Re: A starting point - update

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 64 , Jul 31, 2013
      I picked up my Student Pilot Certificate today, FAA form 8710-2. Now we are even more excited than before. The dream seems "real" now. Next week will be visiting the local club. Anybody here a member of the Foothills Flying Club, in Upland, CA?

      -Alan

      --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <abartz@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone. This is my starting point in my adventure towards LSA activity. I have reached the point in my life that either I start this interest now, or let it go. I choose to start!
      >
      > I know only what I have read in the WIKI sites regarding obtaining a LSA certificate. It seems doable for me. There is an airfield close by and will also be lurking around there to get an idea of how to proceed.
      >
      > The goal is to own and fly a piper type aircraft. I am very impressed by the Graphite Cub I found at CubCrafters. Most every review I have found liked them too.
      >
      > So here I am, ready to learn. Hit me with your best advise, or warnings. Hopefully I will be able to contribute something down the road.
      >
      > Thanks for having me here!
      >
      > Alan
      > Southern California

    • Jim Bair
      Message 64 of 64 , Oct 18, 2013
        Here’s a video I did some time back that doesn’t address Dutch Rolls specifically, but it does address rudder use and lift vector in turns.
        Jim

        Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:20 PM
        Subject: Re: Light-Sport Aircraft Yahoo group RE: A starting point

        Note to self, here is what I have been taught as a Dutch Roll.  There is also a video of a gentleman explaining the how and why on the EAA site:
        In our practice, it is to keep the nose straight through coordinated rudder and aileron use.

        Alan

        From: Alan Bartz <abartz@...>
        Date: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:57 PM
        To: <Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com>

        Okay, first I need to correct my previous post.  I learned Dutch rolls, not Barrel rolls.  So, along with my flight lessons, my terminology is improving as well.

        I have 9 hours under my belt at this point, and feel pretty comfortable in all the maneuvers learned so far.  I find that landing the plane is still an anxious moment for me.  In fact, I dread that moment.  Maybe Im over-thinking the process.  Seems like a lot of information being processed at the same time.  We did some touch and goes today which seem to help  Hopefully by the time I am ready to solo, it clicks.

        Alan

        So Cal

        Hemet Ryan Flight School

        SkyCatcher 162

        ---In sport_aircraft@yahoogroups.com, <rk911@...> wrote:

        alan, my first attempt at taxiing was something for the books. it was not
        pretty. don't know what you're training in but once you get the hang of it
        it'll be second nature to you. just remember not to taxi faster than a
        brisk walk and be sure to orient the ailerons properly for the wind. you'll
        be fine. I still remember the first time I was allowed to take off...what a
        rush!

        '73,
        rich, n9dko
        If you think women are the weaker sex just try pulling the blankets back to
        your side.
        _________________________________
        Today was my second time up. The week dragged by with much anticipation for
        today. I read my student book cover to cover twice, took notes for
        questions I wanted to ask, filled in all the blanks according to the
        aircraft I am studying in, and went through every normal procedure in my
        head for the week.

        This morning I got to do the pre flight, taxi, run-up, and TAKE-OFF under my
        own control. What a rush!

        Once up I learned rudder and aileron control to make 30 degree turns, and
        barrel maneuvers while pointed at a fixed point to keep the plane in line.
        This took a few tries, but then I was able to coordinate the foot pedals
        with the stick and kept it pointing straight through the maneuver.
        The time flew by (quite literally) and before I knew it, I was instructed to
        head back to the airport and make our decent. My instructor took over and
        brought us in for the final and landing.

        I am looking forward to next week! I hope I can at least follow the yellow
        line by then while taxiing. That seems the hardest part so far.