Re: Light-Sport Aircraft Yahoo group Crossing Canada

  • Cescandell47
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 20, 2013
      Once again thanks for clearing that for me Helen.

      From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

      Helen Woods <Helen_Woods@...> wrote:

                 They would hold a private pilot certificate.  Private pilot certificates in most if not all countries have been standardized by ICAO and hence are recognized internationally.

      Helen

      On 3/20/2013 7:49 PM, Cescandell47 wrote:
      Do our canadian counterparts holding same type of certificate or license Fly to the US ? I am a newbie thats why i ask.

      From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

      Helen Woods <Helen_Woods@...> wrote:

      No. If you remember when you filled out your IACRA application the
      computer popped up a message like "does not meet ICAO requirements",
      well that what that meant.

      Helen

      On 3/20/2013 6:39 PM, cescandell47 wrote:
      > Let say I hold a SPL and I have a third medical as well, Can I cross over to Canada?. Thanks

    • Tom Smith
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 20, 2013

        A recent exemption by Transport Canada (TC) makes it more affordable and less onerous for Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) from the United States to be flown into Canada.

        TC’s new Standardized Validation form puts LSA on equal footing with U.S. amateur-built aircraft flying into Canada. U.S. LSA owners simply have to download the Standardized Validation form found at: http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/maintenance/regsdocs/standardised_validation.htm , and follow other entry requirements such as customs, and fly. The $100 fee has been eliminated.

        TC still requires U.S. pilots flying LSA aircraft in Canadian airspace to hold at least a private pilot certificate and a current FAA medical certificate.

        What about Canadian pilots wanting to own and fly a LSA in Canada?
        COPA chaired an industry/government working group whose task was to review how recreational aircraft are classified and make recommendations for changes, including how to accommodate LSA in Canada. An article ‘Status report on Recreational Aviation and Light Sport Aircraft’’ http://www.copanational.org/CAWJan10-2En.cfm , summarizes this initiative, which is still under consideration by TC.

        The reason why I ask is because i was reading about some canadian pilots flying Quadcity challengers to oshkosh.

        From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

        Helen Woods <Helen_Woods@...> wrote:

        No. If you remember when you filled out your IACRA application the
        computer popped up a message like "does not meet ICAO requirements",
        well that what that meant.

        Helen

        On 3/20/2013 6:39 PM, cescandell47 wrote:
        > Let say I hold a SPL and I have a third medical as well, Can I cross over to Canada?. Thanks

      • Cescandell47

          The reason why I ask is because i was reading about some canadian pilots flying Quadcity challengers to oshkosh.

          From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

          Helen Woods <Helen_Woods@...> wrote:

          No. If you remember when you filled out your IACRA application the
          computer popped up a message like "does not meet ICAO requirements",
          well that what that meant.

          Helen

          On 3/20/2013 6:39 PM, cescandell47 wrote:
          > Let say I hold a SPL and I have a third medical as well, Can I cross over to Canada?. Thanks

        • Helen Woods
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 21, 2013
            You can read more on ICAO and international flying in general in the Nov/Dec issue of FAA Safety Briefing:

            http://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing/2012/

            For any of you not familiar with this magazine, I think it is without a doubt the very best aviation magazine out there, and best of all, it is free!  It's free in pdf or several e-reader formats, or for a reasonable fee as a paper version that gets mailed to you for old-fashion readers like myself.

            The editor is an active pilot over here in the DC area and does a great job with getting a collection of fantastic articles from true experts in the industry.  Go subscribe!

            Helen

            On 3/20/2013 10:03 PM, Cescandell47 wrote:
            Tom thank you as well for that information  . I am a sport pilot in florida and just wanted to know in case that I wanted to go to canada. Need a ppl. :-(  thnx

            From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

[...]

            From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

            Helen Woods <Helen_Woods@...> wrote:

            No. If you remember when you filled out your IACRA application the
            computer popped up a message like "does not meet ICAO requirements",
            well that what that meant.

