Flight Demo Report

  • Chad Hilbert
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2003
      While at SnF, on Thursday, I had the opportunity to fly the CT2, now being
      distributed by Flightstar Aircraft. WOW, what an airplane. It is powered
      by the Rotax 912S. It carries 34 US gal of fuel, giving it an endurance of
      seven hours at 130 mph.

      My demo pilot was a young man that was 6' 4", and weighed 280lbs. Even with
      this load, we climbed out at 1200fpm at 80mph. Quite impressive. He told
      me they usually cruised at 5200rpm with the 912S, but many cruised at
      5500rpm. Not knowing the 912S that well I took his work for it. When he
      gave me the controls, I set 5200 on the tach and leveled off. Being very
      carefull to maintain level flight, we were indeed indicating 130mph. Next I
      throtled back to idle to set up a glide at 80mph. It took a long time to
      slow to 80, but when we finally did, the drop of the nose was hardly
      noticable. This airplane has a 17 to 1 glide ratio. When we touched down,
      the ASI was indicating 41mph, with a roll-out that appeared to less than 300
      ft.

      The appointment of the interior was first class. Even at my 5' 3" size, the
      adjustable seat allowed me to reach the rudder pedals. COOL !!!

      After flying the Titan for the last four years, flying the the CT seemed
      like I was sitting in a "room" and flying. The interior is huge, even with
      the "big kid" next to me.

      The only thing I would like to see changed, is the seats be converted to
      "Porta-Potties". Seven hours of flying is a long time.

      Chad
    • genedean1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2003
        In a message dated 04/04/2003 7:21:54 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
        jc.hilbert@... writes:

        > While at SnF, on Thursday, I had the opportunity to fly the CT2, now being
        > distributed by Flightstar Aircraft. WOW, what an airplane. It is powered
        > by the Rotax 912S. It carries 34 US gal of fuel, giving it an endurance of
        > seven hours at 130 mph.
        >
        > My demo pilot was a young man that was 6' 4", and weighed 280lbs. Even
        with
        > this load, we climbed out at 1200fpm at 80mph. Quite impressive. He told
        > me they usually cruised at 5200rpm with the 912S, but many cruised at
        > 5500rpm. Not knowing the 912S that well I took his work for it. When he
        > gave me the controls, I set 5200 on the tach and leveled off. Being very
        > carefull to maintain level flight, we were indeed indicating 130mph. Next
        > throtled back to idle to set up a glide at 80mph. It took a long time to
        > slow to 80, but when we finally did, the drop of the nose was hardly
        > noticable. This airplane has a 17 to 1 glide ratio. When we touched down,
        > the ASI was indicating 41mph, with a roll-out that appeared to less than
        300
        > ft.
        >
        > The appointment of the interior was first class. Even at my 5' 3" size,
        the
        > adjustable seat allowed me to reach the rudder pedals. COOL !!!
        >
        > After flying the Titan for the last four years, flying the the CT seemed
        > like I was sitting in a "room" and flying. The interior is huge, even with
        > the "big kid" next to me.
        >
        > The only thing I would like to see changed, is the seats be converted to
        > "Porta-Potties". Seven hours of flying is a long time.
        >
        > Chad

        Hi Chad,
        The previous distributor had problems with the manufactures "garage"
        approach to parts and backing. Hopefully they have investors now that can
        deliver. It's really a nice setup.... If they can support their product.
        My thoughts only: gene
      • Chad Hilbert
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2003
          Gene,

          Since I'm potentially  "in the market", I checked out the CT, another plane called Sting, and also the new plane Rollison is bringing in.  Talking with the Rollison sales person in their booth, I was told Rollison droped the CT due to "quality problems".  I have to tell you...., I think Rollison needs to change his glasses.  The CT was MUCH MORE impressive in the quality department than their new offering.  In fact, of all the planes I looked at, and I looked very close, asking alot of questions, the new Rollison import would be close to the bottom in this class of airplane, comparing structure, performance, and price.  As far as support goes, I have alot of respect for Tom Peghney at Flightstar.  I don't think that will be an issue with the CT.

          The Sting was a very interesting aircraft.  It too was all composite, impressive performance numbers, and the price I was originally given was $20,000 less than the CT and Rollisons plane.  However, after asking many prying questions, I found out that Stings price was FOB Ukrane.  Add shipping, import and export taxes, a new tax charged by the shipping companies called a "War Tax", etc, etc, and the price would probably be higher than the CT at delivery.  Suffice it to say,  the Importer couldn't give me a final price delivered.   It was also being "Imported" into the US by an Australian company.  This struck me as kinda strange.  The money flowed to Australia, then to the Ukrane, with the plane being shipped direct from the Ukrane.....three months after the deposit is sent to Australia.  Final price wouldn't be know until it actually sat on your door step.  Kinda scary.  I believe, if someone were to go to the Ukrane and talk with the Sting manufacturer, an Import agreement could be reached for direct delivery to the US.  The Australian company is attempting to be the importer for the World.

          Chad wrote:
          > While at SnF, on Thursday, I had the opportunity to fly the CT2, now being
          >  distributed by Flightstar Aircraft.  WOW, what an airplane.  It is powered
          >  by the Rotax 912S.  It carries 34 US gal of fuel, giving it an endurance of
          >  seven hours at 130 mph.

          >  My demo pilot was a young man that was 6' 4", and weighed 280lbs.  Even
          with
          >  this load, we climbed out at 1200fpm at 80mph.  Quite impressive.  He told
          >  me they usually cruised at 5200rpm with the 912S, but many cruised at
          >  5500rpm.  Not knowing the 912S that well I took his work for it.  When he
          >  gave me the controls, I set 5200 on the tach and leveled off.  Being very
          >  carefull to maintain level flight, we were indeed indicating 130mph.  Next
          >  throtled back to idle to set up a glide at 80mph.  It took a long time to
          >  slow to 80, but when we finally did, the drop of the nose was hardly
          >  noticable.  This airplane has a 17 to 1 glide ratio.  When we touched down,
          >  the ASI was indicating 41mph, with a roll-out that appeared to less than
          300
          >  ft.

          >  The appointment of the interior was first class.  Even at my 5' 3" size,
          the
          >  adjustable seat allowed me to reach the rudder pedals.  COOL !!!

          >  After flying the Titan for the last four years, flying the the CT seemed
          >  like I was sitting in a "room" and flying.  The interior is huge, even with
          >  the "big kid" next to me.

          >  The only thing I would like to see changed, is the seats be converted to
          >  "Porta-Potties".  Seven hours of flying is a long time.

          >  Chad

                          My thoughts only: gene

        • genedean1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2003
            Chad,
            I think I wasn't clear in my previous statement. I wasn't dis'n the present
            distributor for the CT. I'm sure Flightstar is a great company. The previous
            distributor had problems on how the product was shipped and the availability
            of replacement parts. I'm sure there was more to it than what I was privy to,
            but that was what I saw. I really like the CT and was bummed to see it change
            distributors but happy to hear it was still available in the states.

            Who is selling the Sting? I've not seen that model yet. That was one of the
            reasons I didn't want to miss this year's SnF. Did you see anything else that
            caught your eye this year? gene
          • Chad Hilbert
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2003
              Gene,

              The Sting is being imported by the same Australian Company that brings in the X-Air.  You may be able to see it on that website.  I only looked at the models in Paradise City, but there were many other new toys on the GA side of SnF.  Our brief stay didn't allow me to spend as much time over there as I would have liked......But there's always next year.......

              Chad  : )
              Who is selling the Sting? I've not seen that model yet.Did you see anything else that
              caught your eye this year?