Re: Use of GPS in private pilot cer

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2013
      --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "circicirci" <acensor@...> wrote:

      > Hi Norm,
      >
      > You said "A non certified GPS works just as well as a certified > But far as I'm concerned there's a good reason it's called "dead" reckoning. ;-) I'm sure in the pre-VOR days many a pilot was killed by navigation errors. For dramatic example, think of Amelia.
      > There were a lot of military planes lost over the USA during WWII,
      > many by navigation failures.

      Don't know how true it is, but over the years I have read that the original term was "ded reckoning", which is a shortening of "deduced reckoning".

      But given the too-often outcome of this type of navigation, "dead" may unfortunately be all-too appropriate...
    • Norman Davis
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2013
        My main point is not to completely rely on any electronic/mechanical device including GPS to do all your navigating for you under VFR conditions. When it malfunctions, then what? It's better tor be well versed in other navigation methods as well. I'm glad to see VOR fading away. I always found it very confusing and more complicated than it needed to be. I like GPS too, but I get frustrated with too many features and they are quite pricy.

        I've been aviating only since 1989, so I'm not that far out of touch!   Back in my "early pioneering" days we had a mysterious alternate system named LORAN. It was being shut down as I was coming on board, so I never really had an opportunity to use it. It looked like an interesting system. I heard recently that the system was being reintroduced, but in more sophisticated form.

        You can use what ever you like. Just don't look at it all the time. There is some beautiful country to view, so don't waste the opportunity.

        Norm Davis

      • Richard Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2013
          The loran system of navigation was shut down in Feburary 8, 2010 as part of the
          pledge (by obama) to eliminate unnecessary federal programs.

          R. Williams

          > My main point is not to completely rely on any electronic/mechanical
          > device including GPS to do all your navigating for you under VFR
          > conditions. When it malfunctions, then what? It's better tor be well
          > versed in other navigation methods as well. I'm glad to see VOR fading
          > away. I always found it very confusing and more complicated than it
          > needed to be. I like GPS too, but I get frustrated with too many
          > features and they are quite pricy.
          >
          > I've been aviating only since 1989, so I'm not that far out of touch!
          >   Back in my "early pioneering" days we had a mysterious alternate
          > system named LORAN. It was being shut down as I was coming on board,
          > so I never really had an opportunity to use it. It looked like an
          > interesting system. I heard recently that the system was being
          > reintroduced, but in more sophisticated form.
          >
          > You can use what ever you like. Just don't look at it all the time.
          > There is some beautiful country to view, so don't waste the opportunity.
          >
          > Norm Davis
          ------- End of Original Message -------
        • xrans
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2013
            Yes and now he has cut military with both a bugdet cut and the automatic 16.5% sequestering cuts
            pity our grand kids
            dr

            ------- End of Original Message -------