            Helen

            On 3/20/2013 6:39 PM, cescandell47 wrote:
            > Let say I hold a SPL and I have a third medical as well, Can I cross over to Canada?. Thanks

          • Sean S
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 21, 2013
              I wonder if there's ever a chance of ICAO standardizing the Sport Pilot rules so that Sport Pilots can fly Internationally.

              One of the things I'd like to do as a Sport Pilot is to fly my future Kitfox in Alaska, but that means I'd have to fly through Canada to do so. :(

              --- In Sport_Aircraft@yahoogroups.com, Helen Woods <Helen_Woods@...> wrote:

              > You can read more on ICAO and international flying in general in the
              > Nov/Dec issue of FAA Safety Briefing:
              >
              > http://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing/2012/
              >
              > For any of you not familiar with this magazine, I think it is without a
              > doubt the very best aviation magazine out there, and best of all, it is
              > free! It's free in pdf or several e-reader formats, or for a reasonable
              > fee as a paper version that gets mailed to you for old-fashion readers
              > like myself.
              >
              > The editor is an active pilot over here in the DC area and does a great
              > job with getting a collection of fantastic articles from true experts in
              > the industry. Go subscribe!
              >
              > Helen
              >

              > On 3/20/2013 10:03 PM, Cescandell47 wrote:
              > >

              > > Tom thank you as well for that information . I am a sport pilot in
              > > florida and just wanted to know in case that I wanted to go to canada.
              > > Need a ppl. :-( thnx
              > >
              > > From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.
              > >

              > > Tom Smith <tgsmith398@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > A recent exemption by Transport Canada (TC) makes it more affordable
              > > and less onerous for Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) from the United States
              > > to be flown into Canada.
              > >
              > > TC’s new Standardized Validation form puts LSA on equal footing with
              > > U.S. amateur-built aircraft flying into Canada. U.S. LSA owners simply
              > > have to download the Standardized Validation form found at:
              > > http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/maintenance/regsdocs/standardised_validation.htm
              > > , and follow other entry requirements such as customs, and fly. The
              > > $100 fee has been eliminated.
              > >
              > > TC still requires U.S. pilots flying LSA aircraft in Canadian airspace
              > > to hold at least a private pilot certificate and a current FAA medical
              > > certificate.
              > >
              > > What about Canadian pilots wanting to own and fly a LSA in Canada?
              > > COPA chaired an industry/government working group whose task was to
              > > review how recreational aircraft are classified and make
              > > recommendations for changes, including how to accommodate LSA in
              > > Canada. An article ‘Status report on Recreational Aviation and Light
              > > Sport Aircraft’’ http://www.copanational.org/CAWJan10-2En.cfm ,
              > > summarizes this initiative, which is still under consideration by TC.

            • Cescandell47

                The reason why I ask is because i was reading about some canadian pilots flying Quadcity challengers to oshkosh.

                From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 21, 2013
                  LSA is a excellent and safe way of flying and crossing borders is no problem safely. They should.

                  From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

                • Alex
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 22, 2013
                    SUPPOSEDLY a sport pilot could apply to Transport Canada for an exception, but I don't believe anyone has done so let alone gotten an exception.

                    Curious though if one wanted to fly from Washington state to alaska without landing in Canada a sport pilot could legally do that.
                    Or stay over international waters off the west coast?
                    Both seem like dumb ideas but just curious.

                    As I understand it the Canada rules say you have to have a medical certification, but not sure if they specifiy it has to be an FAA recognized medical certification.
                    What if your family doc gave you a fancy certificate saying you are medically fit per FAA have the equivalent of a class 3 certification or whatever?

                    My sport pilot contact at EAA says, unlike the Bahamas, which explicitly allows sport pilots, in his opinion Canada doesn't seem to have any advocates inside pushing for them to do the same.
                    Too bad, as I really can't see any downside to them to doing so, and it would bring in a tad more tourist revenue, albeit not a flood.

                    My two cents.

                    Alex