator
                              Tips on giving to charity during this crisis.

                              Craigslist
                              New Orleans Lost & Found

                              Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
                              Download a family disaster planning kit

                              Find Katrina

                              FOR KIDS: FEMA for Kids
                              Hurricanes

                              FOR KIDS: Disaster Preparedness
                              Download a preparedness coloring book from FEMA

                              Hurricane Katrina Survivors
                              Discussions on Hurricane Katrina, help and updates

                              Katrina Family and Friends
                              Connecting family and friends

                              National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
                              Hurricanes

                              National Weather Service
                              Severe weather awareness

                              N.O. Pundit
                              Bulletin boards for missing persons

                              NOLA.com
                              Weblog

                              Now Public's missing persons board

                              Salvation Army
                              Information request form

                              Slidell Hurricane
                              Damage Blog

                              State Advisory
                              Louisiana

                              The Sun Herald
                              Reach loved ones

                              U.S. Next of Kin Registry

                              WDSU-TV's
                              Message board

                              Terms
                              > of Service.

                              ----
                              > ----------

                              training school
                              > Aviation training schools Experimental design
                              Experimental aircraft

                              of Service.

                              ----------
                            • Chuck Scrivner
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 2, 2005
                                --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "cgalley" <cgalley@q...> wrote:
                                > Funny, Our Chapter got several thousand dollars in return for
                                hosting a B-17 stop. They give my workers free passes at Oshkosh.
                                They provide free food and drink for my workers. We get free housing,
                                plus a free truck and 3 Gators with free gas at the convention.

                                > During the convention there are many free seminars.
                                > During the convention there are many free workshops.
                                > Sounds educational to me, a retired teacher.
                                >
                                > Not all Charitable organizations are chartered for disaster relief.
                                >
                                > Cy Galley - Chair,

                                Your local auto service center offers a free 31 point undercarriage
                                and brake inspection too. Why do ya think they do that?

                                You local clinics and physician groups offer free "health fairs".
                                Why do you think they do that?

                                Home depot has free classes on how to install floor tile.
                                Why do you think they do that?

                                At least THEY pay taxes on their profits. And pay there employees.

                                Chuck
                              • Gary Orpe
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 2, 2005
                                  Message
                                  In the wake of Katrina, I have no room to complain. Had $223 left in bank at end of month and gave it to the American Red Cross. They need all the help we can give for some time to come. It is hard to believe the conditions these people have now. Please lend them support in any way you can.

                                    Gary Orpe

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 2, 2005
                                    Gary, I wonder if it is a cultural thing. As the fly-in's around here,
                                    seems like the GA turnout is still about the same. The UL guys are
                                    not coming out in the numbers that they did a few years ago. Maybe
                                    the ul guys are getting affected by the poor economy more than the Ga
                                    guys.

                                    Jay D

                                    -----------------

                                  • rickpitcher
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 2, 2005
                                      --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Mueller" <runs-with-
                                      scissors@e...> wrote:
                                      > Ditto.
                                      >
                                      > The SportStar at St. Charles is already scheduled solid for the next
                                      2
                                      > MONTHS.
                                      > I'm scheduled every single day after work and on the weekends until
                                      > Mid-October, and the phone is still ringing.
                                      >
                                      > If Chuck is willing to put his money where his mouth is, I'm in for
                                      $100.

                                      > Andy

                                      I'll take $100 worth of that one too!
                                      Is anyone keeping tally on this?

                                      R.P.
                                    • Chuck Scrivner
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 2, 2005
                                        --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, Jay D <jaydew@l...> wrote:
                                        > Gary, I wonder if it is a cultural thing. As the fly-in's around
                                        here,
                                        > seems like the GA turnout is still about the same. The UL guys are
                                        > not coming out in the numbers that they did a few years ago. Maybe
                                        > the ul guys are getting affected by the poor economy more than the Ga
                                        > guys.
                                        >
                                        > Jay D

                                        >That may be a portion of the problem, But more so is the high profile
                                        and awarness of ultralights and their parameters, by the General
                                        Aviation community that has led to increased scrutiny of their
                                        parameters.

                                        Chuck